Cabin Allocation/Upgrade question

IAASA345

Hello

I’m hoping you guys can help! Booked on my first solo cruise for a few weeks time on Azura and am very much looking forward to it. 

I booked a saver fare for a partically obstructed sea view cabin a few weeks ago. I’d wanted a balcony but none left on the dates I could get off work, let alone any sea view. Anyway, I got an email this morning asking if I wanted to bid for an upgrade. I figured why not (although I got cross at having to pay for two even though its just me, but I’ve got used to that over the years with other land based holidays so anyway….). I only bid the minimum bid for a balcony cabin and if I got it great, if not I’d not be bothered. I wasn’t expecting to be allocated my cabin until close to the time regardless of the bid. 

Anyway this afternoon I got allocated my cabin! I looked it up and it is one of the massive accessible cabins! It’s its a partically obstructed so it is what I’ve booked, but working with disabled people I have to admit I feel a bit bad that I’ve been allocated this huge cabin that I don’t really need, but I’m hoping that no one else needs it hence why I’ve got it. 

My question is however, if this morning before I bid, I’d not been allocated my cabin. I’ve bid for a balcony and now been allocated what I’ve booked (ignoring the grade of cabin for the moment), does that mean I’ve not ‘won’ my bid for a balcony cabin and that’s why I’ve now been allocated this? I mean I’m not complaining. It’s a massive space (found pictures elsewhere), I’d probably prefer a balcony but if I ended up keeping this allocation I’d be very pleased. 

To be honest, just looking forward to the break regardless, just curious as to how it works. 

Thank you 🙂 

If you bid the minimum for a balcony but have been upgraded to a cabin which does not have a balcony. I suggest what has happened is that you have been given an upgrade free of charge.  The two things whilst similar do not relate to one another. I should confirm this once on board not before.

Regards John

• Haha 1

I'm a Solo traveller as well and decided to upgrade in my first cruise to a Balcony but discovered unless you want to get away for some peace and quiet or like reading you actually spend very little time on it. First thing in  the Morning and Last thing at Night was really the only time i used it, too much going on around ship and you can always sit out on Deck and watch (Both) sides of the Scenery go by.

Formal Wear.JPG

• Like 1

I think they're two different processes, and if you're happy with what you've got I'd cancel your balcony bid and save the ££. When are you going? Hope you have a lovely first solo cruise. There should be plenty of opportunities to meet up with other solos.