ASCENT 2/4 to 2/11/2024 – Awesome – The “Ooops"

19 minutes ago, rinshin said:

A little clarification please.  You are saying that non beverage package person getting inferior service when ordering alcohol?  Also, Celebrity staff wants double tipped, ie already included and additional?  I am sorry that happened to you.  Not right at all.  

Yes and Yes. Nope not right, but effective. We're already booked for December B2B on Ascent and have the beverage packages of the All Included and upgraded via the Captains Club to the premium with the CC discount. It is what it is, just surprised.

14 hours ago, TrixieBel said:

This is terrible practice and a food safety issue. 🤢 

So, very true.  I have not been on Celebrity ship in about 10 years.  My last one was Azamara.  Although I am not much of grilled hamburger devotee, my husband is and really appreciate freshly grilled burgers with the wafting grill smell enticing people nearby. 

13 minutes ago, rinshin said:

So, very true.  I have not been on Celebrity ship in about 10 years.  My last one was Azamara.  Although I am not much of grilled hamburger devotee, my husband is and really appreciate freshly grilled burgers with the wafting grill smell enticing people nearby. 

I have never experienced what @At Sea At Peace did, no matter the class of ship at the mast'pool grill.  I have always requested my burger to be cooked the way I want it. Medium rare. Most of the times they get it right. Never been an issue. Yes, you have to wait but no biggie. Stand back and let others pass by until the burger is done. Fresh and hot. Cheese please.  🍔

• Like 2

1 minute ago, doghog said:

I have never experienced what @At Sea At Peace did, no matter the class of ship at the mast'pool grill.  I have always requested my burger to be cooked the way I want it. Medium rare. Most of the times they get it right. Never been an issue. Yes, you have to wait but no biggie. Stand back and let others pass by until the burger is done. Fresh and hot. Cheese please.  🍔

I will ask for freshly grilled for my husband and me.  Not interested in steaming burgers. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, doghog said:

2 hours ago, rinshin said:

I will ask for freshly grilled for my husband and me.  Not interested in steaming burgers. 

It appears this subject (hamburger quality) at the Mast Grill was a hot topic in May 2023 but there was no mention of the "pre-cooking" that we believe is the cause for the inconsistencies and letdowns.

Hopefully this YouTube link works, look at the first 30+ seconds of the Mast Grill. The only item being cooked are the fries on the left and hot dogs on a roller on the right. Nothing on the grills; must be down in the warmer.

Celebrity Beyond - Mast Grill | Oakland Travel

https://www.youtube.com/watch?app=desktop&v=y3_jpy6AqVI

Best strategy - Ask for a freshly cooked hamburger on the grill.

2nd Best strategy - Wait out the pre-cooked inventory down in the warmer.

Edited by At Sea At Peace

7 minutes ago, At Sea At Peace said:

It appears this subject (hamburger quality) at the Mast Grill was a hot topic in May 2023 but there was no mention of the "pre-cooking" that we believe is the cause for the inconsistencies and letdowns.

Hopefully this YouTube link works, look at the first 30+ seconds of the Mast Grill. The only item being cooked are the fries. Nothing on the grill; must be down in the warmer.

Celebrity Beyond - Mast Grill | Oakland Travel

https://www.youtube.com/watch?app=desktop&v=y3_jpy6AqVI

Best strategy - Ask for a freshly cooked hamburger on the grill.

2nd Best strategy - Wait out the pre-cooked inventory down in the warmer.

Exactly why I (we) always ask and have always been accommodated. IMO, people don't ask then complain about it later on a social media site. It's not like they cook up a bunch of burgers at once and then shut down the grill. 

The video you attached looks like the staff is just setting up and not open yet. 

Edited by doghog

22 minutes ago, doghog said:

Exactly why I (we) always ask and have always been accommodated.

Agreed, now that we know we will also.

IMO, people don't ask then complain about it later on a social media site.  

We didn't notice to know at first. Now we do. We look at this as informational to CC members (as we have gleaned so much from) and not 'complaining' as it is labeled Ooops.

It's not like they cook up a bunch of burgers at once and then shut down the grill. 

Well they do *** cook up trays and trays of burgers at once *** 1-2 hours before opening *** and we do not know if they 'shut down the grill' and we have personally watched hot fries, dogs on a plate with a bun and a burger from the warmer down below over and over and over.

The video you attached looks like the staff is just setting up and not open yet. 

Again, per previous, we've actually observed this several times. 

They do not appear to setting up with adding fresh french fries to the pass.  Fries last even less time. 

There doesn't even appear to be any hamburgers around that are even ready to be put on the grill.

Again, we've watched this actually happen, confirmed it with Hospitality Officers and there is nothing more that we can do to convince anyone.

• Like 1

We simply think it is bad practice to not cook fresh hamburgers "to order" at the Mast Grill as the Standard Operating Procedure (there should be no need to "specifically ask" for such).

