Haines and Skagway

Cerbiattina

Hi!

As some of you know by now, at the end of May my husband and I are going on a B2B Alaska Cruise from Vancouver. The ship will stop in Skagway twice, 7:00 am to 8:30 pm both times. I booked the train to Carcross for one stop and the Fast Ferry to Haines for the second stop. The ferry leaves at 8 am and returns to Skagway at 1:45. My wish is to visit Haines in the morning, and Skagway in the afternoon. I can still cancel the ferry if so I wish. QUESTION: Do you think it is doable? I mean, will we have time to visit both towns? If so, do you know if there is a shuttle from Haines Port to Chilkoot Lake? I was hoping to see it without a tour because I would like to visit the town as well before returning to the ferry (departure is at 1:00 pm) and we don't wish to drive ourselves. Is it even a good idea? If so, would this plan leave enough time to visit Skagway as well? I was thinking of visiting the town, the little museum, walk to the old cemetery. Any suggestion? On the second stop, we will embark the train to Carcross at 7:45 am. We will come back by bus at 3:30 pm. I thought that we would have some extra time to visit the town again (or something left out on the first stop) before embarkation. Thank you so much for your help!

24 minutes ago, Cerbiattina said:

Hi!

As some of you know by now, at the end of May my husband and I are going on a B2B Alaska Cruise from Vancouver. The ship will stop in Skagway twice, 7:00 am to 8:30 pm both times. I booked the train to Carcross for one stop and the Fast Ferry to Haines for the second stop. The ferry leaves at 8 am and returns to Skagway at 1:45. My wish is to visit Haines in the morning, and Skagway in the afternoon. I can still cancel the ferry if so I wish. QUESTION: Do you think it is doable? I mean, will we have time to visit both towns? If so, do you know if there is a shuttle from Haines Port to Chilkoot Lake? I was hoping to see it without a tour because I would like to visit the town as well before returning to the ferry (departure is at 1:00 pm) and we don't wish to drive ourselves. Is it even a good idea? If so, would this plan leave enough time to visit Skagway as well? I was thinking of visiting the town, the little museum, walk to the old cemetery. Any suggestion? On the second stop, we will embark the train to Carcross at 7:45 am. We will come back by bus at 3:30 pm. I thought that we would have some extra time to visit the town again (or something left out on the first stop) before embarkation. Thank you so much for your help!

There in my opinion is no reason to visit Haines.  Skagway as you know has lots to see.  Two or three days worth.

The best way - I worked in Skagway- is to rent a car with Sourdough Car Rentals.  Easy drive to Carcross - nice lunch stop but nothing else.  Also drive to Dyea the original town.  They have very few cars.  The border is not a hassle.

• Like 1

You're probably (in my opinion) going to want more time in Skagway than just a half day.  You should *really* consider doing the White Pass Railroad. You can't beat the mountain scenery. 

Edited by Rick&Jeannie
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Rick&Jeannie said:

You're probably (in my opinion) going to want more time in Skagway than just a half day.  You should *really* consider doing the White Pass Railroad. You can't beat the mountain scenery. 

I was thinking about the train that goes to Bennet Lake and Carcross and comes back by bus. If I understand correctly, it will go through White Pass, right?

Just now, Cerbiattina said:

I was thinking about the train that goes to Bennet Lake and Carcross and comes back by bus. If I understand correctly, it will go through White Pass, right?

The train will be for one of the two stops. I am trying to plan the first stop. Twelve hours (or so) in Skagway

We have visited both Haines and Skagway a few times. Although Haines is a great place, I wouldn't shortchange Skagway if it is your first visit and you have a chance to spend a couple of port days there - especially if one is pretty fully taken up by the train excursion, which is very worthwhile. If you can do the combination train one way and bus the other, that provides a great option to see as much as possible. Chilkoot Charters is an excellent company for that.

On your second day in Skagway, you can take in the other sites like the cemetery, museum and perhaps the "Days of 98" show. As suggested, you could rent a car and take a drive to the scenic and historic Dyea area or maybe do one of the short hikes in the area, an easy option is one that goes around to Yakutania point.

There really is enough to see and do in Skagway to fill two days. The ferry to Haines is scenic, but it covers the same route that you see from the ship so it doesn't add much in the way of scenic viewing. The actual town of Haines is small and not much to see - a small Hammer museum and local shops. If you can get out to Chilkoot lake at the right time of year, you can sometimes see bears, but if you don't have your own car that would really require a tour of some sort.

Perhaps for this trip your best bet would be just to focus on getting the most out of Skagway. It's a charming and historic town!

• Like 1

We did he "evening wildlife tour" to Haines. We loved it. We did the White Pass in the morning and then the tour in the PM. We saw bears fishing for salmon, seals, and lots of eagles. If going back in that area again, we would definitely go to Haines.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, katisdale said:

We did he "evening wildlife tour" to Haines. We loved it. We did the White Pass in the morning and then the tour in the PM. We saw bears fishing for salmon, seals, and lots of eagles. If going back in that area again, we would definitely go to Haines.

