Hotels in Copenhagen

We have settled on a cruise but would like to spend a couple of days in Copenhagen first.

The cruise line's rates for a precruise stay were, to say the least, exorbitant. Looking around for a hotel has become a challenge between location and price.

Any suggestions?

Thank you

Aileen

We stayed at the Cab Inn - City location. It's a couple blocks south of Tivoli and the main railroad station. Of interest, the rooms are very small and designed like a cabin in a cruise ship. (Thus the name, Cab Inn.) The same with the bathrooms.

Still over $100/night but about as cheap as you can find in Copenhagen.

Visit www.cabinn.com for information and reservations.

BobK/Orlando

I'll check it out. I have also heard about the Brochner Hotel chain in Copenhagen. Any experiences with this hotel group?

Hotels include the Hotel Danmark (offering an extremely low rate right now), the Ibsen, and a couple of others. The Danmark is about a block from Tivoli from the looks of a map.

Any advice is welcome!

Aileen

We're booked at The Square at approx. $200 US p.n. pre cruise end of August for 9/2 cruise on Princess Star. It has had excellent reviews from several boards and I have done quite a bit of research. Wanted to stay on Starwood Points at Palace but decided to hold onto the points after Palace reviews.

Carrin

Stayed one night at The Square last Sep.. They have specials on their website -- complimentary bottle of Champagne in your room on arrival and includes a great Breakfast Buffet. Absolutely great location -- across from the plaza where Stroget starts and 5 min walk to Tivoli and 5 min walk to a grocery store if you want to pick up water and wine before boarding. They have a storage room for luggage where you can leave your luggage securely if you want to wander about after check out. When the luggage room was full, they had a chain Conga Style looping around the luggage. Enjoy! /Sultan

We're booked at The Square at approx. $200 US p.n. pre cruise end of August for 9/2 cruise on Princess Star. It has had excellent reviews from several boards and I have done quite a bit of research. Wanted to stay on Starwood Points at Palace but decided to hold onto the points after Palace reviews.

Carrin

Stayed one night at The Square last Sep.. They have specials on their website -- complimentary bottle of Champagne in your room on arrival and includes a great Breakfast Buffet. Absolutely great location -- across from the plaza where Stroget starts and 5 min walk to Tivoli and 5 min walk to a grocery store if you want to pick up water and wine before boarding. They have a storage room for luggage where you can leave your luggage securely if you want to wander about after check out. When the luggage room was full, they had a chain Conga Style looping around the luggage. Enjoy! /Sultan

We choose the Square as well for our pre & post cruise stay. Good reviews, good location, breakfast, tickets to Tivoli on precruise stay and a bottle of champagne post cruise stay for under $200 a night.

PTC

I recommend the Copenhagen Marriott.

Hi Steve,

I keep reading that the Marriott is nice but...... the location.....posters don't seem to like the location.

I also keep reading that the Marriott is a close walk to everything. If it's a close walk to everything how can something be wrong with the location?

Exactly what is meant by a close walk? How long would it take us to walk from Marriott to the Square area.

Also, down by the Square, what is special about that area? Do they have musicians, etc, like the French Quarter in New Orleans?

Even though we are booked with Marriott we are thinking of switching to a hotel on the water with a balcony (also listed as a close walk to everything).

Also, The Square Hotel, does it have a view? Anything to look at? Is location the only thing good about it?

Thanks

Hi Steve,

I keep reading that the Marriott is nice but...... the location.....posters don't seem to like the location.

I also keep reading that the Marriott is a close walk to everything. If it's a close walk to everything how can something be wrong with the location?

Exactly what is meant by a close walk? How long would it take us to walk from Marriott to the Square area.

Also, down by the Square, what is special about that area? Do they have musicians, etc, like the French Quarter in New Orleans?

Even though we are booked with Marriott we are thinking of switching to a hotel on the water with a balcony (also listed as a close walk to everything).

Also, The Square Hotel, does it have a view? Anything to look at? Is location the only thing good about it?

Thanks

Hi CamelliaCity:

You have some very good questions and concerns. I too had the same thoughts when I booked my trip last year. I'll do my best to answer your questions and share my opinions.

