Just come off Iona sickness bug on board

solentsam

21 hours ago, terrierjohn said:

If people are concerned that they are likely to fall ill on a cruise, or be disturbed by people coughing, then they have the option not to cruise.

Of course they could, but the point was that for most people who are not in environments where they are likely to be infected with noro then it isn't the first thing on their mind when booking - and it isn't as if it is a 'feature' advertised by the cruise lines -

Cruise with us and have a great time*

*subject to x% chance of you being horribly ill due to contagious noro onboard 

Quite a large number of ships are currently experiencing these viruses, including all three Cunard Queens and Celebrity Constellation.  Queen Victoria and Celebrity Constellation are under report by the CDC and Queen Victoria's outbreak is being regularly reported on both sides of the Atlantic as a "mystery illness" rather than noro.

https://www.travelpulse.com/news/cruise/outbreak-aboard-queen-victoria-cruise-ship-leaves-154-passengers-sick

Over the past year the increase of gastro illnesses across all lines has been very large in comparison with previous years.  

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Megabear2 said:

Quite a large number of ships are currently experiencing these viruses, including all three Cunard Queens and Celebrity Constellation.  Queen Victoria and Celebrity Constellation are under report by the CDC and Queen Victoria's outbreak is being regularly reported on both sides of the Atlantic as a "mystery illness" rather than noro.

https://www.travelpulse.com/news/cruise/outbreak-aboard-queen-victoria-cruise-ship-leaves-154-passengers-sick

Over the past year the increase of gastro illnesses across all lines has been very large in comparison with previous years.  

Azamara captain said theirs was a mystery illness being tested in labs somewhere 

Edited by Interestedcruisefan
  • Like 1

I think the latest, or one of the latest, version/s of Covid gives gastric symptoms?  Can be tested for in a stool sample using a regular LFT

I’ll never understand some people’s reluctance to carry out basic hygiene measures 🤷‍♂️ 

25 minutes ago, Interestedcruisefan said:

Azamara captain said theirs was a mystery illness being tested in labs 

There are a lot of this things at present.  My viral throat and chest infection is also apparently one of those "mystery ilnesses" according to the Barbados doctors.  I first fell I'll on day 5 of my holiday - 18th January - and only on Friday just passed been taken off antibiotics.  The sore throat and choking thankfully now ceased but I still get totally unexpected coughing fits which leave me gasping for air.  I currently have a follow appointment next Monday.

My GP tells me they are seeing very large numbers of gastro and chest/throat viruses this year, many from people returning from holidays in areas which are in their summer season which of course South Africa and the Caribbean are. Guess we were just unlucky this time round.

• Like 1

There is a lot about. I’ve not been on a cruise, but have been ill now for 2 weeks, 1 wk of very high heart rate and not keeping anything in me, and now into the 3rd week of the big D...  Strange gastro illness. Still awaiting a result from Dr. (Should be back, so being chased by Dr). More tests later this week.   I want to know what it was! 

I wash my hands all the time, but we were out and about the weekend beforehand, so could have picked it up anywhere. Hubby is fine… We both always use the sinks in the buffet before (and after). 

7 minutes ago, Goosebear Mum said:

There is a lot about. I’ve not been on a cruise, but have been ill now for 2 weeks, 1 wk of very high heart rate and not keeping anything in me, and now into the 3rd week of the big D...  Strange gastro illness. Still awaiting a result from Dr. (Should be back, so being chased by Dr). More tests later this week.   I want to know what it was! 

I wash my hands all the time, but we were out and about the weekend beforehand, so could have picked it up anywhere. Hubby is fine… We both always use the sinks in the buffet before (and after). 

Best wishes for a swift recovery and I hope you start to feel better soon.

• Like 1

I am allergic to the hand gel so concentrate extra hard on frequent hand washing on cruises. I've done over 30, including some where norovirus was on board

Never caught it. Never caught covid either. I think hand washing is the best protection. 

• Like 2

On 2/10/2024 at 12:28 PM, solentsam said:

HI just returned from two weeks in Canaries on Iona was hearing quite a few pax had sickness/tummy bug on board. lucky we never had it. So anyone joining today remember to wash your hands frequently.

It still amazes us that so many people out there just don't bother to wash their hands after going to the loo,or using the hand gel stations.Covid was a warning for all of us and something more severe will turn up.Whenever we're out we try not to touch anything,just remember that almost all contact is done on the palm of your hands.If you can,why not open doors with your foot,knee or elbow.Stop using your finger to operate buttons on a lift or cashpoint,use your knuckle.The palm of your hand is what transports a large majority of these various bugs.Then the other much more difficult one is keeping your distance as much as possible due to airborn germs,not an easy thing to do on a cruise ship.

46 minutes ago, WECRUISEUK said:

It still amazes us that so many people out there just don't bother to wash their hands after going to the loo,or using the hand gel stations.Covid was a warning for all of us and something more severe will turn up.Whenever we're out we try not to touch anything,just remember that almost all contact is done on the palm of your hands.If you can,why not open doors with your foot,knee or elbow.Stop using your finger to operate buttons on a lift or cashpoint,use your knuckle.The palm of your hand is what transports a large majority of these various bugs.Then the other much more difficult one is keeping your distance as much as possible due to airborn germs,not an easy thing to do on a cruise ship.

Alrhough I agree that we should all follow your personal hygiene suggestions, I suspect that If we followed the other actions every day, then the outcome could well be a very weak immune system.

As my old Mum used to say a little muck never hurt anyone, and after following her advice I have managed to reach 80 without suffering seriously from any gastro illnesses or from repeated coughs and cold.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

44 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

Alrhough I agree that we should all follow your personal hygiene suggestions, I suspect that If we followed the other actions every day, then the outcome could well be a very weak immune system.

