Long haul flights - arrange your own or through Cunard?

Kensington-cruiser

12 minutes ago, Windsurfboy said:

Everyone is different,  we avoid stopovers like the plague you are either dashing with a short connection time or adding 3 or 4 hours to journey... Even if it means flying  BA, who in my opinion aren't that bad (but would never fly out of Gatwick on old planes) . 

Again, I agree but the slight  implication one can save thousands booking direct depends on fares and routes booked and the difference for us, booking the same airline and route, with Cunard v with the airline, was most acceptable.

Just a little more data. I priced airfare from US to London through Cunard and direct with United (same flights), and Cunard was more. Today I booked directly with United for $700 less (first class) than the price Cunard quoted. That will pay for my spa pass and quite a few drinks on board. 

Interestingly, when I priced out two one-way flights instead of round-trip (with United), the flight to London was something like $2500 in first. But the return from London was over $9000!!!! I didn't think airlines still gouged on one-way flights.