Star class for dummies

So at what price point is the upgrade worth it from Sky to Star for most of you? I am debating between the 2 bedroom Grand and the 2 bedroom aqua for a high school graduation cruise on Harmony. Also should I wait to book onboard in a couple months or just book now to save our spot. What tours can your Genie arrange onboard? One or 2 of my kids are interested in theater but the backstage ins and outs as well (think stage crew, sound, and lighting). What experiences/extras have you had your Genie provide besides the food (and OMG the food)?

Hi! And welcome to the good life!

We've done one SC pre-rona and one after. We've been lucky to have 2 great Genies. We communicated with the first Genie through email and the 2nd through WhatsApp. Both worked well. Our Genie who used WA was great. She knew we didn't care to be bothered in the morning and so she would message us around 11am or so to say she hoped we were having a great day and to please let her know if we needed anything, to please contact her if we wanted lunch in our room, etc. (We LOVED our room and Tarah left it during the day. She figured this out quickly.) She always messaged us to ask if it was convenient to come visit us. We loved her so she was always welcome anytime. She would always act as Maitre D'for us as well I'm Amy specialty restaurant,

unless we were in Coastal Kitchen, then she would just meet us there. 

Here is a tip: since this is your first SC cruise, make time with your family to fill the survey out together and have some fun with it. I find it a fun way to get pumped for your cruise, though repack relatively meaningless. But, this is more important: when your Genie reaches out via email, reply. I created a one page,  bulleted Word doc to briefly describe what's important to us, what's not, foods we hate and love, must dos, must nots. Our Genie ate that up and took it to heart in ways i never imagined. She commented many times how helpful it was. Be sure to include allergies or dietary needs here. 

Also, your Genie will tell you to let him/her know how you want your fridge stocked. She didn't offer Blue Moon in her initial email but i know they have it on the ship, and it was no problem. She also arranged a bid red cooler full of drinks for us. 

I'm sure you'll appreciate the magic Genie elevator key on occasion as well. 😅

Enjoy!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

>> So at what price point is the upgrade worth it from Sky to Star for most of you?

Just got off 1st Star class cruise. It is not about the price, it is about the experience and the luxury. On Anthem, my family had wonderful time and skipped lines for bumper cars and laser tag. Priceless time savings. Genie handled all the bookings, which was great for a 1st timer on Royal. If we were experienced cruisers probably not much benefit. Unlimited specialty dining (restaurants, pub, patisserie) amounts to ~$1,500 for 4 on 7 day cruise. Drink package another $1,000. Unlimited laundry maybe $250 (we had it done every day).

We got theater, galley and bridge tours. They were ok, nothing special. Also got in-port and at-sea North Star. Star Class hour on flowrider, puzzle room. Reserved seats at shows, which was nice. Genie then brought us drinks to seat. 

As other blogs say, it is like buying a first class seat. Still get to the same place, just more comfortable.