My time dining for 6 / Mariner

We sail March 16 on Mariner - 4 adults, 2 children ages 8 and 12. When we booked we picked My Time Dining but now I think that might not be a good idea. I tried to make reservations but what is available now is like 8:00 and later😝not good with kids. We would like to eat in the main dining room but now I am worried about wait times. If we show up around 6 - will there be a long wait? Two of us are Diamond members - will that help. Suggestions / experiences please. Thanks!

The C&A memberships are not going to shorten your wait for a MTD table.

Some people here still like MTD, but many of CruiseCritic posters choose early or late traditional rather than MTD.  Royal delayed the MTD start time a few years ago and many of us do not care for the newMTD schedule.  Have you considered early dining (if available) with the kids? That’s what I’d select, but it is personal preference.

As I recall, MTD is on deck 3 on Mariner.  Here’s how it now works:  The deck 3 dining room opens with every seat assigned to a guest with early traditional dining.  Of course, some won’t go to the MDR any given night (they use WJ or specialty dining etc).  So a few tables are available about 20-30 minutes after early dining begins (when early diners have missed their opportunity).  Smaller parties probably have better odds if slipping into those slots than do larger parties, but you don’t know unless you try.  Otherwise MTD really begins as they early traditional diners finish their meals and begin to leave the dining room.  Dining speeds vary greatly, but larger parties seem less likely to be the first to vacate early dining compared to some quick solos and couples.  

If you stay with MTD, you can try to get reservations as soon as you board.  There may be reservation options on day 1 that were never posted on line.  If you do not get suitable reservations, I’d suggest either showing up 20-30 minutes after early dining starts to see if a table is available or just lining up in the No Reservation line when you like (MTD probably officially opens at 6:30 or so).  Reports of wait times vary by cruise.

Edited by Starry Eyes

21 hours ago, Biker19 said:

Yes, MTD doesn't start till at least 6:30. Switch to early traditional if you can.

Many ships will not seat you at MTD before 7pm if you do not have a reservation - as many people have reservations for 6.30 pm but their table might not be ready as first seating is running late lots of times....