few basic Havila questions

mef_57

I am looking at a late September, 12 night return cruise for Northern Lights.

For budget (and this is budget....I'll be in the dinkiest inside cabin) I am trying to determine if there are daily gratuities, like mainstream cruise lines. If so, what's the cost?

And is the self serve laundry free?

I know about the drinks packages, and the excursion costs.

It looks like water and some beverages are free with meals.

Any other costs I need to consider I haven't thought about yet?

Thank you.

Laundry is free, even the soap is automatically dispensed.  There were no gratuities charged, which I assume hasn't changed since last February.  There was a crew appreciation donation box in a corner, but I don't believe it was ever even mentioned, so strictly voluntary (if you notice the box there at all).  There were no surprise or added-on expenses in our case, so if you stick with what's offered for meals and don't use the cafe, you should avoid that if so inclined.  Water, coffee, and tea comes with meals and also juices or milk with breakfast.

With an inside cabin, be sure to turn on your cabin announcements if you're interested in northern lights.  The crew is very good at announcing them any time they're sighted, but you can miss it or sleep through it without the announcements if in your cabin.  A good phone app for northern lights can help too, since you can get advance info as to the likelihood of lights and the cloud cover situation.

• Thanks 1

If you booked a return trip, regular coffee, tea and water are included all day, as is internet service. The meals in the café ( except packaged goods, but for example soups, sandwiches, pizza, hamburgers, buns) are included in the year 2024 for those who booked a return or half-way trip with full board.

It's quite easy to buy some extras like chocolates, sparkling water or soft drinks when going outside at some of the stops.

September is great as you'll have all those lovely fall colors. Enjoy your trip. And one of the good things about Havila is the fact that there a lot of comfortable seats and views through huge windows throughout the ship.

It might also be possible to upgrade to an outside cabin at little cost when on board, depends on how fully the ship is booked.

• Thanks 1

On 2/20/2024 at 5:07 PM, Flyinby said:

Laundry is free, even the soap is automatically dispensed.  There were no gratuities charged, which I assume hasn't changed since last February.  There was a crew appreciation donation box in a corner, but I don't believe it was ever even mentioned, so strictly voluntary (if you notice the box there at all).  There were no surprise or added-on expenses in our case, so if you stick with what's offered for meals and don't use the cafe, you should avoid that if so inclined.  Water, coffee, and tea comes with meals and also juices or milk with breakfast.

With an inside cabin, be sure to turn on your cabin announcements if you're interested in northern lights.  The crew is very good at announcing them any time they're sighted, but you can miss it or sleep through it without the announcements if in your cabin.  A good phone app for northern lights can help too, since you can get advance info as to the likelihood of lights and the cloud cover situation.

Thanks for these details.yes, I will engage the notifications. They are offering a free 7 day trip if you don't see Northern Lights on the 12 day trip...but, it requires the announcement engaged...understandably.

I am scheduling the trip for new moon phase for bast chances, and the app is a good tip. Thanks.

4 hours ago, grayjay said:

If you booked a return trip, regular coffee, tea and water are included all day, as is internet service. The meals in the café ( except packaged goods, but for example soups, sandwiches, pizza, hamburgers, buns) are included in the year 2024 for those who booked a return or half-way trip with full board.

It's quite easy to buy some extras like chocolates, sparkling water or soft drinks when going outside at some of the stops.

September is great as you'll have all those lovely fall colors. Enjoy your trip. And one of the good things about Havila is the fact that there a lot of comfortable seats and views through huge windows throughout the ship.

It might also be possible to upgrade to an outside cabin at little cost when on board, depends on how fully the ship is booked.

Thanks for the extra details, and suggestion for an upgrade. That could be more comfortable. Otherwise deck or windows would be great. I am from Ontario, Canada. I will have adequate clothing.

I also thought to take the train from Oslo to Bergen for more chance of Autumn colours.

5 hours ago, mef_57 said:

I also thought to take the train from Oslo to Bergen for more chance of Autumn colours.

