Cruise line recommendation for NE/Canada

SusanDK

I'm researching cruises to NE/Canada for the autumn (Aug-Oct) and looking for recommendations. Probably 10-12 days would be ideal.

We would like a smaller ship so primarily looking at Silversea, Seabourn, Regent, Viking, Oceania, Azamara. From exploring itineraries, I think we'd like a stop in Saguenay or at the very least, to cruise the Saguenay Fjord. We are more into nature and scenery than big cities, would enjoy the maritime atmosphere of the area. We like to walk so are most likely to explore ports on our own, but also open to small group excursions.

On board, we'd like at least some entertainment / music but doesn't need to be full scale Broadway-type products (obviously won't be based on looking at smaller ships). I enjoy access to a good thermal spa (steam, sauna, plunge).

I am doing searches in the respective cruise forums and reading reviews, but thought I'd post here to get suggestions from others. Which cruise lines, ships and itineraries have you most enjoyed in this region? We prefer casual luxury - not formal or stuffy, but a nice uncrowded ship with resort casual attire being acceptable most/all evenings.

Thank you.

My first priority would be Quebec city as embarkation or debarkation port.   Then spend a night or two there. 

I agree with you to include Saguenay.  That was our favorite stop.  The sail in / sail out of the Fjord is beautiful.   However, I don't think it is a good stop for walking on your own, there is not that much around the ship.    We took an excursion to the national park in which you hike up a trail to see the fjord from above.   It was a very nice hike.   

• Like 1

8 hours ago, CCJack said:

My first priority would be Quebec city as embarkation or debarkation port.   

Just circling back on this comment after looking at options. It appears that only Silversea starts or ends in Quebec City from among the cruise lines I mentioned (i.e. the smaller ships). All the others I was considering start or end in Montreal.

In addition, I'll be flying from Orlando to/from the cruise and have daily direct flights between MCO and Montreal, but only a couple days a week with direct flights to/from Quebec City. 

4 hours ago, SusanDK said:

Just circling back on this comment after looking at options. It appears that only Silversea starts or ends in Quebec City from among the cruise lines I mentioned (i.e. the smaller ships). All the others I was considering start or end in Montreal.

In addition, I'll be flying from Orlando to/from the cruise and have daily direct flights between MCO and Montreal, but only a couple days a week with direct flights to/from Quebec City. 

Flights would certainly be easier/ cheaper to Montreal and a big city would offer lots to do.   Old town quebec city is a beautiful place however, i would try to include that as a port stop if possible.   Of course, another option is to drive between the two and see both before a cruise.