Should We Lock Our Luggage

GerriJS

You should definitely lock your luggage, EXCEPT for checked baggage on a flight (unless you're using TSA-approved locks). If Customs needs to inspect your bag, they will ask you to unlock it.

You don't need to buy TSA approved locks..........just use zip ties and the TSA will cut them off and replace them, if necessary. Just remember to leave a little slack and pack a small pair of scissors or a nail trimmer in an outside pocket so you can cut them off easily.

Gerri, I'm assuming you're asking about locking your luggage for the cruise, not the airline, right?

You didn't say which cruiseline, but Carnival says "Your luggage must be locked before handing it over to the porters at the pier, and also locked before putting in the hallway the last evening of the cruise."

I would think this would have to do with the fact that the porters at the pier are NOT cruiseline employees. They are all employed by the Port Authority of the homeport.

I bought 21 small locks, this should do it, I should Probably bring a lock cutter too! Each piece of luggage requires 5 locks. Might be a good business, selling Cruisers Padlocks for their luggage.

Thanks for the answers .

Susie, :) Gerri & Harvey 4/23/06 Conquest..first cruise

Archived