Cruisetour on HAL -- How do I know when Tundra Wilderness Tour is?

I apologize if this has been answered, but I haven't been able to find it.  We are booked on a cruise tour starting in Anchorage with one night there, one night in Talkeetna and one night at Denali.  The cruise tour includes the TWT, but I can't figure out what day it is or if I need to book it somewhere.  Likewise, do I need to be worrying about finding something to eat during these days or is food somehow included like it is on the ship?  I'm sorry to sound so ridiculous, but I'm finding the TA we used for booking the cruise isn't very helpful and this is our first cruise ever, so I'm feeling pretty dumb right now. Thanks for any help.

1 hour ago, JerseyGirl1007 said:

I apologize if this has been answered, but I haven't been able to find it.  We are booked on a cruise tour starting in Anchorage with one night there, one night in Talkeetna and one night at Denali.  The cruise tour includes the TWT, but I can't figure out what day it is or if I need to book it somewhere.  Likewise, do I need to be worrying about finding something to eat during these days or is food somehow included like it is on the ship?  I'm sorry to sound so ridiculous, but I'm finding the TA we used for booking the cruise isn't very helpful and this is our first cruise ever, so I'm feeling pretty dumb right now. Thanks for any help.

We had a post cruise package and we were given a packet of information on our train ride right before we arrived at our hotel which had the time of our tour. Our package included some meal vouchers for use at the resort.  As I understand you need to buy (add) them to your package.   Ours was part of the package our travel agent put together for a large group.  If you look on CC you will find old posts that recommend you pay as you go, not buy vouchers, so you can walk across the street and buy cheaper meals or share the large meals offered at the resort.  I called the resort prior to leaving home and made reservations so I could use my meal vouchers at the most expensive restaurants.   As it turned out, I was not able to use all of my reserved times because of changes to tour times.  Have a great cruise. 

28 minutes ago, Midwest Sunseeker said:

We had a post cruise package and we were given a packet of information on our train ride right before we arrived at our hotel which had the time of our tour. Our package included some meal vouchers for use at the resort.  As I understand you need to buy (add) them to your package.   Ours was part of the package our travel agent put together for a large group.  If you look on CC you will find old posts that recommend you pay as you go, not buy vouchers, so you can walk across the street and buy cheaper meals or share the large meals offered at the resort.  I called the resort prior to leaving home and made reservations so I could use my meal vouchers at the most expensive restaurants.   As it turned out, I was not able to use all of my reserved times because of changes to tour times.  Have a great cruise. 

Thank you so much!  Really appreciate the help.

You will be given the start time for the TWT the day before you arrive in Denali.  Note that the TWT departs from the McKinley Resort Lodge at the top of the hill from the lodging area.  The lodging area has Karsten's House Restaurant centrally located (walking distance or shuttle bus ride) for meals.  There is also the Canyon Restaurant in the Resort Lodge at the top of the hill.

The TWT provides a snack box and you can purchase a box lunch across from the McKinley Resort check-in desk.  Water is provided.  The snack box is filling but I bring a few granola bars for the long day.

Here is a link to the HAL website that will answer lots of questions about your cruisetour:  Alaska Tour Tips

Here is a link that includes maps, menu examples, photos, etc. from my Denali tours:  Denali

Photos from TWT:

image.jpeg.aee3654beef358ae26c2788da8c14954.jpeg

image.jpeg.2fd47ed7ae1d15b72083c4e6b40a17f0.jpeg

Edited by Crew News
  • Like 1

If you look online at your booking you will see excursions that you can book for your free time at Denali.  There will be no excursions offered at the time set aside for the TWT.  

If you are taking the train to Denali you will be invited to the dining car for breakfast or lunch.  You can pay for that meal with your credit card or a voucher (if you have one).  There are several options for dining at the Denali Chalets or across the highway or the nearby Princess Lodge.  The vouchers are only good at the Chalets.  

In the past some tours included the bus to Denali, instead of the train, in that case a stop was made along the way for an included lunch.  

The HAL properties we have stayed at all seem to have a breakfast buffet so that they can feed a lot of people before their activities begin.  The food is generally very good.  At Karstens in Denali you will have a choice of a full breakfast or a less expensive continental breakfast which includes oatmeal, fruit, etc.   

You will receive a more complete itinerary when you begin your land tour in Anchorage.  You will be assigned to a tour group for your journey.   

My booking confirmation document has itineraries for each day including a specific time (2:20pm-7:50pm) set aside for the TWT. Is that accurate or is it a placeholder? Everyone is saying that you learn the time closer to when it actually happens.