Car Rental in Alaska

kgarroutte

I see a lot of people renting cars for days they have a long stay in port. We are in in Skagway from 7am-8pm. My question is what is the process and how difficult is it to rent a car at this port or any other?

Thank you!

It's easy.  Just go on their site and reserve a car as you would anywhere.  In Skagway, some car rental businesses will deliver the car to the pier.  Be careful with those, however, because they tend to be junk.  

If you're planning on getting the most use of the car, crossing the border, and heading out as far as you can, it is worth it to pay a couple extra bucks and rent a good car.  I've rented a lot of cars in Skagway, and I recommend Avis and Klondike.  Avoid Drive About and Affordable. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Aquahound said:

It's easy.  Just go on their site and reserve a car as you would anywhere.  In Skagway, some car rental businesses will deliver the car to the pier.  Be careful with those, however, because they tend to be junk.  

If you're planning on getting the most use of the car, crossing the border, and heading out as far as you can, it is worth it to pay a couple extra bucks and rent a good car.  I've rented a lot of cars in Skagway, and I recommend Avis and Klondike.  Avoid Drive About and Affordable. 

Is this your opinion or do you have personal experience?  I’ve never had a problem with any of the local rental cars, and Avis is twice the price (over $400).  

We have rented cars in Skagway, Juneau, Haines and Ketchikan on our cruises and honestly some of our best days in Alaska have been when we rented a vehicle and ventured out on our own. In Skagway we have rented from both Avis and Affordable. Avis is probably our preferences as the cars are nicer and newer but of course you pay extra for that, but we had no problem with Affordable - the car was a little more tired and beat up, but we were driving to Dyea that trip and it was nice not worrying about gravel hitting the windshield since it probably wouldn't have mattered. They were super nice and didn't have rules about not driving there. No matter what, you will enjoy your day - plenty of amazing things to see under your own power and control.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, wolfie11 said:

Is this your opinion or do you have personal experience?  I’ve never had a problem with any of the local rental cars, and Avis is twice the price (over $400).  

Both.  As I said, I've rented a lot of cars in Skagway.  Both for work and on cruises.  My rental recommendations are based on my experience.  My last rental was from Drive About and it had a coolant leak and stunk inside.  Affordable has been ok, but only for in town.  If heading out to Carcross or further, I recommend the better cars.  

• Like 1