Hotels I liked when I did my hotel research were:

Copenhagen Marriott

71 Nyhavn Hotel

The Admiral Hotel

Radisson SAS Scandinavian Hotel

Radisson SAS Royal Hotel

And for those who can afford it, the Hotel D'Angleterre

When I lived in Copenhagen, back in 1980-81, I did not pay too much attention to hotels since I was on a student budget, and already living in a Danish home. But, I do recall admiring the Hotel D'Angleterre. I always thought I wanted to stay there. But, for our trip last summer, it was still too expensive for us. This hotel is very near Nyhavn Harbor, one of my favorite areas of the city, and a the beginning/ending of Stroget, the mile long pedestrian street. However, it is an older hotel, and for my personal interest, I'd prefer something newer.

Another good site to review hotels is on Tripadvisor: http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotels-g189541-Copenhagen_Zealand-Hotels.html

When deciding upon a hotel for our pre and post cruise stay, like everyone else, I considered price, location, and the hotel itself. As for the price, I discovered on http://www.biddingfortravel.com that quite a few posters were winning the Copenhagen Marriott hotel for as low as $93. By this time, I was pretty sure I wanted to stay at the Marriott and placed a bid for the same amount and my bid was accepted for all our nights before and after the cruise. Priceline can be an awsome way to save money, and it definately helped us. But, eventhough the Marriott is often awarded, even sometimes at lower rates, I don't believe everyone's bids result in a winning bid. I guess it all depends upon the hotel's occupency rate for the dates bidded. I know I placed a bid very early, probably six months in advance, I don't know if that made a difference or not in my bids being accepted. However, even without the priceline bid, the rates for the Marriott last year were not that bad, and I would have felt comfortable paying the regular hotel rate.

As for the Marriott hotel itself, my Danish friends probably described it best as being a "very American hotel." They loved it and were amazed at the $93 rate I paid. They even indicated they would like to stay there sometime themselves, despite that they already live in the Copenhagen suburbs. The hotel is relatively new, maybe 3-4 years old. We had a room with two beds, and I think they may have been queen beds. This was a big plus for us, especially when in Europe it can be difficult to find a room with two beds, or at least two beds that are not single beds. My Mom especially liked the down comforter on the bed. Service at the hotel is excellent, like the service on a cruise ship, you're made to feel special. Also, long before our arrival, I had emailed the hotel who was able to get me a better rate on a car rental. We were going to spend a day touring the country and visiting castles, all of which can easily be done by train. But due to limited time, and traveling with my parents, it was just easier to rent a car. The staff at the hotel was extremely helpful with the car rental, and made it so easy for us. The car was available for us at the front door the day we rented, and for dropping off, we just left it at the front door for the hotel staff to take care of. In addition, the hotel itself is very beautiful, new, clean, and modern. I was so happy I chose the Marriott, and this is the only place I'd want to stay when I return, whether or not I get a Priceline rate.

But, there are other great hotel choices in Copenhagen too. I am please to read positive comments about the other hotels mentioned on this board such as the Cab Inn, the Palace Hotel, and the Square hotel.

One thing that is considered a negative for the Marriott, according to posters on this board, is it's location. Especially in comparision to the hotels mentioned above. As for the location of the Marriott, like you, I too wondered just how far it was from the center of the city. In comparison to hotels such as the Palace Hotel, or the Square, these hotels are located directly on the town hall square. Where as the Marriott is located about a 15 min. walk away. The Danish term for this area of the square is Radhuspladsen, which kind of translates into town hall square. Basically, this area is a square in the center of the city where the City's town hall is located, and the crossroads of some major streets. Kind of like Times Square in NYC, only Times Square is on major steroids, and Copenhagen's Radhuspladsen is kind of simple in comparison. There are even billboards, and billboard lights on buildings surrounding the square. It's also adjacent to Tivoli, and just a long bock away from the main train station. In addition, it's also the entrance or end of Stroget, the pedestrian street. As for street entertainment as you referred to in New Orleans, this is not really the area where such activity would take place. From my recollection, it's the place where protest generrally occur. For street entertainment, this is found on Stroget itself, and along the cafes at Nyhavn harbor. Last year, while having beers with my Danish friend at an outdoor cafe in Nyhavn, a Hara Krishna troup played as they walked by. This cracked me up. But there were also other entertainers walking by which were interesting too.

