Info on Birth Certificates

Cinderose

If you are using a birth certificate make sure it is a state issued document.

The certificate I had did have a raised seal but it was issued and sealed by the county I was born in not the State Department of Health and Vital Statistics.

That is my point, I thought all these years I had a birth certificate but it was a certification of birth registration not an actual birth certificate. After talking to the lady at the State she said the certificate must say either Birth Certification, Certification of Birth or Certificate of Live Birth and bear the State Seal.

Apparently there is a difference and you must have a State issued and sealed birth certificate by the State Department of Health and or Vital Statistics, at least according to the Carnival web site and customer service people.

I didn't understand the difference until this week and this will be the fourth cruise I have been on. In the past cruises my birth certificate was never checked very closely I guess.

I just put this on in case someone else out there is using a similar document.

I guess in the near future it won't matter as I understand after this year pretty much everyone will have to have a passport anyway

Many states are now issuing the certified b/c on state watermark paper, no raised seal.

Also - in all of Carnival's literature and the 'Welcome Aboard' booklet that is included in your doc package - they say "STATE-ISSUED B/C".

At the cruise terminal, I witnessed a lady leaving the terminal in big sobbing tears and an angry husband. Her b/c was a hospital document, and she wasn't allowed on the ship. I felt so sorry for her, but all the info Carnival puts out says a 'state-issued b/c'.

The following blurb was copied from Carnival's website:

Guest names on travel documents (passport, Alien Resident Card, birth certificate, etc.) must be identical to those on the cruise and airline tickets. Otherwise, proof of name change (e.g., a marriage license) OR a valid driver’s license (or government-issued photo ID) must be presented.

Or you can wait until January 1, 2007 when the U.S. will require PASSPORTS for every citizen coming back into the U.S., including citizens. Get them now, just think how many people will be applying next winter, last moment.

I thought this year you had to have a passport. I didn't need one for my last cruise, but this year I was told I had to have one.

I'm going to recheck Carnival's website, I won't go through the trouble of getting a passport if I don't need to.

You will not need a passport for Caribbean cruise travel until after 12/31/06, but I would strongly recommend getting one. Someone on another thread had an excellent point. What if something happened and you needed to fly out from one of your ports? You will need a passport to fly out.

You can fill out all the paperwork on the US State Department web site and go to most post offices to get it processed. It isn't that difficult anymore.

Just make sure your Birth Certificate has the raised seal. You will need it to get a passport. Also might be smart to go online to your Birth State's website and find out where to get a birth certificate from. I know from my own experience that New York State goes to Albany and has a six month waiting period. Also that those born in New York City must go to their city hall, not to Albany.

I used a website that charged about $30.00 plus shipping and had my Birth Certificate in 2 days. I don't remember who I used, but it was worth the money I paid. Most states charge a fee for each copy.Anywhere from $10.00 -$30.00 dollars.

Since Hurricane Katrina, getting a passport is a pain. The New Orleans bureau is not operating, so you have to go to Baton Rouge. So basically South Louisiana has one passport office. You can only imagine what kind of traffic is moving through that place.

This was the case last time I inquired about getting a passport. Maybe things have improved. Don't know I guess I'll have to find out. I checked out Carnival's website and it looks like I'll be safe with Birth Certificates this year, but next year I'll def have to get the passports.

Just make sure your Birth Certificate has the raised seal. You will need it to get a passport. Also might be smart to go online to your Birth State's website and find out where to get a birth certificate from. I know from my own experience that New York State goes to Albany and has a six month waiting period. Also that those born in New York City must go to their city hall, not to Albany.

I used a website that charged about $30.00 plus shipping and had my Birth Certificate in 2 days. I don't remember who I used, but it was worth the money I paid. Most states charge a fee for each copy.Anywhere from $10.00 -$30.00 dollars.

This used to be the case but many states have gone away from issuing documents with raised seals. It is impossible to obtain one. They use special papers. Make sure that you have a state issued birth certificate.

It only makes sense that port personnel check a little closer and be a little more careful when reviewing documents, to insure we are who we say we are. I do feel sorry for the woman who was turned away because of her b/c but, it's "our" responsibility to insure our documents are proper before we get to the pier. If they accepted her documents as they were, what's to say they won't accept someone who wants to do more than enjoy the trip.

On our last Victory cruise, we had a "bomb" scare by a woman who claimed to be related to Bin Ladin. Whether she was or not, crazy or not, it caused a lot of concern to a lot of people. It cost us a few hours tethered at Grand Caymen and changed a lot of vacation memories.