As my old Mum used to say a little muck never hurt anyone, and after following her advice I have managed to reach 80 without suffering seriously from any gastro illnesses or from repeated coughs and cold.

Meanwhile we are mid to late 50s and really focussed on using the sanitiser everywhere we could and still caught what everybody else had on azamara

Edited by Interestedcruisefan

28 minutes ago, Interestedcruisefan said:

Meanwhile we are mid to late 50s and really focussed on using the sanitiser everywhere we could and still caught what everybody else had on azamara

Perhaps you're not keeping your immune system topped up.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Interestedcruisefan said:

39 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

Perhaps you're not keeping your immune system topped up.

Sometimes could be down to what you drink or eat that throws your system out .

We have been viewing a series of a couple's travels around India/Pakistan and 

they both learnt the hard way with the street foods ice/salad and dips, that the

locals were quite happy devouring .

As kids growing up, going to the east coast on a caravan holiday,one of my younger

sisters only had to have a drink of their tap water or make a cuppa with it  and she

was running for the loo and ill for a good day.

We used to take bottles of our own tap water and eventually weaned her onto

the local stuff.

Not saying a full ship comes down with this but wonder how many do and think 

they had other infections ?🤔

• Like 4

review text:
27/1/2024 Initially impressed with size, captain mega sense humour. 15 days cruise with first 4 days/ 3 nights at sea no problem got to know way round ship. Day 4 Medeira tour very nice day out. Day 5 visited Tennerife very nice wandering around. BUT then that's where our cruise ended end of the day nice evening meal in the Aqua restaurant on board all lovely food, within 1hr leaving restaurant had to return to cabin felt extremely bloated suffice to say it didn't stay in me long. I was so ill had to ring medical center to be told I had Gastric Enteritis and confirmed to cabin for 3 days my partner became ill next day both now in isolation. Day 9 I left cabin felt weak and dizzy so quickly got some food and returned to cabin. We learnt that Norovirus on board, 4 cabins on our floor in isolation too. By time we docked day 15 10th Feb we still couldn't eat well and still felt not 100% . We only had 4 days of a 14 night cruise actually enjoying our break away. The ship we hope had deep clean after disembarking. RUINED

On 2/13/2024 at 1:51 PM, terrierjohn said:

We are taking a short break at Warners at Bembridge at the moment. IoW grow lots of garlic.  Not much coughing here and no vampires, so far. Garlic may be the universal savior🧛‍♂️🧌

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

On 2/12/2024 at 2:42 PM, Eddie99 said:

I think the latest, or one of the latest, version/s of Covid gives gastric symptoms?  Can be tested for in a stool sample using a regular LFT

I’ll never understand some people’s reluctance to carry out basic hygiene measures 🤷‍♂️ 

Perhaps the cruise companies could carry out that test at check in.?😉

On 2/13/2024 at 1:51 PM, terrierjohn said:

Perhaps my memory is going, but I don't remember all these allergies and inolerances around when I was younger. Late night, west end club and some dubious looking grub on the walk home. I doubt the hot dog stall on Chelsea Bridge, or the jellied eel van would have got many stars in 1968.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

8 hours ago, zap99 said:

Perhaps my memory is going, but I don't remember all these allergies and inolerances around when I was younger. Late night, west end club and some dubious looking grub on the walk home. I doubt the hot dog stall on Chelsea Bridge, or the jellied eel van would have got many stars in 1968.

Probably always been around, but there wasn’t the medical means to identify them. My wife wasn’t diagnosed as coeliac until her 60s, she had suffered from “bad stomachs” for years  but despite many tests and investigations the cause wasn’t discovered. It is genetic, with both her daughter and grandson both diagnosed coeliacs. 

I have an allergy to strawberries since I was a young child and was hospitalised following a reaction to eating them, my mother had a peanut allergy, we couldn’t have then in the house when I Was growing up. 

• Like 4

You'd think that after the "events" of a few years ago that there'd be lines at the hand-washing stations. Instead they seem lonelier than they've ever been.

I guess that's one more thing people are now "over"...

• Like 1

On 2/10/2024 at 12:28 PM, solentsam said:

HI just returned from two weeks in Canaries on Iona was hearing quite a few pax had sickness/tummy bug on board. lucky we never had it. So anyone joining today remember to wash your hands frequently.

Think I am correct in saying that Norovirus can lurk in furniture such as chairs and sofa's. My wife caught it a few years ago on the last night before disembarkation. It wasn't handled very well either as I informed the medical staff and had a call asking if I wished for some breakfast the following morning, which I said I did. Also they arranged for a taxi to take us from Southampton to Ipswich. No breakfast and no taxi and my my wife was slumped over the handle of a baggage trolley whilst I marched back and forth to the reception at Southampton docks to see when the taxi would turn up. It didn't and in the end I asked if I got a taxi and paid for it would they (P&O) reimburse me, they said yes, so I got a taxi and we went home.  

2 hours ago, Cruisemeister2002 said:

Think I am correct in saying that Norovirus can lurk in furniture such as chairs and sofa's. My wife caught it a few years ago on the last night before disembarkation. It wasn't handled very well either as I informed the medical staff and had a call asking if I wished for some breakfast the following morning, which I said I did. Also they arranged for a taxi to take us from Southampton to Ipswich. No breakfast and no taxi and my my wife was slumped over the handle of a baggage trolley whilst I marched back and forth to the reception at Southampton docks to see when the taxi would turn up. It didn't and in the end I asked if I got a taxi and paid for it would they (P&O) reimburse me, they said yes, so I got a taxi and we went home.  

You are correct, it’s said it can survive for up to 12 days on carpets, curtains and soft furnishing. 

• Like 1