Klawock, Alaska, population 804.

jonthomas

10 hours ago, AMHuntFerry said:

O-Life shorex 

I saw this listed on some excursions, but don't really know what it means.  Newbie here, can you please explain.

17 hours ago, cluso said:

I saw this listed on some excursions, but don't really know what it means.  Newbie here, can you please explain.

O-Life is the legacy plan before SimplyMore. You can ignore it since it will not apply to you.

5 hours ago, AMHuntFerry said:

O-Life is the legacy plan before SimplyMore. You can ignore it since it will not apply to you.

I guess I meant to say "OS" Oceania Select Excursion.  What does that mean (since some excursions don't have that added). 

1 hour ago, cluso said:

I guess I meant to say "OS" Oceania Select Excursion.  What does that mean (since some excursions don't have that added). 

More in depth and unique so they say to understand the region better. Never taken one as usually just more money.  I have taken a few OE and biggest difference on those is smaller group.  

• Like 1

On 2/20/2024 at 5:50 AM, cluso said:

• Oceania Select – Earning special recognition, these awe-inspiring tours provide a once-in-a-lifetime experience and are ideal for guests that are looking for a more in-depth experience.
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, cluso said:

I think it's mostly marketing hype, but that's just my opinion. I don't find them particularly unique or special, but maybe that's just me being contrary 😉 

• 2 months later...

Hello Everyone! I just added this to another thread, so apologies if you've already seen this! There is not much out there on the new port in Klawock yet! We have visited the area in the past and loved it! If you aren't sure what to do quite yet, I recommend taking the shuttle into Craig, and then walking downtown. The shuttle is complimentary and provided by CTA (Craig Tribal Assoc), it's a short 10 min ride, running at 15 minute intervals. The drop off spot is at the CTA Artisanal Market in Craig, there you will find local vendor booths. I recommend choosing the passenger side of the shuttle for the trip over, it's beautiful ocean views for the majority of the drive. Once you arrive at the CTA drop off location, simply follow this same road down to the "downtown" area, per google it's about a half mile stroll. On your way, you will pass by the harbor/marina - some of the wood fishing vessels are over 100 years old and still in operation! From there, it's a short distance to the heart of town where you will find a few of the best local restaurants (TK's at the Craig Inn is delicious!), JT Browns has the best coffee and their historic building over the water is fascinating. Hop on the boardwalk that starts at Alaskan Echo, next door to JT Browns, (but stop into Alaskan Echo first - this is the BEST shop in all of Alaska!) and then meander down the boardwalk along the beach and explore the historic cannery. Continue past the cannery and this will take you to a beachfront grassy park with picnic benches, a perfect place to take photos, look for whales & eagles (seen from there all the time!) and of course, to enjoy the views!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 5

1 hour ago, footprintsaroundtheglobe said:

I recommend choosing the passenger side of the shuttle for the trip over

What is the passenger side?  

15 hours ago, jonthomas said:

Thank you for the info on klawock. Now we have something to do there.

Yeah...leave town as soon as you get off the ship.

3 hours ago, jonthomas said:

Any suggestions for Rupert, last September we walked to Walmart  ...lol

When you get off the ship, turn left. There is a nice (mostly...have to take a sidewalk to get to the trailhead) waterside trail. On the way back you can reverse or walk through neighborhoods. I think there is also a path if you turn right.

There is also a hidden garden with WWII history that is very close to the pier.

Both of these are on the map they give out at the pier.

• Like 3

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, jonthomas said:

will do that, thank you....

Here's a link to where I found the trail pdf (along with dining, etc.).

We also had coffee at near Cows' Bay with a silly name (Cowpuccino...be sure to go in the bathroom to view a fun celebrity photo). Near the pond at the turn around of the "turn left" trail there was a restaurant that we were thinking of trying, but it was not open at the time we went by.

https://visitprincerupert.com/discover-prince-rupert/visitor-guides/

Edited by AMHuntFerry
forgot the link! 🤪
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, jonthomas said:

Thank you for all this. Yes needed to google what to do in Prince Rupert. 

In Prince Rupert, we walked down the shoreline -- turn right from ship -- to the "The Railroad Museum", a small railroad station house, which was relocated from somewhere else.  Some interesting history there, along with artifacts of the past days.  The station master lived there with his family.  Free will donation. A volunteer was onsite, but museum is self guided, (and not a modern museum.). Lots of written displays to read.

There is a bar/restaurant on way, overlooking the ocean.

To the left of ship, marina with some shops.  Up the road, we found a nice store.  Eclectic, Like a general store with lots of items including souvenirs and housewares, even food.

I also went to the Safeway, for a couple of forgotten non-food items.  While there, I did perused the cheese cases!

Also enjoyed watching the crab boats unloading and workers sorting them for the processing at the facility.

• Like 3