It is a fantastic train ride, and you will not regret taking it!   My Havila trip is coming up in June and I'll be taking the train from Oslo to Bergen as well.  I have been on that train once before about 19 years ago.

~Nancy

• Like 1

7 hours ago, oakridger said:

It is a fantastic train ride, and you will not regret taking it!   My Havila trip is coming up in June and I'll be taking the train from Oslo to Bergen as well.  I have been on that train once before about 19 years ago.

~Nancy

Have a great time. I know you are excited about it.

I watched that route on a Great Train Journeys PBS show. I have Swedish roots, but never been to Scandinavia.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, mef_57 said:

I am from Ontario, Canada. I will have adequate clothing.

Then you're well prepared to stay on the outside decks for watching the northern lights if they appear!

But in September, similar to Canada, you might have quite sunny and warmer days, too.

I'm not sure if the Norwegian autumn colours will top the Canadian ones which we found quite spectacular!

And the train trip will be a great opportunity and it's a lovely ride in all times of the year ( we did spring, winter and autumn and found all the rides spectacular!)

If possible you should stay a day or two  in Bergen and Oslo both - such beautiful cities to explore even if expensive. And if you are considering the train trip to Bergen: it can be combined with the trip "Norway in a nutshell" - Recommendation!

Have a great trip!

2 hours ago, grayjay said:

Then you're well prepared to stay on the outside decks for watching the northern lights if they appear!

But in September, similar to Canada, you might have quite sunny and warmer days, too.

I'm not sure if the Norwegian autumn colours will top the Canadian ones which we found quite spectacular!

And the train trip will be a great opportunity and it's a lovely ride in all times of the year ( we did spring, winter and autumn and found all the rides spectacular!)

If possible you should stay a day or two  in Bergen and Oslo both - such beautiful cities to explore even if expensive. And if you are considering the train trip to Bergen: it can be combined with the trip "Norway in a nutshell" - Recommendation!

Have a great trip!

September/October  are supposed to be good times in Norway foe the lights, and will time it with darkest moon phases,so fingers crossed.

I only started to think about this, so will have to look at what to do in the cities and Norway in a Nutshell.

Thanks.

On 2/22/2024 at 3:24 PM, mef_57 said:

September/October  are supposed to be good times in Norway foe the lights, and will time it with darkest moon phases,so fingers crossed.

I only started to think about this, so will have to look at what to do in the cities and Norway in a Nutshell.

Thanks.

We booked 2 nights in Oslo, but really only had one full day (midday arrival and the train to Bergen departs early, about 8:20).  I wished we'd had at least another day there.  If you stay in the central area, there's plenty to fill up a couple of full days at least.  We did book a 2-hour bus/walking tour in advance, and it was well worth it since it took us to areas we'd have a hard time getting to on our own with limited time.

So you might want to consider more than two nights unless you really don't see much in Oslo that interests you.  We're going back Next February and I'm booking 3 nights to make up for the places we didn't have time for.  Art galleries, museums, the opera house, library, besides life and the general aura around central Oslo make it really worthwhile if those things are interesting to you.

There's a porter service (porterservice.no) that will take your bag(s) from Oslo to Bergen (or back) for a reasonable fee, in case you don't want to deal with your larger luggage for the train or ferry.  Excellent service, they were reliable and reasonable.  The train ride is exceptional... you can get your tickets in advance at vy.no if you know your dates and times.  We did the Oslo-Myrdal-Flam-Myrdal-Bergen route on the train with a night in Flam, rather than the legit "nutshell" tour; it was mid-winter and Flam was pretty quiet.  Very much worthwhile visiting but one night was adequate.

We also booked 2 prior nights in Bergen (in Bryggen) and it was a bit better timewise, as the Havila ship doesn't board until late afternoon, so we basically had 2 full days in Bergen.  Again, the central area is best, and there are some 1-2 hour guided walking tours that are really worthwhile and not expensive.  You learn your way around, and some interesting history etc.  There's a funicular railway from the central area, and it's very interesting to walk around on your own and enjoy.  More days would have been OK, but having nearly 2 full days made it not seem so short as Oslo, with its early train departure.

