Digital fares for public transport coming in May

Charles4515

25 minutes ago, Charles4515 said:

Also of note from the same article:

Increased ferry service to St. George's this year.

Two new ferries on order. Unfortunately, one will replace my favorite Bermuda ferry, the "Warbaby Fox". Why do I have a favorite ferry? Because "Warbaby" Fox was a very interesting person:

https://emancipationbermuda.com/library-people/charles-h-g-warbaby-fox/

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, njhorseman said:

Also of note from the same article:

Increased ferry service to St. George's this year.

Two new ferries on order. Unfortunately, one will replace my favorite Bermuda ferry, the "Warbaby Fox". Why do I have a favorite ferry? Because "Warbaby" Fox was a very interesting person:

https://emancipationbermuda.com/library-people/charles-h-g-warbaby-fox/

That is interesting. I didn’t know that history. Possibly they will pass on his name to one of the new ferries.

I notice the new ferries will be larger than the ferries they are replacing. 500 versus 300 capacity. 

Edited by Charles4515

1 hour ago, billslowsky said:

As long as you don't have to have active internet/phone service to ride (I would stick to the old method).

That will depend on what tech they implement. Some digital fare systems use tap (NFC) which does not require internet. It would be smart of them to use that because tap credit cards would work. Worked well on the DC metro and London Tube. Where I live now I have to buy a pass on the transit systems app, activate it, and show to bus driver. So when I have had internet issues I was out of luck theoretically. However I discovered that the drivers here only pretend to look because they can’t really see it on the phone or be bothered so if I flash the phone that’s good enough. 🤷‍♂️

The way In read it they will have some type of hybrid system where you can use a smart phone or where you can get a paper ticket or pass that would be scanned. 

Edited by Charles4515

51 minutes ago, philpcruiser said:

Increased ferry service to St. George?  Does that mean more trips per day or more days with the same number of trips? 

Those two possibilities are not mutually exclusive.

The article says they will provide ferry service five days per week, Monday through Friday. That was not the case last year.

There's no mention of how many trips per day. Just like every year we'll have to wait until the schedule is published to see the details.

31 minutes ago, njhorseman said:

Those two possibilities are not mutually exclusive.

The article says they will provide ferry service five days per week, Monday through Friday. That was not the case last year.

There's no mention of how many trips per day. Just like every year we'll have to wait until the schedule is published to see the details.

I'd wish they would run one more ferry per day.  In the past, you'd spend too little or too much time in St. George. Another scheduled ferry would give more options.