New Smart Elevators on Carnival Horizon

JDCMN

We have used them a few times on Horizon and other ships and love them. They're easy enough to use, and they have a little TV above explaining how to use them. I do get a chuckle when someone just "hops on" and then realizes (too late) the elevator doesn't have buttons inside and won't be stopping on their desired floor! 

• Haha 4

11 minutes ago, staceyglow said:

I doubt that you actually waited 5-10 minutes for an elevator to appear. In 25+ Carnival cruises, including several on Vista class ships, I have never waited that long for an elevator, not even during embarkation or debarkation. Now on embark and debark, it might have been already full when the doors opened, but it did show up in less than 5 minutes. 

I honestly believe that it is at least partly a perception that the wait is longer on the Vista ships because there is nothing indicating what floor the elevators are currently on.  When you can tell an elevator is on its way, you don't focus as much on the fact that it isn't there yet. 

And even if it does take a little longer to get there, your actual time on the elevator is likely to be shorter, because you aren't stopping on as many floors. 

I am happy you had a good experience on those types of elevators. Maybe Carnival is better but in the last ship I was on, yes sometimes I waited 10-15 minutes and they would show up packed because no followed the rules.

• Like 2

The smart elevators on the Panorama worked well when the people using them used them correctly. We understood this from day 1 to select the number in our party. Lots of people never figured it out in 7 days ("Good cruise but why would anyone build an elevator with no buttons?!" - last night of the cruise going up to lido from deck 2). I blame this partially on Carnival but also on people just being dumb honestly. Maybe it's just me but if something is different about an experience I've done so many times (riding an elevator) and this particular instance was different (no buttons in the elevator) I would instinctually tell myself that I maybe need to figure out how this works vs others. Some people just go numb and don't think. I give a pass for 2-3 days and blame Carnival for the lack of signage on how the elevators work (they need WAY more signage above by elevators - we only found signs in the heaviest traffic areas explaining the elevators) but after that I put the blame on personal responsibility. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, JMKreno said:

The smart elevators on the Panorama worked well when the people using them used them correctly. We understood this from day 1 to select the number in our party. Lots of people never figured it out in 7 days ("Good cruise but why would anyone build an elevator with no buttons?!" - last night of the cruise going up to lido from deck 2). I blame this partially on Carnival but also on people just being dumb honestly. Maybe it's just me but if something is different about an experience I've done so many times (riding an elevator) and this particular instance was different (no buttons in the elevator) I would instinctually tell myself that I maybe need to figure out how this works vs others. Some people just go numb and don't think. I give a pass for 2-3 days and blame Carnival for the lack of signage on how the elevators work (they need WAY more signage above by elevators - we only found signs in the heaviest traffic areas explaining the elevators) but after that I put the blame on personal responsibility. 

People don't read anything. Doesn't matter how much signage they put up.

• Like 4

I am just off Horizon April 7th, and the elevators seemed to work well. I have smart elevators in my office, so I was a little ahead of other first timers, but it's not that difficult.  I helped others as much as I could when I heard stories of them struggling because I watched so many YouTube videos (like how you should hit the button with the wheelchair on it if you are in a wheelchair or have a walker so the elevator doesn't "allow" as many people to have enough room for the medical assistive devices).  We did have to wait a little bit some time, but they definitely worked better than the regular elevators on the smaller ships.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1