Help me choose! Emerald Dawn or Viking Freya?

familymum

We have cruised - multiple times - with both Emerald and Viking.  We actually did the Rhine with Emerald...    My thoughts.

There is no right or wrong answer here.  Our trip with Emerald started off on a rough note as my DH's luggage didn't arrive with him!!  But the cruise director went over & above to get the tardy piece of luggage to us before we left Cologne (so only a couple of days that he had to live with limited clothing...)  Emerald staff washed his clothes each evening for him - free of charge.  That being said, you have no control over the cruise director - or the kitchen staff - so making decisions based on food, wine or staff may not be the best qualifier IMHO.

The things I would look at are size of rooms (if you go with Viking, be aware that the French balcony cabins are actually smaller than the lowest category...), itinerary and tours (both included and optional).   You could get some cooler weather  in late October - but you might not.  Gratuities are included with Emerald - as well as airport transfers even if you don't purchase air with them, and arrive in ahead of the tour.  You have to ask for the transfer, but they will give it to you. 

Docking locations?  Unless it is a port that has a dedicated Viking dock (and some do...) the docking location is determined by the harbor master (not sure if this is the correct title...).

So - unless there is something you really want to see that is only on one of the tours - or there is a huge cost differential (although you have indicated there is not...), I would go with the one that best meets your dates. If that is Viking, then rest assured you have made a good (and informed) choice.

Fran

• Like 2

17 hours ago, gnome12 said:

Because other countries don’t allow it.

I don't it's a legal requirement in the UK because we had to pay in full on booking 10 months in advance for our upcoming Scenic cruise.

I think it's the market. Whilst US customers continue to accept their payment conditions, they'll continue taking the money.

15 hours ago, franski said:

(if you go with Viking, be aware that the French balcony cabins are actually smaller than the lowest category...)

Excuse me, because I've also posted this under a post made in another similar thread but I contend the French balcony and aquarium class cabins have exactly the same floorspace. Viking include the bulkhead width in their aquarium room dimensions. The only use that can be made of that space is the window sill in the bulkhead.

2 hours ago, pontac said:

Excuse me, because I've also posted this under a post made in another similar thread but I contend the French balcony and aquarium class cabins have exactly the same floorspace. Viking include the bulkhead width in their aquarium room dimensions. The only use that can be made of that space is the window sill in the bulkhead.

I actually responded to your other post.  There is a published difference of 15 sq feet between these two cabins. Aquarium cabin = 150 sq feet...  French Balcony = 135 sq feet.  Does the bulkhead equal 15 sq feet??  Not sure...  The biggest difference might be in the available window (upper window vs sliding glass door)...  as well as the cost difference to upgrade.   

I don't know of any other cruise line that has a balcony cabin with less *published* space that an entry level cabin.  My comment was made to encourage the original poster to look closely at the cabin sizes (if size is important) - especially given that they are looking to compare liens.

Fran

Time zones and other commitments meant I have only just read your response on the other thread, to which I responded, and won't repeat here.

I agree with you completely that cabin size is one of the many considerations that potential cruisers should look at. There are so many cruise lines operating now that we have a great choice.