Simply, Radhuspladsen, or the town hall square, is a convenient location becasue it's close to Tivoli, the main train station, and stroget. But there is so much else to see in Copenhagen and surrounding areas other than these sites. There's the whole mile of stroget, Nyhavn harbor, Amalienborg Palace (the Queen's residence,) Rosenborg palace, Christainborg Palace, and trips by train to the Viking Museum and Cathedral in Roskilde, Frederiksborg Palace in Hillerod, Kronborg castle in Helsingor, or even Deer Park in Klampenborg. Therefore, considering the Marriott is only a 10-15 min. walk from Tivoli and the main train station, it's up to you to decide if a 10-15 min. walk is an inconvient. Like the question you asked, "If it's a close walk to everything how can something be wrong with the location?" The answer to this is subjective, I wondered the same thing. In my opinion, now that I've stayed there, for me, there's nothing wrong with the location, it's just fine. Essentially, the Marriott is literaly several blocks from the main train station, and accross the street from the station is Tivoli. The Marriott is located on the canal, which I think makes it a great location, especially for you who are indicating you want to stay on the water. It's scenic, and you can watch recreational boaters go up and down the canal. Plus, the waterbus does stop at the Marriott which can be very convenient if this fits your schedule. You could take the waterbus from the Marriott to the Little Mermaid, Nyhavn harbor, or return back to the hotel. In addition, there are plenty of taxi in Copenhagen with American sized vehicles, and at the Marriott, to take you anywhere you wish to go. Copenhagen in my opinion is definately a walking city, so taking a taxi will not really cost all that much since nothing is that far, and they conveniently take credit cards. For ourselves, we did take taxi a lot, but that's becuase we were cramming so much in, and often needed fast transportation. If it weren't for the rush of doing so much, or having my parents, I would have much more enjoyed walking everywhere vs. taxi, as that's the way I used to enjoy the city when I was a kid.

Anyhow, that's my thoughts to your questions. As you can tell, I am quite the blabber. But from the positive reviews of the other hotels, it seems you can't go wrong with where ever you decide to stay. So enjoy your planning, I hope I helped, and I'd be glad to answer any questions. Oh, if I didn't answer a question, or if you need clarification, just ask. Enjoy Wonderful Copenhagen! You're very lucky to visit this wonderful city.

Steve

Thanks! That was very detailed:)

I guess what is making this a little difficult is the hotel we want to stay at can't be reviewed at this time. It hasn't opened yet. It opens this July.

We would like to stay there but we'll be some of the first. I think it may be a little inconvenient to stay there but I think it would be a unique hotel stay. It's part of the arp-hansen group.

I'll keep the Marriott reservations until we make a definite decision.

I'm glad you mentioned renting a car. I was beginning to wonder about that. I never read about anyone in Copenhagen renting.

Is it easy to drive around? Could we take a rental car over to Sweden to spend all day in three of the little towns? Who was the rental car with?

What is across the canal from Copenhagen near Kalvebod Brygge? Looks like the street name across the waterway is Brygge Islands? Just curious if a ferry goes over.

Thanks

Thanks! That was very detailed:)

I guess what is making this a little difficult is the hotel we want to stay at can't be reviewed at this time. It hasn't opened yet. It opens this July.

We would like to stay there but we'll be some of the first. I think it may be a little inconvenient to stay there but I think it would be a unique hotel stay. It's part of the arp-hansen group.

I'll keep the Marriott reservations until we make a definite decision.

I'm glad you mentioned renting a car. I was beginning to wonder about that. I never read about anyone in Copenhagen renting.

Is it easy to drive around? Could we take a rental car over to Sweden to spend all day in three of the little towns? Who was the rental car with?

What is across the canal from Copenhagen near Kalvebod Brygge? Looks like the street name across the waterway is Brygge Islands? Just curious if a ferry goes over.

Thanks

"I guess what is making this a little difficult is the hotel we want to stay at can't be reviewed at this time. It hasn't opened yet. It opens this July."

Sounds interesting. Is it totally new, or a refirbishment? Where is it located, and how did you discover. If it's a totally new hotel, I would find this very interesting.

"Is it easy to drive around? Could we take a rental car over to Sweden to spend all day in three of the little towns? Who was the rental car with?"

