Maiden name question

Sayyadina

This is probably a stupid question, but have there ever been any problems with married women who's names are different than those on their birth certificates? I haven't seen anything about this on the boards, and I can't imagine that it would be a major problem and no one would be talking about it.... :o

Thanks!

Jody

Your Government Photo ID proves your identity, not your citizenship. Your birth certificate proves your citizenship, not your identity. For most women your photo ID is in your married name (its assumed you had to prove the name change to get it already), but they can compare both first names and birthdates on the BC to the ID.

Your Government Photo ID proves your identity, not your citizenship. Your birth certificate proves your citizenship, not your identity. For most women your photo ID is in your married name (its assumed you had to prove the name change to get it already), but they can compare both first names and birthdates on the BC to the ID.

OOOOoooohhhhh. This makes sense, I hadn't thought of it that way. Very logical. :rolleyes: Thanks!

Jody

Jody, I think they realize that MOST women have a different name now from when they were born.:D

The main thing they look at is that your cruise documents and your photo ID have the same name.

sapphirejules, you might have a problem with your booking name and the name on your driver's license not being the same. Cruise lines and US Immigration realize that most women won't have the same name as they did when they were born. The problem you're going to have is that they DO compare the last name on your documents with the last name on your photo ID and if those don't match, you could very well have a problem. The cruise lines always tell you to make sure the names on the photo ID match the name on your cruise documents. If you have time, I would switch your booking name to the name that's on your photo ID. I'm surprised Carnival told you that because when I called with the same question, I was told to book the cruise in the name that's on my photo ID, because that's what they will look for when you check in----same name on documents and driver's license.

sapphirejules, you might have a problem with your booking name and the name on your driver's license not being the same. Cruise lines and US Immigration realize that most women won't have the same name as they did when they were born. The problem you're going to have is that they DO compare the last name on your documents with the last name on your photo ID and if those don't match, you could very well have a problem. The cruise lines always tell you to make sure the names on the photo ID match the name on your cruise documents. If you have time, I would switch your booking name to the name that's on your photo ID. I'm surprised Carnival told you that because when I called with the same question, I was told to book the cruise in the name that's on my photo ID, because that's what they will look for when you check in----same name on documents and driver's license.

Your passport also has your photo in it!! No need for DL!!

yes, wizfourfam, your passport does have a picture, but the original poster doesn't have a passport and is only using a birth certificate, as is sapphirejules. That's where the problem is: they don't have passports and are only using BC's and a photo ID. If their cruise documents aren't in the same name as their photo ID, there will be a problem when they try and board the ship.

It happens more often than you think..mostly because of weddings. Last year My wife an I got married on a Saturday and left on a cruise honeymoon on Sunday. Her passport was in her maiden name, and the cruise was booked in her married name. As long as she had her marriage license with her (in Maryland, you get it when you get married) we had no problem. We just showed passport and marriage license.

-TJ

Archived