Xcaret from Cozumel

I checked the Cozumel forum but didn't find much.

Has anyone done this one? We are doing it through Carnival. There's a 40-minute Ferry Ride to Playa then a short bus to Xcaret. 

I am wondering if all that travel was worth it. How many hours do you get at Xcaret? This is a place I have wanted to visit for a long time, but doing a land-based-vacay in Playa with my family isn't currently a possibility. Maybe in several years. 

That said, I don't want to drag my family all over kingdom come unless it's in everyone's best interest.

15 minutes ago, TheLargeFamily said:

I checked the Cozumel forum but didn't find much.

Has anyone done this one? We are doing it through Carnival. There's a 40-minute Ferry Ride to Playa then a short bus to Xcaret. 

I am wondering if all that travel was worth it. How many hours do you get at Xcaret? This is a place I have wanted to visit for a long time, but doing a land-based-vacay in Playa with my family isn't currently a possibility. Maybe in several years. 

That said, I don't want to drag my family all over kingdom come unless it's in everyone's best interest.

It isn’t worth it from Cozumel in my opinion because of the ferry ride. There is a nickname for that ferry Vomit Comet. It is well deserved. The seas between the island of Cozumel and the mainland are often rough. Save the visit to Xcaret for a land vacation. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, MEUB1112 said:

We actually enjoyed it.

Been on the vomit comet twice. I didn’t vomit. The problem was the oder from the passengers who vomited which was about 25% of the passengers. 

If you mean Xcaret I suggest Chankanaab which is on Cozumel and also a national park. Xcaret is fine but with the ferry ride there and back a lot of time is wasted. 

• Like 1

I didn’t care for the boat over to the mainland at all. It was quite windy that day and the water was rough. I really did enjoy this excursion but the price and how long you were actually there wasn’t worth it. 

20 minutes ago, Buffalobills said:

I didn’t care for the boat over to the mainland at all. It was quite windy that day and the water was rough. I really did enjoy this excursion but the price and how long you were actually there wasn’t worth it. 

Thanks for that input. How long are u there? 

11 minutes ago, Buffalobills said:

Xcaret really works best if staying at a resort near Playa or Cancun. Same for Tulum, Chichen Itza an Coba. The ferry ride there and back is a killer and the time at any of those attractions isn’t log enough. I originally did Tulum from a cruise. A mistake. Later I stayed in land resorts on the Riviera Maya, did Tulum again and it was much better as we had more time to take it in. Did Xcaret and it is fine but it is popular and crowded. Not only guests from the many resorts in the area but hugely popular with the local population. It is a privately owned eco theme park but I am skeptical about the eco part with the huge crowds. Loved snorkeling in the underground caverns but I saw a couple of visitors get injured getting bumped into the rocks because there were too many people snorkeling in them at the same time. 

I went to xenses, it was very good.

The ferry is a pia, it's a long stuffy ride, never saw anyone puke, it does feel like you're trapped in a capsule tho, mind numblingly boring. but if you aren't planning a land vaca there anytime I would take the trip.

• Like 1

I did it years ago. I don't remember how long, but do recall there wasn't enough time to do/see everything. But that is typical with shore excursions that are worth doing.

The ferry ride isn't always rough, and if so, not always in both directions.

• Like 1

I personally wouldn't recommend it.

I've ridden the ferry probably 50+ times (not on cruises) - and it's usually calm and no big deal (as long as you don't get easily seasick)... but occasionally it's rough, or worse - the port is closed. It is realistically ~45 minutes minimum. A bit longer if seas are rough.

Then you've then got a ~20 minute drive to Xcaret.

...and honestly it's pretty fake theme park-ish. Kind of Maya Disneyland.

i just went on this excursion last week.

7 hours total, 3 hours of which is roundtrip travel (water then bus shuttle), leaving 4 hours at the park.

this isn't a lot of time, and you will be limited in the number of activities.

you can easily spend 2 full days at xcaret, so pick and choose the sights important to you.

i thought it was a great fun day. rivers, aviary, butterfly, aquarium, etc