Enjoy a day away from the crowds in St. Maarten

You definitely shouldn’t miss a day in Philipsburg. Save yourself from sitting on a bus in traffic and soak up the sun and fun on the boardwalk.  Some of my favorite places to sit and relax with good food, drinks, service, music, comfy chairs and watersports is at Castaway Beach Bar and Restaurant and Sky Vogue (they’re next to each other) 113 boardwalk. The water is clean and calm too. Maho, Mullet bay can get crowded and while Orient bay is my favorite beach it can be windy and choppy for swimming.  
The cruise ships charge you for excursions and take a cut of the local tour operator dollars. Book direct with the locals if you can and shop in Philipsburg and support the locals on the beach. 

There’s so much culture and attractions you miss by following the crowds to the other beaches, haven’t you spent enough time with them on the cruise?  Explore Philipsburg and enjoy Great Bay Beach!

We enjoyed St Martin by taking a taxi in Phillipsburg to Orient Beach.  Easy to get there and back for $25 each way, per trip, not per person. Took ferry from Port to Phillipsburg for $7 r/t.  All the beach clubs were really nice.  $25-35 for two lounges and umbrella.  Takes about 25 minutes to get there, so don't waste time shopping for jewelry.  No bargains anyway.  

• Like 1

On 2/22/2024 at 5:13 AM, NiikilovesSXM said:

You definitely shouldn’t miss a day in Philipsburg. Save yourself from sitting on a bus in traffic and soak up the sun and fun on the boardwalk.  Some of my favorite places to sit and relax with good food, drinks, service, music, comfy chairs and watersports is at Castaway Beach Bar and Restaurant and Sky Vogue (they’re next to each other) 113 boardwalk. The water is clean and calm too. Maho, Mullet bay can get crowded and while Orient bay is my favorite beach it can be windy and choppy for swimming.  
The cruise ships charge you for excursions and take a cut of the local tour operator dollars. Book direct with the locals if you can and shop in Philipsburg and support the locals on the beach. 

There’s so much culture and attractions you miss by following the crowds to the other beaches, haven’t you spent enough time with them on the cruise?  Explore Philipsburg and enjoy Great Bay Beach!

Tried Great Bay years ago…. Not now for us… Moved on to better venues….

As @DeckDad stated, no real jewellery bargains anymore, so a reason to stay around Phillipsburg evaporates.  
COCO or Castaway?  Mmmmmm - Decisions, decisions…….

5 minutes ago, PORT ROYAL said:

Tried Great Bay years ago…. Not now for us… Moved on to better venues….

As @DeckDad stated, no real jewellery bargains anymore, so a reason to stay around Phillipsburg evaporates.  
COCO or Castaway?  Mmmmmm - Decisions, decisions…….

Isn't Castaway at Great Bay?  We took a taxi to Orient Beach, on the French side.  We asked for Coco beach club but he dropped us off in front of Kontiki.   Looked very good, so we walked in. Nice lounges and clean facilities.  About$10 more for lounges than most places, but a little upscale.  Good drinks and food, too.  At your lounge or at the restaurant and bar.  I think any of the beach clubs on Orient Beach are fine for a day.  When we left, there was a taxi right there.  Or the bar will call for you.  $25 each way from Phillipsburg.. Per car, not per person.  Much less crowded than Great Bay, if that's important for you.

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, DeckDad said:

Isn't Castaway at Great Bay?  We took a taxi to Orient Beach, on the French side.  We asked for Coco beach club but he dropped us off in front of Kontiki.   Looked very good, so we walked in. Nice lounges and clean facilities.  About$10 more for lounges than most places, but a little upscale.  Good drinks and food, too.  At your lounge or at the restaurant and bar.  I think any of the beach clubs on Orient Beach are fine for a day.  When we left, there was a taxi right there.  Or the bar will call for you.  $25 each way from Phillipsburg.. Per car, not per person.  Much less crowded than Great Bay, if that's important for you.

Castaway is in GB, which @NiikilovesSXM is actively promoting.  Having experienced many, Beach venues over the years, one was putting forward a legitimate comparison, based on one’s actual experiences.   If @NiikilovesSXM had a free choice between castaways and COCO for the day, one wonders what that selection would be.

Edited by PORT ROYAL
Typo

6 hours ago, HotinHavasu said:

Looking for a nice resort, chairs, food for the day while in Port. Any All inclusive? TIA

Cruise friends have visited with a Day Pass AI

https://www.hyatt.com/en-US/hotel/stmartin/secrets-st-martin/sesxm

Best to contact Hotel for current rates and availability 

Edited by PORT ROYAL

15 hours ago, PORT ROYAL said:

Castaway is in GB, which @NiikilovesSXM is actively promoting.  Having experienced many, Beach venues over the years, one was putting forward a legitimate comparison, based on one’s actual experiences.   If @NiikilovesSXM had a free choice between castaways and COCO for the day, one wonders what that selection would be.

Seems like one or both of the commenters have an ulterior motive, I am simply pointing out that not only Castaway but Sky Vogue are my favorites in Philipsburgh but more importantly, just look at the LIVE camera of Great Bay and you will see that my points of staying out of traffic and the cruise crowds, simply enjoying the beach, culture food, calm water etc can be found in Phillipsburg and Great Bay Beach are valid and not actively promoting anything but seeing that the boardwalk businesses remain for future visitors to enjoy. Having stayed for more than a day or even a week at time over the years, 39 days was my last visit to be exact, with another 30 coming up for Carnival, I have enjoyed Orient but getting sandblasted or not being able to relax in the ocean can get annoying, driving in traffic after being cooped up on a ship doesn't sound like fun to me.  Have a nice day, move along good sirs, LOL

On 2/23/2024 at 9:45 PM, HotinHavasu said:

Looking for a nice resort, chairs, food for the day while in Port. Any All inclusive? TIA

You can enjoy a day in Philipsburg at one of many places, you can read my review. 

If you want an all inclusive day ask for the Niiki special at Sky Vogue or Castaway. 
beautiful calm water, lots of people watching and action, shopping, food, drinks, live entertainment and you won’t have to sit in traffic or spend money on transportation. Support the boardwalk!

On 2/23/2024 at 6:47 PM, PORT ROYAL said:

Also find it funny you are sending people to coco which is at the far end of Orient where the action is not. 
If you want an amazing day on Orient you can go to Wai beach club for delicious food, my favorite, a cafe gourmand for dessert, see JR and tell him Niiki sent you. Or go to the Perch Bar(cash only) and tell Marine or Jazz 
Also see Reality for a fresh coconut. 
Good people know good people😉