Comparison of cabins

Iloveketo

On 10/12/2024 at 9:05 AM, zzookiemookiw said:

Just fyi: we are currently onboard the Viking Sea in 4080 & we have the tender boat directly below us. Thankfully we only have one port we have to tender to on our itinerary, but if there were more I think the noise would be tiresome. Otherwise we love where the cabin is located.

We were in a DV room on deck 4 above the tenders on a cruise with multiple tender ports and never found noise from launching & retrieving the tenders to be bothersome. They launch the tenders in the morning and retrieve them at the end of the day. It isn't as though they would be running the tenders up and down all day long.

In comparing the prices of DV to PV, everyone is talking about the number of dollars, but you should also look at the percentage difference between the two categories. Number of dollars varies mainly by the length of the cruise, while percentage difference varies widely, seemingly based more on the itinerary than length. I have seen the difference as little as 13% (definitely worth it, in my opinion) to more than 50% difference (definitely not worth it). The added space is nice. Each person has to decide how much value there is to them in the differences between the types of stateroom, from size to timing of shore excursion booking, alcohol in the minibar, etc.

Edited by AZ_Tim
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, AZ_Tim said:

We were in DV room on deck 4 above the tenders on a cruise with multiple tender ports and never found noise from launching & retrieving the tenders to be bothersome. They launch the tenders in the morning and retrieve them at the end of the day. It isn't as though they would be running the tenders up and down all day long.

In comparing the prices of DV to PV, everyone is talking about the number of dollars, but you should also look at the percentage difference between the two categories. Number of dollars varies mainly by the length of the cruise, while percentage difference varies widely, seemingly based more on the itinerary than length. I have seen the difference as little as 13% (definitely worth it, in my opinion) to more than 50% difference (definitely not worth it). The added space is nice. Each person has to decide how much value there is to them in the differences between the types of stateroom, from size to timing of shore excursion booking, alcohol in the minibar, etc.

I have to agree with you on the tenders and them never having been a problem as far as noise is concerned. We actually prefer deck 4 for many reasons 
I actually like the smaller DV cabins, as I can see the TV better from bed. Lol

We always buy the drinks package, so the alcohol in the fridge is of no interest to us. 
We have booked PV for 3 of our 13 cruises mainly to have an earlier date for booking paid excursions. We missed out on all the paid excursions we wanted on our Rome to Barcelona cruise when we were booked in DV. So, now if something Viking offers is a make or break excursion for our enjoyment of a cruise, we book PV. 
We were upgraded to a suite once and though Viking did a wonderful job on our laundry at no cost to us… I didn’t like having to wait from morning on one day until the afternoon on the next day to get it back. 

On 10/6/2024 at 6:55 PM, Steerpike58 said:

I think the 'side of ship' issue is complicated.  What about when the ship is in port - sometimes you are on the side facing the port, and it could be beautiful (like Valetta) or ugly (like many industrial ports).  Also, while one side 'faces land', during the actual sailing you may see a lot of outlying islands from the 'sea' side that you didn't know existed! 

At least that’s better than being on a river cruise when you wake up looking at another ship. After this cruise, we agreed that our veranda stateroom felt like an inside cabin since we had to keep our curtains closed all the time.

5 hours ago, odblnt said:

At least that’s better than being on a river cruise when you wake up looking at another ship. After this cruise, we agreed that our veranda stateroom felt like an inside cabin since we had to keep our curtains closed all the time.

Unfortunately that is River Cruising.  So many are disappointed when they find out that these ships raft and they almost share a cabin with someone in the ship beside.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 10/15/2024 at 6:42 AM, odblnt said:

This reminded me of the first time we saw a Viking ship.  2015 we were on a Baltic Cruise on Princess Royal (first and last Big Box ship for us!) Opened our curtains the morning we docked in Tallin and felt like I was looking right into the bridge of the Viking Star. This was taken from our balcony and I really felt closer than the picture looks.  We had been reading about Viking so it was nice to get a look at the Star up close, and we took her on our first Viking Cruise.  

DSC05911.JPG

DSC05899.JPG

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, sharkster77 said:

In your second picture, the Viking ship is the second from the right, correct?  If so, it looks tiny compared to the other 3 ships.  Of course, it's not that the Viking ship is small, but that the other 3 are ginormous.

Looks like an Aida, Carnival, and Princess ship in that order for the big 3. The little one would be Viking. And yes, it does look and feel much smaller than a Princess ship. Even without poster saying they were on the Royal Princess.... it had all of the hallmarks of a Princess ship.

41 minutes ago, Mike07 said:

Looks like an Aida, Carnival, and Princess ship in that order for the big 3. The little one would be Viking. And yes, it does look and feel much smaller than a Princess ship. Even without poster saying they were on the Royal Princess.... it had all of the hallmarks of a Princess ship.

I zoomed in on the second ship from the left and it was the Costa Luminose.  If you look at the UR corner of the first picture of the Royal you will see the Seawalk.  The Royal was the first ship to have it.  The really fun thing about the Royal and Regal was their horns played the Love Boat Theme.  When we were leaving St. Petersburg on the second day the Regal had arrived.  As we sailed away  our Royal and the Regal took turns "playing" the theme.  When we left Southampton on the first day the Captain played it as we passed the Queen Mary, he said he did it "just because we can!" She responded back but just a plain old horn.  

Edited by Ready to Sail!
  • Like 2

Hello fellow cruisers.

I have a question on cabin ES 3001 or 3000 on Viking Sea.  The itinerary we want has very limited availability. This is one of the cabins that is available.  

Has anyone stayed in either of these cabin?

Thanks,