Post-cruise bag storage

Blaise

Last cruise we had a late flight out of San Juan and chose not to do a post-cruise hotel (opting instead for more nights pre-cruise :classic_biggrin:). You can't check your bags at the airport until 4 hours before your flight, so we were interested in options for killing time before the flight. We tried to book RCI's "excursion" that drops you off in OSJ and then takes you to the airport (and to your bags) later. We were concerned about the timing and uncertainty of that, but it got cancelled on us anyway.

While we were shopping one morning, pre-cruise, in the Costazul and Almacenes Fernández (which are interconnected), we saw someone wheeling their luggage in for storage. We asked them about this and also talked to the manager about it and saw the two rooms they use. He said that we could either use https://bagsaway.com/luggage-storage/san-juan to pre-book, or simply drop in unscheduled with the bags, as they seldom fill up. They open at 9am except on Sunday, which is 11am. Looks like $1.5 per bag per hour with an all-day max.

We didn't end up using this opportunity, as the DW wasn't up for another day in OSJ post-cruise. However, I would not hesitate to do this. The shops are very nice, btw, and I bought a shirt at Costazul.

28 minutes ago, njhorseman said:

You can store your bags at no cost (a gratuity should be offered to the attendant) at Restaurant Barrachina.

I've heard that, but that's much deeper into town (thus taking longer to drive to/from), opens later (11am), and it seems awkward to drag the luggage through its usually crowded space.

1 hour ago, Blaise said:

I've heard that, but that's much deeper into town (thus taking longer to drive to/from), opens later (11am), and it seems awkward to drag the luggage through its usually crowded space.

If your ship is docked at Pan American Pier, which most...probably almost all... ships homeporting in San Juan are you have to take a taxi or Uber into OSJ to get to either. A taxi should be a flat rate regardless of where in OSJ you're headed to. The difference in distance is less than a half mile and maybe 5 minutes of time.

Barrachina says it accepts luggage from 9 am on and at that time there won't be crowds because the restaurant itself isn't open.

• Like 1