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

Just now, At Sea At Peace said:

Agreed, now that we know we will also.

We didn't notice to know at first. Now we do. We look at this as informational to CC members (as we have gleaned so much from) and not 'complaining' as it is labeled Ooops.

Well they do *** cook up trays and trays of burgers at once *** 1-2 hours before opening *** and we do not know if they 'shut down the grill' and we have personally watched hot fries, dogs on a plate with a bun and a burger from the warmer down below over and over and over.

Again, per previous, we've actually observed this several times. 

They do not appear to setting up with adding fresh french fries to the pass.  Fries last even less time. 

There doesn't even appear to be any hamburgers around that are even ready to be put on the grill.

Again, we've watched this actually happen, confirmed it with Hospitality Officers and there is nothing more that we can do to convince anyone.

Again, all I'm saying is your experiences and others differ from ours and what others complain about isn't always the way it is! I didn't call you out about complaining. Just a general observation from reading other threads/posts on CC. IMO, not everyone asks, they just say I want a burger.  Can't speak about the French Fries as we don't get those. We take our burgers in the Ocean view Cafe to eat them and add a dessert from all the yummy selections.  Cheers. 🍻

12 minutes ago, At Sea At Peace said:

We simply think it is bad practice to not cook fresh hamburgers "to order" at the Mast Grill as the Standard Operating Procedure (there should be no need to "specifically ask" for such).

I don't blame Celebrity at all. The staff is trying to accommodate the masses that want a fast food type of burger. If you aren't in a hurry, ask. Did you know you can also go to the MDR on sea days for lunch and get a burger cooked your way?  

Edited by doghog

Thank you for sharing. We are in agreement on the burger situation. It was something we used to look forward to. The precooked was just not good on our bring experience in November. Hoping they go back to fresh. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, At Sea At Peace said:

No, and it really is all lines and all ships. We don't have a solution, we just move on to alternative plans about the ship on such days.

This is my thought on food too, if I see something I don't like (anything at Mast Grill) on move on and find something to my liking.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, lori-annk said:

Thank you for sharing. We are in agreement on the burger situation. It was something we used to look forward to. The precooked was just not good on our bring experience in November. Hoping they go back to fresh. 

Next time ask. That's all on you. IMO, the staff will always cook a bunch of burgers ahead of time to feed the masses who want a fast food type of burger and are cool with that. No different than any other special requests you may have for your cruise. No just food.   

Edited by doghog

1 hour ago, doghog said:

Again, all I'm saying is your experiences and others differ from ours and what others complain about isn't always the way it is! I didn't call you out about complaining. Just a general observation from reading other threads/posts on CC. IMO, not everyone asks, they just say I want a burger.  Can't speak about the French Fries as we don't get those. We take our burgers in the Ocean view Cafe to eat them and add a dessert from all the yummy selections.  Cheers. 🍻

Well, we've now learned from others (that always get them fresh cooked) that it "isn't always the way it is."  We learned to ASK for a fresh cooked burger.  That sounds like a real solution. 👍

• Like 1

1 hour ago, doghog said:

I don't blame Celebrity at all. The staff is trying to accommodate the masses that want a fast food type of burger. If you aren't in a hurry, ask. Did you know you can also go to the MDR on sea days for lunch and get a burger cooked your way?  

We do, so we simply disagree.  The goal we suggest is to serve good food, in all regards.  If they informed passengers with a sign that said "FAST - Cooked at 10AM" or "5 MINUTES - Fresh" it would be abundantly clear what the result would be.

The staff only does what they are trained to do, very formal and rigid.  From the hospitality officers, they are allowed to do this and "the food is still safe within the parameters."  They LOSE US there; just do it right, make it fresh, make it good. 

They can reasonably ADD STAFF to man the the two grills, dogs and fries, separate from the counter servers for the first hour or so of opening.

I did know that we could go to the MDR, but in a bathing suit, wet not something looking forward to.  I guess the Ocean View Cafe on the same deck would be a run in get option.  Neither are required if "it was just staffed right and done right.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Tyler414 said:

This is my thought on food too, if I see something I don't like (anything at Mast Grill) on move on and find something to my liking.

I guess the point is that many 'simply don't know,' order it, get it and (based upon our repeated experiences) have notably increased the amount of hamburger left-overs left on the table and tossed in the trash.

We also did as you suggest, never went again after Day 1 on Silhouette in December 10N or at all on Ascent recent 7N.  Looked, same thing, moved on.  Found the EDEN CAFE.  👍

• Like 1

1 hour ago, lori-annk said:

Thank you.  I guess we've learned TO ASK.  If they don't, move on.  If more LEARN, they'll have to rethink what they are doing.

5 hours ago, At Sea At Peace said:

We do, so we simply disagree.  The goal we suggest is to serve good food, in all regards.  If they informed passengers with a sign that said "FAST - Cooked at 10AM" or "5 MINUTES - Fresh" it would be abundantly clear what the result would be.

