Private or Cruise Company Excursion Choice

junglecat

We typically book the few excursions we do via a private company but are unsure about Alaska. This will be our first cruise to Alaska and feel a bit overwhelmed.  We're trying to decide if we should book whale watching through a private company or through Carnival. Has anyone booked a whale watching from a cruise company and can let me know the pros and cons.  I just have big boats with loads and loads of people.  We just want to book and be done.  We'd appreciate any input you all have.

Thanks!  

If you decide to book a private excursion do your homework.  Make sure you are booking with the actual company and not with one of the dozens of third party brokers.  If you do book with a third party, read the cancellation policies carefully.  Viator, for example, has some really vile cancellation conditions.  For many of their tours, no cancellations allowed.  If your ship changes the schedule, too bad.  Others must be canceled 24 hours in advance.  If you can’t get into the port for some reason or the ship is delayed, too bad. Most private companies will work with you and give you a refund if the ship doesn’t show. 

I always book direct with a private company. I like smaller boats and longer time on the boat (greater chance of seeing whales with more time on water). Which port are you going to - Juneau or Icy Strait Point?

i've found it depends on the port. In Juneau there are multiple tour providers on the quay that offer tours for whale watching or going to Mendenhall glacier that are less expensive then the ones offered through the ships. In late may there were maybe 20 people on the whale watching tours.  In Ketchikan and Skagway the off ships options are a little more limited. 

On 2/21/2024 at 11:27 AM, junglecat said:

We just want to book and be done.  We'd appreciate any input you all have.

Have you checked with fellow pax on your Roll Call?  It may be that some have already arranged private whale watching (or other) tours and are looking for fellow pax like yourselves to join them.  If you have not already joined any RC for your sailing and would like to, go to the main "Board/Forums", page, then the Roll Call section for your cruiseline, from there choose your ship and check if your sail date is listed. You mentioned  Carnival.  Here are the Carnival Roll Calls;

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/91-carnival-roll-calls/

Now you only need choose your ship and search for your sail date.😀

Note that to access (even to read) any RCs, you must be logged in.

• Like 1

We find Alaska a very easy and reliable place to do our own tours and rarely ever book through the ship anymore unless it is something very specific that for some reason we can't book independently, or the timing pushes the edge of our port time.

If you research here, you will find many good recommendations for local vendors at each port that are well reviewed and specifically cater to the cruise ship passengers so you can rely on them being consistent with your cruise ship schedule. 

It would be for Icy Strait Point for whale watching as we have something already booked in Juneau.  I totally agree on the fact that I've seen some of the ship excursions with loads and loads of people.  While in the Caymans our private tour had 17 and the ships excursion boat had nearly 200!  Crazy.  If anyone has any suggestions for ISP for whale watching send them my way.

Tha ks everyone.  It takes a village.  

13 hours ago, junglecat said:

If anyone has any suggestions for ISP for whale watching send them my way.

Keep a close eye on the water even when onboard or if walking along the shoreline and you might well be lucky.

We and four others took  a private whale watching boat tour with a local vendor who is no longer in business.

ISP is probably even better than Juneau for whale watching and we saw many more than we had expected to.

On the walk along the shoreline when returning to the dock/tender area, we saw two quite close to shore  Once onboard, other pax told us they had seen several from the ship.

14 hours ago, junglecat said:

It would be for Icy Strait Point for whale watching as we have something already booked in Juneau.  I totally agree on the fact that I've seen some of the ship excursions with loads and loads of people.  While in the Caymans our private tour had 17 and the ships excursion boat had nearly 200!  Crazy.  If anyone has any suggestions for ISP for whale watching send them my way.

Tha ks everyone.  It takes a village.  

Love this company - family run, small boats Glacier Wind: https://www.g-wind.com

Coral:  I emailed this company, and they were THE nicest people.  Unfortunately, they are not open yet the first week of May.   We are a week too early during our cruse.  Now I'm wondering if we should book anything due to it being too early.  I'd hate to spend approximately $200 per person and see nothing due to the season being too early.

Has anyone else reading this booked a whale excursion for the very first of May and had success?  I'm tossed as to what to do.

Thanks all!  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, junglecat said:

Coral:  I emailed this company, and they were THE nicest people.  Unfortunately, they are not open yet the first week of May.   We are a week too early during our cruse.  Now I'm wondering if we should book anything due to it being too early.  I'd hate to spend approximately $200 per person and see nothing due to the season being too early.

Has anyone else reading this booked a whale excursion for the very first of May and had success?  I'm tossed as to what to do.

Thanks all!  

There are whales in May.  Some of the females with calves may not be there yet, but you will see whales.  A few whales even overwinter in the Juneau area.  I would suggest you go with a ship’s tour in Juneau.  For a little bit more you can book a small ship excursion.  Allen Marine guarantees you’ll see a whale or you are refunded $100.

3 hours ago, junglecat said:

We already have an excursion in Juneau so it's Icy Point Strait for us. Thanks for responding.  

You can also book thru the ship in Icy Strait Point if the whale watching tours are running that early.