It only takes 5-6 weeks to get a passport and then you know everything is ok. You're gonna need it soon anyway, why wait?

"Many states are now issuing the certified b/c on state watermark paper, no raised seal.

Also - in all of Carnival's literature and the 'Welcome Aboard' booklet that is included in your doc package - they say "STATE-ISSUED B/C".

At the cruise terminal, I witnessed a lady leaving the terminal in big sobbing tears and an angry husband. Her b/c was a hospital document, and she wasn't allowed on the ship. I felt so sorry for her, but all the info Carnival puts out says a 'state-issued b/c'."

Cinderose - I see you "copied and pasted" my direct quotes from another post. That's called plagiarism, dear.:D

My Husband was born in Japan while his father was in the NAVY the birth certificate his mother had said naval hospital and also FPO San Fransisco.

I had to sent to the passport office for a

Consular Report of Birth Abroad -FS-240 or

Certificate of Birth -DS-1350

still have not gotten it not sure what else to try i hope it was the right way to get one for him?? they say 4-8 weeks its been 5 they keep the money i sent eihter way the back to passport office to get passport

Called Carnival re:my BF's b/c it was issued in 2000 and is the size of a credit card no raised seal only water mark bottom corner. She said that alot of states do not do the raised seal anymore and the water mark (as long as it's issued from the state) is fine. Just thought I'd add this to the mix. And also his says Certification of Birth on the top. Anyone else have these kind?

The New York State Department of Health does not file and cannot issue copies of New York City birth certificates. However, if you are born in the City of New York in any one of the five (5) boroughs of New York City (Manhattan, Kings,(Brooklyn) Queens, the Bronx, and Staten Island,(Richmond) you can obtain a certified copy of your birth certificate from

New York City Dept. of Health and Mental Hygiene.

My friend who is cruising with us next month decided to call them and order a new copy. The one she has now isn't in the best shape.

If you were born outside the city then you'll order a copy from the State of New York.

The certificate I had did have a raised seal but it was issued and sealed by the county I was born in not the State Department of Health and Vital Statistics.

That is my point, I thought all these years I had a birth certificate but it was a certification of birth registration not an actual birth certificate. After talking to the lady at the State she said the certificate must say either Birth Certification, Certification of Birth or Certificate of Live Birth and bear the State Seal.

Apparently there is a difference and you must have a State issued and sealed birth certificate by the State Department of Health and or Vital Statistics, at least according to the Carnival web site and customer service people.

I didn't understand the difference until this week and this will be the fourth cruise I have been on. In the past cruises my birth certificate was never checked very closely I guess.

I guess in the near future it won't matter as I understand after this year pretty much everyone will have to have a passport anyway

Many states are now issuing the certified b/c on state watermark paper, no raised seal.

At the cruise terminal, I witnessed a lady leaving the terminal in big sobbing tears and an angry husband. Her b/c was a hospital document, and she wasn't allowed on the ship. I felt so sorry for her, but all the info Carnival puts out says a 'state-issued b/c'.

Guest names on travel documents (passport, Alien Resident Card, birth certificate, etc.) must be identical to those on the cruise and airline tickets. Otherwise, proof of name change (e.g., a marriage license) OR a valid driver’s license (or government-issued photo ID) must be presented.

Or you can wait until January 1, 2007 when the U.S. will require PASSPORTS for every citizen coming back into the U.S., including citizens. Get them now, just think how many people will be applying next winter, last moment.

Here's what information I got for passport application and it looks if it's government issued---not just from the state. You would think if this is acceptable to obtain a passport, it would also be for a cruise. I might just go and get another one (on the new paper) just to be safe....even though mine is certified with the seal and signature from the county within the state I was born in. Confusing! :confused:

Passport Agency

I. Birth Certificates

1. What constitutes an acceptable birth certificate for passport application purposes?
  1. A government issued (city, county, or state registry) birth certificate
    • that has the seal of the issuing office,
    • the signature of the registrar or custodian of the birth record,
    • the recording or filing date that is within one year of the person’s birth, and for
    • children under age 14 the name(s) of the parent(s).

[*]Is a Notification or Certification of Birth Registration acceptable?

Only if they contain the information shown above.

[*]Is a Hospital Birth Certificate acceptable for proof of citizenship to get a passport?

No.

Archived