Yes, it was very easy to drive around. Fortunately for me, the Danes drive on the same side of the street as us. I also had maps which were very helpful, and a necessity. Again, the places we visited could easily have been visited via train, but there was so much to see and do given our time, so a rental car offered the best way to "do it all." I was very surprised how easy it was. However, returning to the hotel, I did get lost, yet drove directly to the hotel, despite being a little lost. I wish I could say that it was my memory of the city that guided me, but that would be a laugh. When I lived in Copenhagen, I traveled by foot, train, and bus. Being in a car was rare for me as a student. In fact, it was a whole different world seeing Denmark by car. Therefore, I attribute my finding my way back to the hotel because it was just in a simple location.

Yes, you can drive to Sweden. You can drive over the new, and famous, Oresund bridge.

The hotel provided us with reservations with Hertz. The hotel made the reservations for me, and the rate was better than the rate I could find on my own via the internet. We lucked out, and Hertz provided us with larger size vehile than what we reserved. However, I believe the cars are stick shift, not automatic.

"What is across the canal from Copenhagen near Kalvebod Brygge? Looks like the street name across the waterway is Brygge Islands? Just curious if a ferry goes over."

Kalvebod Brygge is the name of the street the Marriott is on. Behind the hotel is the canal. On the opposite side of the canal is as you described, Brygge Islands. Uh, the islands are pretty much occoupied with buildings, a lot of commerical buildings. I think Christania is over there nearby. Christania is it's own little world where the "hippies" live and it's all about drugs. But don't let that give you a bad impression of Copenhagen. Christania is in a very small location, and the city is extremely safe, even in Christania. Throughout Copenhagen, you can walk anywhere at any time of night and be perfectly safe. Also, there's church with an outside spiral stairs which is cool to hike up. As for ferries to the island, I think the waterbus might make a stop, but otherwise, you can simply walk across the nearest bridge which is not too far from the hotel, or take the metro train, or bus. Also, on the island, in eyesight from the Marriott, there is an area where people can swim and dive into the canal. Other than that, it's not a big tourist area. If I were to visit, I might check out the swimming area along the canal, or the outside spiral stair church, other than that, you may not be visiting.

Hi Steve,

I was snooping around on the net one day and ran across this:

http://www.hospitalitynet.org/news/4017199.search?query=copenhagen%20island%20new%20hotels

I emailed a gentleman with Arp-Hansen and he returned my email with some info on the hotel. It opens in July and sounds kind of unique. I like the idea of the man-made island and having a balcony for September. Just not sure about all that walking even though we walk a lot and a two mile walk is nothing to us.

I'm leaning towards the Island and hubby is leaning towards Marriott or Square:confused: Guess we'll end up with lots of reserved rooms.

The car rental sounds great. I like that idea better than trains and ferries. Will have to present that to hubby.

Thanks again for great info!

Hi Steve,

I was snooping around on the net one day and ran across this:

http://www.hospitalitynet.org/news/4017199.search?query=copenhagen%20island%20new%20hotels

That's a good discovery. I've looked it up and it looks like a very nice new hotel. In terms of being on an island, I may be wrong, but I think it's being built just right off the shore, as opposed to being in the middle of the channel which was my first impression. One may not notice it being seperate from the land. It's on the same street and side as the Marriott, just possibly a 5-10 min. walk, and in the direction away from the city. Granted, it may be a little further walk, but the idea of a new hotel is cool, especially if you can get a good rate. It's also close to a new shopping area, and the waterbus stops there too. Looks like another good option to consider, thanks for sharing.

Steve

I booked the Copenhagen Marriott(4 stars, Copenhagen city) last week on Priceline for $100 for late May-- 7 weeks in advance. Don't forget that there is a huge tax in addition to the Priceline bid added on after you bid. The total was slightly less than $400 for 3 nights. A bargain when some sites are charging $230-340 per night for the same hotel. No breakfast included. The Marriott restaurant is very expensive, too.

Maggiekam,

I have been trying Priceline for three weeks. I get a rejection everytime.

I have bid as high as 125 and I won't go any higher because of the extra 25%plus that will be added to that.

Every single time I type in my $amount, that little line pops up and says I should be bidding between 179 - 199 for a ****Copenhagen.