We have done this tour as well and it's a great option if offered via the cruise ship. This is really not something doable on one's own from Skagway with what the OP is considering with a do it yourself ferry trip. 

We booked it through our ship and were literally the last group walking onboard before they closed up the gangway to sail away. It would be a risky bet to try to make that work as an independent tour.

But your point is a good one, in that if the OP wants to see Haines, a ship excursion might be the best (and safest) option!

1 hour ago, Cerbiattina said:

The train will be for one of the two stops. I am trying to plan the first stop. Twelve hours (or so) in Skagway

You should talk to my wife. She knows all the brew pubs and quilting stores in the Alaska ports.

• Like 1

I don't think the cruise ship offers the evening tour. I looked at one to Chilkoot Lake with wildlife viewing but several people lamented that all they did was to drive around and only 45 minutes on the actual trail.  Plus, they said there was a lot of hanging around without really doing anything. I am oriented toward canceling the trip to Haines altogether and exploring Skagway instead. With two full days, one will be dedicated to the train ride to Carcross through Bennet Lake and the White Pass - it has all positive reviews, supposedly it stops quite often to allow photos and such. The other day will be in Skagway town and we will see the cemetery, the museum and maybe find a way to go see the old town. I also read that there is a trail not too far from the cruise dock. A little trekking will be nice as well. I read that the stretch of sea between Skagway and Haines is very scenic and breathtaking - that is why I wished to see it, but I did not understand that we would see it anyway from the cruise ship. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, karatemom2 said:

We have visited both Haines and Skagway a few times. Although Haines is a great place, I wouldn't shortchange Skagway if it is your first visit and you have a chance to spend a couple of port days there - especially if one is pretty fully taken up by the train excursion, which is very worthwhile. If you can do the combination train one way and bus the other, that provides a great option to see as much as possible. Chilkoot Charters is an excellent company for that.

On your second day in Skagway, you can take in the other sites like the cemetery, museum and perhaps the "Days of 98" show. As suggested, you could rent a car and take a drive to the scenic and historic Dyea area or maybe do one of the short hikes in the area, an easy option is one that goes around to Yakutania point.

There really is enough to see and do in Skagway to fill two days. The ferry to Haines is scenic, but it covers the same route that you see from the ship so it doesn't add much in the way of scenic viewing. The actual town of Haines is small and not much to see - a small Hammer museum and local shops. If you can get out to Chilkoot lake at the right time of year, you can sometimes see bears, but if you don't have your own car that would really require a tour of some sort.

Perhaps for this trip your best bet would be just to focus on getting the most out of Skagway. It's a charming and historic town!

Thank you!!! I'll take note of your suggestions. Skagway stops are all figured out! I will look into the trail that takes to Yakutania Point. First things first, I will cancel the tickets to Haines. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Cerbiattina said:

I don't think the cruise ship offers the evening tour. I looked at one to Chilkoot Lake with wildlife viewing but several people lamented that all they did was to drive around and only 45 minutes on the actual trail.  Plus, they said there was a lot of hanging around without really doing anything. I am oriented toward canceling the trip to Haines altogether and exploring Skagway instead. With two full days, one will be dedicated to the train ride to Carcross through Bennet Lake and the White Pass - it has all positive reviews, supposedly it stops quite often to allow photos and such. The other day will be in Skagway town and we will see the cemetery, the museum and maybe find a way to go see the old town. I also read that there is a trail not too far from the cruise dock. A little trekking will be nice as well. I read that the stretch of sea between Skagway and Haines is very scenic and breathtaking - that is why I wished to see it, but I did not understand that we would see it anyway from the cruise ship. 

The trip all the way to Bennett Lake is amazing!! We loved having the opportunity to explore around the Bennett Lake area and see the amount of artifacts still laying all around. It's like time stood still - a big outdoor museum. You will not regret the choice - it's a long train ride, but so worth it in my opinion and so much to see going up and back. Just really scenic! 

1 hour ago, katisdale said:

Alaska experiences will vary depending on the month of your visit.  When did you visit Haines?

23 minutes ago, karatemom2 said:

The trip all the way to Bennett Lake is amazing!! We loved having the opportunity to explore around the Bennett Lake area and see the amount of artifacts still laying all around. It's like time stood still - a big outdoor museum. You will not regret the choice - it's a long train ride, but so worth it in my opinion and so much to see going up and back. Just really scenic! 