The staff only does what they are trained to do, very formal and rigid.  From the hospitality officers, they are allowed to do this and "the food is still safe within the parameters."  They LOSE US there; just do it right, make it fresh, make it good. 

They can reasonably ADD STAFF to man the the two grills, dogs and fries, separate from the counter servers for the first hour or so of opening.

I did know that we could go to the MDR, but in a bathing suit, wet not something looking forward to.  I guess the Ocean View Cafe on the same deck would be a run in get option.  Neither are required if "it was just staffed right and done right.

We don't. Again ask. Nothing ventured, nothing gained. So you've never requested something you've selected from a menu be prepared differently than listed? 

Of course you can't go into the MDR wearing a swim suit, wet or dry. 🙄 All dining venues, days and times are listed in the Celebrity Today. Also what is acceptable to wear during those hours. 

Edited by doghog

11 hours ago, doghog said:

With all this burger talk, I grilled burgers tonight. 🍔🍺

Pretty sure you didn't cook them at 5PM, then put them in the oven to stay warm and then eat them out of the oven at 7:30? Just kidding.  Enjoy. 😉

• Haha 1

On 2/18/2024 at 10:59 AM, At Sea At Peace said:

We purchased about $70 worth of lite beer during the week, generally and mostly as a reward for my 1-1.5 hour walks on the outdoor top walking / running track that is my tradition and $40 bottle of Pinot Noir from Eden. We brought two bottles of my favorite on board.

Hi! I just wanted to clarify with you. Are you saying you spent $110 for the week on alcohol without the beverage package but will be purchasing a beverage package for the next cruise, which is about $1200 for two people, solely based on the service you received?

Or am I reading that wrong?

37 minutes ago, Lisi15 said:

Hi! I just wanted to clarify with you. Are you saying you spent $110 for the week on alcohol without the beverage package but will be purchasing a beverage package for the next cruise, which is about $1200 for two people, solely based on the service you received?

Or am I reading that wrong?

Yep, we spent $110 for the week, plus the two bottles we took on board $60; so $170.

Our bookings for the 12/1 and 12/8/24 Ascent sales under the promos etc. for the Edge Stateroom with Infinite Veranda (decent location as preferred) with the All Included are at $1,599 PP Per Week compared to the $1,233 for the Cruise Only option at the time (a difference of $366) PP Per Week.  The WIFI is about $140 (PP), so it appears the net cost of the Classic Package would be $226 * 2 or *$452? Through the Captains Club will upgrade with 15% discount one to Premium (if that is allowed).

Yes, we are doing it solely based on the service we received.  It was the first time in 80+ weeks at sea we didn't have the or a Premium package (paid for or included with stateroom).  For us, just not worth dealing with it with the paper slips (beyond the room card) that no one else gets and the reaction to the "first" no extra tip.

We didn't like carrying a sparkling and a Pinot into the restaurants and not being able to get another glass during or after the meal.

We would say the quality of the beverages for the Elite HH was less than expected also.

So, you're reading us right, the numbers seem a little better, but just doing the math in my head. 

• Like 3

On 2/19/2024 at 6:57 PM, doghog said:

With all this burger talk, I grilled burgers tonight. 

I think I will go grill a couple of rib eyes. 🐂🥩  😋

18 minutes ago, Texed said:

I think I will go grill a couple of rib eyes. 🐂🥩  😋

Nice.  We have our oldest son in Texas near Austin and 2 GKs.  What an eyeopener going to the grocery store (the size of a small mall back north in the summer) the first time and see the # of butchers and the % of custom cuts (and the size) and the size of the 'meat department.'

Seriously, we could use a golf cart for the entire store.

Down here in FLL for the non-summer, we can't comparatively find meat to a 10th of the scale (quality, cut) and everything is prepackaged (generally, no meat counter or live butchers) even in the large grocery chain stores.

In the summer, we have these though.

image.thumb.jpeg.88c6e186f1d156d59c0b03cf8e1d2769.jpeg

• Like 3

4 hours ago, At Sea At Peace said:

Nice.  We have our oldest son in Texas near Austin and 2 GKs.  What an eyeopener going to the grocery store (the size of a small mall back north in the summer) the first time and see the # of butchers and the % of custom cuts (and the size) and the size of the 'meat department.'

Seriously, we could use a golf cart for the entire store.

Down here in FLL for the non-summer, we can't comparatively find meat to a 10th of the scale (quality, cut) and everything is prepackaged (generally, no meat counter or live butchers) even in the large grocery chain stores.

In the summer, we have these though.

image.thumb.jpeg.88c6e186f1d156d59c0b03cf8e1d2769.jpeg

That lobstah would eat the Celebrity lobstah for lunch ...

• Like 1
  • Haha 3