Oslo to Bergen train - 08:00 versus 12:00 train departure?

I'll be traveling in early June on a Monday from Oslo to Bergen on the Vy train.  The first two departure times are approximately 08:00 and 12:00.  I don't need to rush to Bergen as I will be spending quite a bit of time there so I was thinking I will go on the noon departure to have a little more time in Oslo and not have to rush in the morning.  I have taken this train before and traveled on the earlier route and am really looking forward to seeing it again!

Do any of you have any thoughts about whether the noon departure may be more or less desirable than the 8am?

Thanks!

~Nancy

Edited by oakridger

If you're traveling in June, then I don't think there's a significant difference. In the winter, I'd definitely recommend the 8 am, since you'd have daylight for most of the trip, but in June that's not an issue.

If you're traveling direct, I'd probably prefer the noon not just to avoid the early start, but also because the Norway in a Nutshell route would typically need to use the earlier departure to have time to make the side trip to Flåm and Gudvangen. So the noon departure is usually a bit less crowded with tickets available closer to travel.

• Thanks 1

@kaisatsu thank you for your thoughts!  You have confirmed the positives for me to go on the noon departure, but I hadn't thought about the Norway in a Nutshell groups who would be leaving on the early train!  Less crowded is what I like also.

I appreciate you and the other Norway and Denmark locals who take the time to give us very excited visitors answers to our many, many questions!  Tussen takk!

~Nancy