Unavailable excursions and dinner reservations

JohnVSB

Hello, we're booked on our first Silversea cruise this coming June. We've previously cruised 2 times on Azamara and 6 times on Celebrity. I signed on today to our account and was surprised to see that many of the excursions are no longer available, both included ones and the extra charge ones. At one port there is nothing available. Also there are only a few slots for dinners available at any of the 6 restaurants requiring reservations for the entire cruise. Of course the open seating options are available. Is this normal for Silversea? On our previous cruises we generally decided which excursion to take after we heard the lecture on the port the evening before docking and dinner was usually reserved the day of or day before. 

It is. You can book excursions as soon as you book which means if you book close to the day of embarkation you often miss out. it changed not too long ago and IHMO is a mistake. And this comes from someone who has already booked our 2026 cruises.

As to dinner reservations bookings open at 120 days out and online those book out quickly especially for Silver Note. however officially 50% of the reservations are meant to be available for online bookings and the other half for bookings on board. So as soon as you board see the Restaurant Manager or the restaurant itself to book what you want. Some get there butlers to do it but that can be hit or miss. Some butlers are excellent and some are a bit slower and you may miss out.

So dinner reservations may not show because it is more than 120 days to your cruise or because your cruise is less than 120 days away.

Edited by drron29
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

52 minutes ago, drron29 said:

It is. You can book excursions as soon as you book which means if you book close to the day of embarkation you often miss out. it changed not too long ago and IHMO is a mistake. And this comes from someone who has already booked our 2026 cruises.

As to dinner reservations bookings open at 120 days out and online those book out quickly especially for Silver Note. however officially 50% of the reservations are meant to be available for online bookings and the other half for bookings on board. So as soon as you board see the Restaurant Manager or the restaurant itself to book what you want. Some get there butlers to do it but that can be hit or miss. Some butlers are excellent and some are a bit slower and you may miss out.

So dinner reservations may not show because it is more than 120 days to your cruise or because your cruise is less than 120 days away.

Good advice.

I’ve only taken one cruise with Silversea so far, but I booked close in time to departure, many excursions were gone, and things opened up later. 

I do plan to take the advice on booking dinners ahead. I really loved Silver Note. 

Thanks all, this is very helpful! We'll definitely keep an eye on excursions to see if any open up and also make restaurant reservations as soon as we board. 

I just booked my May cruise a few weeks ago and the two excursions I really wanted in Phuket were gone.  Most excursions were still available and I was surprised.  I booked most port through the cruise line with only a couple through private tours.  I'm going to check the minute I get on board to see if they held any of the Phuket tours for onboard booking.  If not, I have booked a similar excursion with a private company that I can cancel up to 24 hours in advance.  I'd rather go with the cruise line on this one but I think I've found a good company.  

Good posts above.

I just booked a May 2025 Silversea cruise, and the minute I hung up with our travel agent, I logged in and booked our excursions, got all the ones we wanted. Also set a calendar reminder to book dining 120 days out.

Part of my cruise research is a deep advance dive into the excursions, because I enjoy the research at various sources. I’m an “errors of commission rather than omission” person, and this has been my approach with Seabourn, Regent and Silversea. If we choose “wrong,” we enjoy what we have chosen and make a note on the missed opportunity, and perhaps catch it on another cruise or trip. 

If I were booking later than usual, and something I really wanted was not available, I would evaluate booking the private tour as a splurge or a reliable shore excursion company (allowing a fat margin of safety time to get back to the ship). 

Edited by TwoNavySalts
Typos