12 American Cruise Passengers (on Millenium) Killed on Excursion today

emjayel56

Has anyone seen the article today (I read it on MSNBC) about 12 American cruise passengers were killed on an Excursion in Chile when their 16 seat bus fell into a ravine going around a winding road. They were on an independent cruise tour. What a horrible and sad thing to happen.

This brings me to my question --- do you think that independent cruise tours are as safe as those sponsored by the cruise lines themselves? I know the cruise lines charge more for tours but are you sacrificing safety by saving money and booking tours on your own? I'd be interested in getting your feedback. Have a nice day.

Maryjo

We have been on both independent and cruise line tours and felt perfectly safe on both. It was a little scarey when I saw a pictures of the van that crashed. It was a Mercedes 16 passenger model that looked very very similar to one we used in Lisbon and also a couple of other times for independent tours.

It will be interesting to find out what caused this crash, a tire blowout or someone coming in the other direction and forcing the van off the road or hurrying and speeding to get back to the ship or whatever.

It has to be having a very negative effect on anyone who was on that cruise. In one picture they showed a big bus like the ones used by cruise line tours parked along side the road where the accident occurred. It would have been interesting to know if it was carrying people from the cruise.

I'm sure we will all be watching the news to see what else is said.

It is terrible to hear such sad news. Prayers and condolence to all those that may be affected by this terrible tragedy.

The crash occurred about 4:30 p.m. (3:30 p.m. ET). The tourists were among about 1,600 passengers from the Celebrity Cruises liner Millennium, which was docked in Arica as part of a two-week cruise that was slated to arrive back in Fort Lauderdale, Florida, on April 2.

U.S. Embassy is confirming that all killed were American. There are an additional 2 Chilean and 2 American in serious condition. I heard a news report that Celebrity had release a statement saying Millennium will be remaining in port until investigation is complete.

Archived