Iceland, Svalbard, North Norway worth a balcony cabin

tashaaa

Hi,

what do you think, is it worth to have a balcony cabin on Iceland, Svalbard, north Norway cruise?

I could get an upgrade for about 170 EUR. I would like a little bit more space, but don't know if we will use it because of the low temperatures (we are travling end May/begginning june), it would be a guarantee cabin, so I don't know where will they put us, and there is midnight sun...

I'm open for all suggestions and experiances that you have 🙂

Is a balcony cabin worth it? Did you use it a lot on your cruise? 

6 hours ago, tashaaa said:

Hi,

what do you think, is it worth to have a balcony cabin on Iceland, Svalbard, north Norway cruise?

I could get an upgrade for about 170 EUR. I would like a little bit more space, but don't know if we will use it because of the low temperatures (we are travling end May/begginning june), it would be a guarantee cabin, so I don't know where will they put us, and there is midnight sun...

I'm open for all suggestions and experiances that you have 🙂

Is a balcony cabin worth it? Did you use it a lot on your cruise? 

Sounds like a reasonable fee for an upgrade like that.  Just wear a heavy coat!

13 hours ago, Nitemare said:

it would be a guarantee cabin, so I don't know where will they put us, and there is midnight sun...

A few random thoughts.

To help you decide, look at the deck plans for whichever ship you will be sailing, in particular the locations of balcony cabins. Remember that those in the best locations are likely to have been chosen by pax who had a choice rather than a guarantee, but that may not be so.  Look at the ones which to you would be in the least preferred locations and decide if one of these would be acceptable to you or not.

As for midnight sun, on the itineraries we sailed in those regions we deliberately chose inside cabins to ensure a good sleep as we prefer darkness.  For any accommodation which is not an inside, a few clothes pins are good to pack as any  gaps in curtains can be pinned together to decrease light coming in.

It also depends if you are "indoor" or "outdoor" viewing folks.  If you think you will spend more time outdoor viewing, or viewing from an observation lounge or similar, you may find that a balcony cabin offers views limited to one side only, and that you would rather opt for forward viewing where there is also the bonus of some side viewing too, or from an indoor or outdoor spot on one side of the ship, but close to any"walk through" area  where you could easily move from one side to the other. Not so easy from a balcony where you would be restricted to only your own view..

On 2/24/2024 at 6:05 PM, tashaaa said:

it would be a guarantee cabin, so I don't know where will they put us, and there is midnight sun...

I mistakenly "quoted" Nitemare instead of tashaaa, so apologies to both of you.

8 minutes ago, edinburgher said:

I mistakenly "quoted" Nitemare instead of tashaaa, so apologies to both of you.

Just finishing up planning our big 2024 trip (Africa), hoping to do this in 2025 or 2026 (or similar) so glad to be tagged here for easy retrieval later

So, I made an upgrade 🙂 We even got a better price, so I could not refuse it.

I guess it will be one experiance more. Will pack winter clothes, and hope the location won't be that bad.

Thank you all 🙂