I can't go over 200 total for a priceline bid for Marriott because I went straight to Marriott by phone and booked military/govt rate for 200 for a water view double.

The Island is around 230 for a waterfront w/balcony w/breakfast. Only thing about Island is what if they are not finished by September. It's due to open in July but what if it runs beyond that date.

I sure would hate to end up in Copenhagen without a place to sleep:eek:

I've read that the Marriott breakfast buffet is 30$ US per person.

If I could get Marriott for 100$ I'd be smilin'. You did good!

CamelliaCity

Have you used Google Earth? If not, download it to your PC, it's free, and you will see awasome clear images of Copenhagen, all up close. You can see for yourself where everything is located. It's a wonderful tool.

Steve

Hi CameillaCity,

Sorry to read that Priceline is not working out for you for your dates of stay. If you can't get the hotel at $125, which is already more than necessary for this hotel if it were available for Priceline bidders, I definately would not bid higher. I believe it's simply not available at this time. Between now and your trip, you can keep trying, but don't bid more than $100. You can go to http://www.biddingfortravel.com to see that the going Priceline rate is for this hotel. If you bid those rates, and your bid is not accepted, then unfortunately, the hotel does not have any Priceline rooms available. But keep trying until your cruise. In the mean time, as you know, have reservations as a back up.

You stated that breakfast was $30. I thought that seemed kind of high, but it may be accurate after all. Last summer, breakfast was 145 Danish Kroner at the Marrit, which kind of comes out to $24, so your estimate is not far off. Wow, that does seem expensive for breakfast. But unfortunately, everyting is extremely expensive in Denmark, and a hotel such as the Marriott in Copenhagen would certainly expect to have high prices. Even the Danes will tell you how expensive everything is. Still, for us, we did have the breakfast. As you would expect, for that price, fortunately it is a great breakfast at the Marriott. It was an American style buffett, but there were a lot of other variety of foods to sample the Danish, and European cusine. Breakfast there was convenient, we didn't have to go searching for alternative places and figure out how to get there. Unfortunately, there are no Bob Evans, Cracker Barrel, or Waffle houses to choose among. However, I would strongly recommend asking the concerege for alternatives. Just ask where do the Danes go? Actually, the Danes really don't go out for breakfast as it's expensive for them too, but there are bakeries. If you didn't want the breakfast at the hotel, I'd ask where is the nearest bakery. I can tell you, the Danish bakeries are the best. A coffee and pasteries from the bakery would be so delicious. Maybe ask where you can find someplace that might have some Danish cheese and breads which would also be delicous. You'll just have to visit a Danish bakery to know what I am talking about, but they are the best.

Although the full buffet breakfast was nearly $30, there was also a cheaper option for the continental breakfast. I am not sure how much the continental breakfast was, but it was cheaper. You still sat in the same dining room which was acutally a ballroom type room, but rather than selecting meats and other hot food ietms, when you went to the buffet, you simply selected the cereals, breads, pasteries, and fruit instead. So, there is a cheaper option, and you can still sample Danish foods and products.

All in all, Denmark is expensive. But, there are altenatives.

Steve

Hi everyone, I have reen reading all the comments on the baltics threads & almost done with all 24 pages. We are not going until '07, but have been reading with interest the topics regarding the Marriott. It sounds like a great place to spend 2 nights prior to our cruise but have some questions. When you bid on priceline, how do you know you will be getting the Marriott? I know it's a 4* hotel but could you possibly be getting something farther away from everything? The prices without going on Priceline seem very high & don't want to get stuck at a place that is too far away to walk to everything. We are going on the July 1, 2007 Star Princess & yes, I know its almost 1 1/2yrs. away, but it takes a lot of research & like to plan things well in advance. The other hotels frequently mentioned, like the Square Hotel, Sofitel Plaza & Palace Hotel, are they ever included as possibilities on Priceline? As you can probably tell, we have never bid before on Priceline, but it sounds like something that is really worthwhile to save money. Any comments anyone? Thanks for any suggestions.

