Review of the Vista Solo Cabin

LauraS
This post was recognized by LauraS!

Low Country Sandlapper was awarded the badge 'Great Review'

I recently sailed on the Vista.  While my husband and I were in a Concierge Cabin, my father was in the solo cabin (also concierge class) next door.  The Vista is lovely, and both cabins were attractive.  

If you are considering a solo cabin, I want to give you a couple of heads up.  First, unlike in our cabin (and in all balcony cabins I have ever stayed in), the door to the balcony does not encompass the entire back wall of the cabin.  It is a small door that takes up only about half of the wall.  That means that much less light comes into the cabin.  I found my father’s cabin to be somewhat dark.  The balcony itself, however, is a nice size and has ample space for one person.  The second watch out is the bathroom.  It is SMALL.  In contrast, our cabin had a nice-sized bathroom.  The shower in my father’s cabin was tiny.  Once when he dropped the soap, he had to turn off the water and exit the shower in order for him to pick it up.  

On our sailing, the solo cabin cost my father about $1,000.00 less than the total cost of our cabin.  If I were sailing alone, I think I would probably pay the extra $1,000.00 and  get the double cabin.  Not because of the bathroom (I could live with that), but because of the limited natural light in the solo cabin.  I found that off-putting.  I don’t know if Oceania ever runs sales with a discounted single supplement, but if it does, I would definitely pay the supplement and get the double cabin.  

Hope this helps someone.  

• Like 5
  • Thanks 5

8 minutes ago, Low Country Sandlapper said:

I recently sailed on the Vista.  While my husband and I were in a Concierge Cabin, my father was in the solo cabin (also concierge class) next door.  The Vista is lovely, and both cabins were attractive.  

If you are considering a solo cabin, I want to give you a couple of heads up.  First, unlike in our cabin (and in all balcony cabins I have ever stayed in), the door to the balcony does not encompass the entire back wall of the cabin.  It is a small door that takes up only about half of the wall.  That means that much less light comes into the cabin.  I found my father’s cabin to be somewhat dark.  The balcony itself, however, is a nice size and has ample space for one person.  The second watch out is the bathroom.  It is SMALL.  In contrast, our cabin had a nice-sized bathroom.  The shower in my father’s cabin was tiny.  Once when he dropped the soap, he had to turn off the water and exit the shower in order for him to pick it up.  

On our sailing, the solo cabin cost my father about $1,000.00 less than the total cost of our cabin.  If I were sailing alone, I think I would probably pay the extra $1,000.00 and  get the double cabin.  Not because of the bathroom (I could live with that), but because of the limited natural light in the solo cabin.  I found that off-putting.  I don’t know if Oceania ever runs sales with a discounted single supplement, but if it does, I would definitely pay the supplement and get the double cabin.  

Hope this helps someone.  

Very good information and definitely something to be considered.  They do have Single Supplement sales. Currently have one with 76 cruises. 

@Low Country Sandlapper

i agree with you 100%. When we were on Vista a few months ago a couple traveling with us, Covid issue, and she was moved to a Solo room. I did a QUICK WALK THRU, and I would never want to be in that solo stateroom. Besides size, I am a right side sleeper and I would have been up against the wall 🤬

I would always opt for the double room, maybe a different location or category, and try to drag a relative or friend along, even if I had to share some 💰 to make it work. The Double room is the best way to go IMHO. 

Enjoy, Mauibabes

• Like 2

Low Country Sandlapper, thanks for confirming my suspicions regarding Vista solo cabins! I had booked one for 8/3 Istanbul-Athens, but was able to take advantage of New Year sale & get an A2 for $1200 less! The twin bed & really,really small bathroom were issues for me. Didn’t know about veranda door size, but I prefer lots of sunlight so that would have been an added annoyance. Thanks!!

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I cruised solo on Vista last summer. After first booking a solo cabin, I took a second look at it and decided that wouldn't work for me as it was very tight and the bed looked to sit along the side of a wall. So, I booked the French balcony for a small percentage more and was very happy with it. I usually just walk out onto my balcony, look over the side and come back in. I don't sit on the balcony anyway. In the French verandah cabin, I could open the double sliding door any time I wanted, but I could also see out to the ground without even going outside of my room. And the bathroom was delightful!! I wish more ships offered French balconies.

• Like 8

@palakika

Francine,

You still receive the same great Oceania cruise experience as any other guest. You get the Amenities for a Concierge Veranda at a reduced rate but the room is designed for a single occupant.  When I visited a friend in the room, I made the personal decision that it was not for me and that was why I suggested booking a lesser level Veranda for the additional space, IF stateroom space is an issue for anyone.
Enjoy your cruise, wherever it takes you.

Mauibabes 

I had a friend oh Vista who was in a solo cabin and she felt the bathroom was too small. And the bed was like a "bunk bed" with walls surrounding 3 sides of it. The TV is also around the corner from the bed so if you like to lay in bed and watch TV that would be a problem. I think she thought it was "OK" but would not book it again. FYI

@Low Country SandlapperThank you for this feedback. I was very excited when they announced these solo cabins, until I saw the finished product. Yes, the small door, limited natural light and tiny bathroom, were not appealing. I didn’t mind the twin bed. Usually cruise with sister and I always have the split bed pushed against the wall, my little haven, I also didn’t like that there seemed to be no room for even one or two visitors to sit. Appreciate @avwsuggestion of French balcony. I don’t usually sit out either, but enjoy some fresh air.

• Like 1