Haines and Skagway

Cerbiattina

Just now, wolfie11 said:

As far as I know, you don’t need a ticket for the museum at the train station.  You do need to book a tour of Soapy Smith’s saloon or for the Ranger historical walk. The film they show at the Visitors center is quite good.

That's what I meant. I can't book the ticket for the Soapy Smith's saloon and Ranger historical walk because they are first-come first-served. We will be at the Visitor Center as soon as they open to get the tickets. I did buy the ticket for the scenic train to Bennett Lake and Carcross. Our cruise is back-to-back, and there are two stops in Skagway. The first is going to be a self-guided tour of the town with the Ranger tour, the Museum, Soapy Smith's saloon, and a walk to Yakutania Point, and the second will be the 8-hour-long scenic train.

13 minutes ago, Cerbiattina said:

That's what I meant. I can't book the ticket for the Soapy Smith's saloon and Ranger historical walk because they are first-come first-served. We will be at the Visitor Center as soon as they open to get the tickets. I did buy the ticket for the scenic train to Bennett Lake and Carcross. Our cruise is back-to-back, and there are two stops in Skagway. The first is going to be a self-guided tour of the town with the Ranger tour, the Museum, Soapy Smith's saloon, and a walk to Yakutania Point, and the second will be the 8-hour-long scenic train.

The Moore House museum is fun as well.  It’s a walk thru with a ranger on hand for information.  Try a doughboy at Klondike doughboy.  Also good beer at the Skagway Brewing Company, but it’s packed in the afternoons.  If it’s open this year the ivory museum at Corrington’s store is amazing. The city museum is also very good.

Edited by wolfie11

1 minute ago, wolfie11 said:

The Moore House museum is fun as well.  It’s a walk thru with a ranger on hand for information.  Try a doughboy at Klondike doughboy.  Also good beer at the Skagway Brewing Company, but it’s packed in the afternoons.  If it’s open this year the ivory museum at Corrington’s store is amazing. The city museum is also very good.

Thank you so much! I am writing all your suggestions down to have a day packed with activities. The ship docks at 7:30 am ad leaves at 8:30 pm. 

Regarding Skagway, the NPS has several buildings opened to the public (not just the Soapy Smith Museum).  My beer drinking husband thinks that the beer at the Klondike Brewing Company is superior to that of the Skagway Brewing Company but the KBC didn't offer food when we were there last.  The Skagway Brewing Company has a restaurant.

For anyone who quilts -- there is a great quilting shop in Skagway -- the Rushin Tailor.

• 1 month later...