Hi everyone, I have reen reading all the comments on the baltics threads & almost done with all 24 pages. We are not going until '07, but have been reading with interest the topics regarding the Marriott. It sounds like a great place to spend 2 nights prior to our cruise but have some questions. When you bid on priceline, how do you know you will be getting the Marriott? I know it's a 4* hotel but could you possibly be getting something farther away from everything? The prices without going on Priceline seem very high & don't want to get stuck at a place that is too far away to walk to everything. We are going on the July 1, 2007 Star Princess & yes, I know its almost 1 1/2yrs. away, but it takes a lot of research & like to plan things well in advance. The other hotels frequently mentioned, like the Square Hotel, Sofitel Plaza & Palace Hotel, are they ever included as possibilities on Priceline? As you can probably tell, we have never bid before on Priceline, but it sounds like something that is really worthwhile to save money. Any comments anyone? Thanks for any suggestions.

Hello Shelby Cruiser:

Nothing wrong with advance planning for 2007, good for you. Planning is 1/2 the fun.

The thing with Priceline is that when you bid, you don't know what you'll get, until after your bid is accepted, if accepted. You can only specify a city, possibly a location in that city, the star rating for hotels, and your bid, which does not include taxes. Therefore, if your winning bid is something you didn't want, well, that's the chance you take, and risk you're willing to accept when you place the bid. Fortunately, there is a totally separate web site which I've referred to before called biddingfortravel.com. This is a valuable message board where successful, or unsuccessful bidders post their results. It helps to give you an idea of what hotel you're likely to get if your bid is accepted, and how much to bid. For example, if the postings indicate the current winning bids for a particular city, or neighborhood within that city is around $100, you pretty much know that if you bid more than that, you'll be wasting your money since you could have placed a lower bid, and if you bid lower, then your bid may not be accepted. If you place a bid for the "going Priceline rate," and your bid's not accepted, you can try a higher bid, but if it too is rejected, then that hotel's occupancy rate is probably high enough that they don't need Priceline's bids, or maybe their allotment of Priceline rates has already been used up for the dates you indicate. But, you should keep trying, but only at the bid amounts of what other have bidded and won. In the mean time, have a regular reservation as a back up just in case you never win a successful bid.

Also, one thing that can be a detriment with Priceline is that once your bid is accepted, you credit card is charged, and you can't cancel. However, at the time you place your bid, you can pay a fee of about $5 per night for insurance, but make sure you understand what conditions are eligible for cancellation. You can't cancel simply because you changed your mind about the bid, or simply decided not to travel to that city on the dates you selected. Otherwise, Priceline can be a great savings. I myself have used Priceline for New York, Ventura , California, San Francisco, Sacramento, San Diego, Chicago, and maybe a few other cities in addition to Copenhagen, and have saved a remarkable amout of money. But, sometimes my bids are not accepted and unfortunately that's the way it goes sometimes.

As for bidding in Copenhagen, you simply select the city you wish to stay, Copenhagen, the dates you wish to travel, the star rating (4*,) and your bid amount. From what I see on biddingfortravel.com, successful bids at this hotel range from $85-$100. Other than maybe $5 more or less, this is the range I would bid in. If you bid is accepted, you'll be informed of the awarded hotel, which according to biddingfortravel seems to nearly always be the Copenhagen Marriott.

"The other hotels frequently mentioned, like the Square Hotel, Sofitel Plaza & Palace Hotel, are they ever included as possibilities on Priceline?" No, I have never seen these hotels awarded on Priceline except once for the Palace. Once a bidder was awarded Copenhagen Le Meridien Palace. I believe this is the Palace Hotel on the City's center Square, Radhuspladsen. Therefore, you can't be sure that if your bid is accepted, that it will be the Marriott, but for now, until other hotels participate more, the odds are that the awarded hotel may likely be the Marriott, just no guarantee.

Have fun planning,

Steve

Thanks Steve for your information on bidding. It sounds straight forward enough just worried that will get another hotel. I know it's early yet & will keep reading all the advice everyone is giving on the Baltic threads. This will be our first cruise to Europe but have been cruising for years & thoroughly enjoy it. Any additional comments will be appreciated.

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks everyone. I've done some looking around and opted for Priceline but no acceptance at $110 for a 3 star.

I like the looks of the Square, recommended by posters here and on tripadvisor. I am also considering the Admiral. Anyone have any experience with this hotel? It looks a bit off the beaten track but they say it's only a 15 minute walk from Tivoli.

Aileen

Archived