Regal Princess out of Galveston and Premier package drinks on embarkation

daveo6313

Just curious if you get the Premier package on the Regal Princess out of Galveston if you are able to get drinks on embarkation day.  If I recall correctly on Carnival out of Galveston their drink packages are not available until the day after embarkation.

Just curious if any has any experience with the Regal out of Galveston.

Princess drink packages are available as soon as you board.

However, the choice of drinks is limited until you leave Texas. Because of Texas law, all drinks sold in Texas have to be purchased from Texas distributors. Princess has a limited selection available in a limited number of bars until they leave Texas jurisdiction. Several of the more expensive drinks you would normally get with Premier will probably not be available until you leave Texas.

The only drink you can get with the packages is coffee. Anything from a bar including water and soft drinks you pay for. Until the ship gets to international water. 

At least that is how it was a few months ago. 

The Texas menu is limited until international water.

Elite minibars are stocked, however.

Last year on the Ruby out of GLS, Princess drink package kicked in as soon as we hit international waters, if you sail at 3, your package will start about 1 1/2 - 2 hours later.

Prior to that due to TABC laws you are required to purchase Texas alcoholic beverages (those paying Texas tax). You are also charged for those. Most people use their OBC for those purchases, however we bring a couple of bottles of wine which suits us fine.

Just got off the Regal recently. We got $25.00 on board credit because we had to pay for our drinks until out of Texas.  I just had water at Alfredo's. We sailed away at 3:30. And the package was good at 5:30. Not a problem at all. We actually had a complementary bottle of wine waiting in our room that we did not drink. 

39 minutes ago, Maribel_Fergus said:

Are you still allowed to bring a bottle of wine in your luggage?

One 750ml bottle of wine per adult passenger. BTW, have you seen the way your luggage is thrown about by long shoreman and crew? That your wine aboard in a carry-on or your clothes might smell like your favorite wine.

• Like 1

I just sailed Regal last week.  On the first day, as the posters above stated, the package wasn't available until we reached international waters.  In our case, it was about 4:30.  We also received onboard credit, but it was called "Galveston port refund" or something like that.  It was just under $25 each.

• Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, kstrittm said:

I just sailed Regal last week.  On the first day, as the posters above stated, the package wasn't available until we reached international waters.  In our case, it was about 4:30.  We also received onboard credit, but it was called "Galveston port refund" or something like that.  It was just under $25 each.

This sounds like a clever and customer friendly way to get around the Texas laws. 

Thanks for all of the feedback everybody.

• Like 1

I was on the Regal last week as well. I only had one drink in Alfredo's while this drink restriction was in place, and I was kind of surprised the the rest of the $25 is good to use on anything else. I thought maybe they would take back what wasn't used but that must be too much of a book keeping hassle.

I just posted a review on the Review part of CC site if anyone is interested.

https://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=712516

Edited by Elizabeth K.