Silver Endeavour (Pond Inlet via Greenland to Iceland) vs Silver Wind (Iceland to Greenland)

BreakfastCruiser

We're really struggling to decide between the below 2x cruises:
1. Silver Endeavour - 16 days from Pond Inlet to Reykjavik in late August (lots of beautiful nature in Canada and Greenland)

2. Silver Wind - 12 days from Reyjavik to Kangerlussuaq in mid August (namely Greenland, but lots more of it)

If we consider price and duration as a non-factor - any tips from experienced Silversea cruisers that have either sailed on both these ships or have done both/similar itineraries? We are more keen on nature, wildlife and great food on board than e.g. culture/history. 

Right now the benefits we see of the Endeavour is that the ship is much newer and seems to have better crew-to-guest and gross tonnage but somehow it feels like there are fewer options for dining/bars and the placement of the pool next to the grill seems so awkward? Do people swim while people are eating burgers 0.5 meter from you at table? The itinerary does seem more interesting as there are fewer cruise lines doing such a route.

Then the benefits of the Wind is that its like a mini Silver Spirit/Dawn (we have sailed on both) so you know what you are getting. Its also more like a cruise ship than a super yacht but the gross tonnage is still smaller. But also feels like the outdoor areas e.g. by the pool will be quite cold since no heaters? 

We are on Endeavour this September.  We didn't even consider the layout of the ship, its restaurants or its pool - our only consideration was the amazing itinerary of eastern Greenland.  We saw an ad on tv showing polar bears, then $28,000 each (within less than 24 hours) we were booked!  it was later we found out about butlers etc 🙂

• Haha 1

I can’t compare, but Endeavour is a great ship. I booked the Arctic for this year after being on her in Antarctica for 18 days last year. The pool is a pretty cool design and becomes a hard floor during meal times. Besides the Grill, there is La Dame (hardly any bookings on my cruise, as far as I could tell), Il Terrazzino, the Restaurant, and the Arts Cafe, as well as in-suite dining.

I’ll be back in Antarctica on Silver Cloud next year so it will be interesting to compare.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I did the Endeavour itinerary you mentioned last August and I am crazy about the ship. (The pool is covered with a temporary floor during meals so it's not weird at all to eat there. ) The restaurants are lovely and were uncrowded when I went; the ship was about half full. The main bar was much nicer than that on the Wind. Outdoor dining didn't happen when I cruised but I imagine they sometimes open up the grill if the weather is fine (ours wasn't). The Endeavour's definitely a cut above the Wind, which I also like a lot.

The Endeavour itinerary was interesting enough to lure me in, despite having cruised on the Cloud from Kangerlussuaq to Canada a few years ago. There were some repeat stops, but it didn't matter. On both cruises the itinerary was a bit flexible by necessity; weather and seas can really impact getting to stop in every scheduled harbor. I thought the Pond Inlet cruise had more spectacular scenery and we saw more varied wildlife than on the Cloud (polar bears, walrus, narwhal, seals, whales, birds of all sorts). The Canadian Arctic is unforgettable!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 2/20/2024 at 6:10 PM, bubbulz said:

I can’t compare, but Endeavour is a great ship. I booked the Arctic for this year after being on her in Antarctica for 18 days last year. The pool is a pretty cool design and becomes a hard floor during meal times. Besides the Grill, there is La Dame (hardly any bookings on my cruise, as far as I could tell), Il Terrazzino, the Restaurant, and the Arts Cafe, as well as in-suite dining.

I’ll be back in Antarctica on Silver Cloud next year so it will be interesting to compare.

when are you going?

We did the Endeavour itinerary you mentioned last year and it was great. The ship is the main star…beautifully designed. Also the 2 storey tall windows in the Grill were great when we went to Prince Christian Sound.

• Thanks 1