Thank you for your suggestions, I will take notes of everything you said. This is going to be my first time in Alaska, I am so excited, I would like to see everything!! The return leg from Carcross should be by bus if I understood correctly. Do you recall taking a bus? If so, how was it? I am now looking for directions to do the trail that takes to Yakutania Point. I am pretty sure that is the one I read about. Comments were all so enthusiastic! Thank you again for your detailed suggestions. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Cerbiattina said:

Thank you for your suggestions, I will take notes of everything you said. This is going to be my first time in Alaska, I am so excited, I would like to see everything!! The return leg from Carcross should be by bus if I understood correctly. Do you recall taking a bus? If so, how was it? I am now looking for directions to do the trail that takes to Yakutania Point. I am pretty sure that is the one I read about. Comments were all so enthusiastic! Thank you again for your detailed suggestions. 

Yes, we did take the bus for part of the route. We have done the train/bus combo a couple of times, but just the one time all the way to Lake Bennett, which was my favorite. The bus ride from Carcross is great as it gives you chances to stop along the way and take in the scenery from a different perspective.

The trailhead for Yakutania point is within easy walking distance from town and the dock - just behind the airport. Look online for directions and just ask one of the locals if you need more direction once you get there. It is such a beautiful walk - super easy and the views are amazing!

3 minutes ago, karatemom2 said:

Yes, we did take the bus for part of the route. We have done the train/bus combo a couple of times, but just the one time all the way to Lake Bennett, which was my favorite. The bus ride from Carcross is great as it gives you chances to stop along the way and take in the scenery from a different perspective.

The trailhead for Yakutania point is within easy walking distance from town and the dock - just behind the airport. Look online for directions and just ask one of the locals if you need more direction once you get there. It is such a beautiful walk - super easy and the views are amazing!

Thank you. If you were to choose between A. Explore the town, walk to the cemetery and Yakutania point OR B. Explore the town, walk to the cemetery and Dyea, which one would you do..or can you do both?? I want to see as much as possible, but I don't want to make the day too packed. 

If you go to the Klondike National Historic Park first you can do a ranger lead tour of Skagway. There are limited free tickets for the tours. It will make seeing the cemetery more meaningful. We have done several different tours over the years. Also make sure to walk to Reid Falls behind the cemetery. The museum at the visitors center really gives you a feel for what the gold rushers went through to find gold. 

15 minutes ago, Eileen G said:

If you go to the Klondike National Historic Park first you can do a ranger lead tour of Skagway. There are limited free tickets for the tours. It will make seeing the cemetery more meaningful. We have done several different tours over the years. Also make sure to walk to Reid Falls behind the cemetery. The museum at the visitors center really gives you a feel for what the gold rushers went through to find gold. 

Thank you! Will start from the Klondike National Historic Park. Then we will stopcat the museum, then walk time and then Yakutania Pount. I think we will pass on Dyea and spend the whole day exploring Skagway. As first time it makes more sense. The second time the ship stops in Skagway, we will take the train/bus tour to Bennet Lake and Carcross. This should give us a good feel for the Skagway area.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Cerbiattina said:

Thank you! Will start from the Klondike National Historic Park. Then we will stopcat the museum, then walk time and then Yakutania Pount. I think we will pass on Dyea and spend the whole day exploring Skagway. As first time it makes more sense. The second time the ship stops in Skagway, we will take the train/bus tour to Bennet Lake and Carcross. This should give us a good feel for the Skagway area.

This is a smart plan. If time permits I also highly recommend the “Days of 98” show. It’s a very entertaining performance that provides wonderful historical perspective. A great thing to see before your visit to the cemetery. 

1 hour ago, karatemom2 said:

This is a smart plan. If time permits I also highly recommend the “Days of 98” show. It’s a very entertaining performance that provides wonderful historical perspective. A great thing to see before your visit to the cemetery. 

Thank you! Duly noted 🙂

Have you booked these tours yet?  Skagway gets four ships on most days, so you’ll be in town with up to 10,000 other people.  Tour space is limited and they sell out fast. If you want to walk around Skagway, it’s best to do it in the morning before most people return from their shore excursions.  It can be packed in the afternoons and difficult to walk around.

Edited by wolfie11

Just now, wolfie11 said:

Have you booked these tours yet?  Skagway gets four ships on most days, so you’ll be in town with up to 10,000 other people.  Tour space is limited and they sell out fast.

I booked the train for our return stop. The first stop is going to be self guided but I will look into booking the ranger tour, if available

1 minute ago, Cerbiattina said:

I booked the train for our return stop. The first stop is going to be self guided but I will look into booking the ranger tour, if available

It looks like I can't book the tickets for the Museum because they are first-come first-served. Will be there when the Visitor Center opens at 9:00 am

5 minutes ago, Cerbiattina said:

It looks like I can't book the tickets for the Museum because they are first-come first-served. Will be there when the Visitor Center opens at 9:00 am

As far as I know, you don’t need a ticket for the museum at the train station.  You do need to book a tour of Soapy Smith’s saloon or for the Ranger historical walk. The film they show at the Visitors center is quite good.