You might be able to see some fall color in the fjords...I asked the ranger in geirangerfjord about when that would be, but he wasn't very specific...I suppose it varies like everywhere, but he did suggest maybe October.

Have fun on your trip!  I did have some pics from our Feb. 2023 trip at https://pbase.com/roberthouse/norway23, if you want an idea of the scenery you're in for.

47 minutes ago, Flyinby said:

We booked 2 nights in Oslo, but really only had one full day (midday arrival and the train to Bergen departs early, about 8:20).  I wished we'd had at least another day there.  If you stay in the central area, there's plenty to fill up a couple of full days at least.  We did book a 2-hour bus/walking tour in advance, and it was well worth it since it took us to areas we'd have a hard time getting to on our own with limited time.

So you might want to consider more than two nights unless you really don't see much in Oslo that interests you.  We're going back Next February and I'm booking 3 nights to make up for the places we didn't have time for.  Art galleries, museums, the opera house, library, besides life and the general aura around central Oslo make it really worthwhile if those things are interesting to you.

There's a porter service (porterservice.no) that will take your bag(s) from Oslo to Bergen (or back) for a reasonable fee, in case you don't want to deal with your larger luggage for the train or ferry.  Excellent service, they were reliable and reasonable.  The train ride is exceptional... you can get your tickets in advance at vy.no if you know your dates and times.  We did the Oslo-Myrdal-Flam-Myrdal-Bergen route on the train with a night in Flam, rather than the legit "nutshell" tour; it was mid-winter and Flam was pretty quiet.  Very much worthwhile visiting but one night was adequate.

We also booked 2 prior nights in Bergen (in Bryggen) and it was a bit better timewise, as the Havila ship doesn't board until late afternoon, so we basically had 2 full days in Bergen.  Again, the central area is best, and there are some 1-2 hour guided walking tours that are really worthwhile and not expensive.  You learn your way around, and some interesting history etc.  There's a funicular railway from the central area, and it's very interesting to walk around on your own and enjoy.  More days would have been OK, but having nearly 2 full days made it not seem so short as Oslo, with its early train departure.

You might be able to see some fall color in the fjords...I asked the ranger in geirangerfjord about when that would be, but he wasn't very specific...I suppose it varies like everywhere, but he did suggest maybe October.

Have fun on your trip!  I did have some pics from our Feb. 2023 trip at https://pbase.com/roberthouse/norway23, if you want an idea of the scenery you're in for.

Thanks for the further details. I am still not exactly on the dates, but won't sway too much away from the dark nights for better NL chances. Also still deciding on the Flam train inclusion but your plan was becoming my plan.

Thanks for sharing the photos. I am surprised on the lack of snow foe February, but learning I can't compare it to inland Canada.

Thankfully, I do have time flexibility, so we will see what the final plan and dates are.

I tend to pack carry on size only, regardless of trip, but good to know there is an option.

Thanks again.

@Flyinby Gary, the pictures are beautiful!  My trip is getting closer.  I board Castor in June.  I'll post some pictures of the midnight sun voyage here on Cruise Critic to inspire people to try the summer visit as well!  

~Nancy

14 hours ago, oakridger said:

@Flyinby Gary, the pictures are beautiful!  My trip is getting closer.  I board Castor in June.  I'll post some pictures of the midnight sun voyage here on Cruise Critic to inspire people to try the summer visit as well!  

~Nancy

Thanks Nancy, no doubt you're getting pretty excited by now.  Not only the midnight sun, but Norway should be really nice that time of year.  Up by the North Cape or Kirkenes, or I imagine anywhere in the Arctic circle the midnight sun should be amazing.   I'll watch for the pictures...we already have intentions to return there in late spring or early summer for the midnight sun and Norway at its spring best, but no definite time yet. 

You'll have a great time.  Norway's an amazing place, the people are great, the coast route is beautiful and Havila's ships and crew are so nice that it's hard to imagine anything but a great time.  Even in February, getting off at the end of the voyage, I'd have gladly hopped back on for another round trip.

• Like 1