Dairy Allergy and Specialty Dining

tirsabel

Hi

We will be cruising with a kiddo with a dairy and nut allergy (except almonds). His palate has developed to be quite adult like so finding options usually isn't a problem. However I was wondering if Princess accommodates dairy allergies at Alfredo's or at Sabatini's? And by this I would mean dairy free cheese options, not just pizza without cheese. We've seen their new vegan menu and that with a combination of the regular menu will be great and we know to tell our waiter the night before about the next day's meal selections.

Also wondering about the trident grill and if they use dairy free buns for burgers etc. Cross contamination is not an issue for him at all.

Thanks!

One minor correction: You won't be telling your waiter the night before. The head waiter (or dining room manager - I forget what they're called today) will bring him the next night's menu (and the next day's noon menu if it's a sea day) and will take his order. The waiters are not trained to deal with the allergies. They should be able to modify some items on the regular menu to satisfy his restrictions.

For Sabatini's or Crown Grill, I recommend you talk with the head waiter the day before. He will tell you what they can modify the meet his restrictions. I have no experience with Alfredo's, but I recommend you talk with the head waiter there the day before also.

• Like 1

I regularly buy dairy free cheese, dairy free yoghurt, dairy free cream and dairy free sour cream.  However I have yet to find any of these on a Princess ship.  They do have a small range of non-dairy milks available, and more vegan (including dairy -free) options are popping up on the menus.

Thanks! yes we will tell the appropriate dining room manager.  We were hoping for some independence for the kids on the cruise, meaning they could grab food if they were hungry so was just trying to see what was available dairy free routinely outside the main dining room/meals.

I was hoping with the advent of the vegan menus there would be more dairy free options on board in general

At the buffet, you can ask what items are dairy free. I’ve done that several times and they get someone knowledgeable from the kitchen to walk you through the choices. I don’t think they will make anything special, but at least you can find out what’s safe.

I’m allergic to Dairy. I’m not IgE but I have a rare allergy called FPIES. They do not offer dairy free cheeses onboard Princess cruises. I used to get complementary cheese free pizza at Alfredo’s/GiGi’s but now they charge. I rarely can find anything Dairy Free at the International Café. The MDR and buffet employees are super helpful and take great care of me. If you use Room Service make sure you call and speak to someone in charge because I have been given dairy products on more than one occasion. It really makes me angry but you may have a charge if you talk to someone on the phone. 

Have you sent an email to the dietary department? Let me know if you need any information. 

19 minutes ago, BamaVol said:

At the buffet, you can ask what items are dairy free. I’ve done that several times and they get someone knowledgeable from the kitchen to walk you through the choices. I don’t think they will make anything special, but at least you can find out what’s safe.

They will make you something special if you let them know of food allergies. The chef always walks the line with me and offers to have something made for me. I really appreciate them. 

• Thanks 1