Silver Moon, May 5-23 and May 23 - June 9, 2024

FLRI

Thought I'd start this thread so we can share any news on these two voyages that seem to be very much in limbo due to the Red Sea situation.

• May 5 - 23, 2024, Singapore to Mumbai
  • May 23 - June 9, 2024, Mumbai to Athens

Of course there is May 23 - June 1, a shorter sub-segment, Mumbai to Jeddah, which is still for sale on the website...as are the two voyages above. Is Silversea still actively selling them knowing there is a high probability they will change???

The Moon needs to get from Singapore to Athens by June for the summer Med season.

The question is, what will Silversea do about these voyages and WHEN???

Every other cruiseline is making changes. Anyone on these voyages needs to re-arrange flights etc. The longer they wait the more difficult and costly those changes become. 

When will Silversea finally make a decision and announcement???

It seems virtually certain the May 23 itinerary will be significantly changed. But what about May 5 - 23??? Will the ship skip Mumbai and head from Sri Lanka, to the Seychelles, Madagascar and Cape Town before heading up the western coast of Africa? Or will they do what Crystal is doing? Are they waiting to see how the Crystal voyage thru the Red Sea goes??

A change in disembarkation port will significantly change flight arrangements. We are all hoping they make an announcement as soon as possible rather than the 45 or 30 day mark. Unfortunately the track record for making announcements at the last minute is not good!

Thoughts, comments, opinions??

We are on May 5th cruise Singapore - Mumbai and have to say we are getting a little nervous about it. If the cruise is shortened, flights have to be rearranged and fares are likely to be higher due to short notice.

If it is cancelled at the last minute, it gives no time to rebook.

As a plan B, we are looking at other cruise lines but at this stage nothing really suits or fits our time frame.

Yes, with the prices of airfare these days, any change is going to be a fortune. Why are they waiting on this??? Odds are pretty small that the situation would improve so dramatically in the next two months that they would be able to go thru the Suez.

We are on both these voyages and cannot imagine them going ahead.  SS will not cancel its Med itineraries so these two cruises are on the chopping block.  It seems clear that Silversea wants to hold on to our money for as long as possible so I expect the latest possible notice from them at this point.  

Two days ago I wrote SS regarding the possible cancellation and their written reply was that these cruises are going ahead but that they are 'monitoring the situation.'  Of course almost every other cruise line has already cancelled, a cargo ship was just sunk by the Houthis, but hey, we're sailing!

And RCL has cancelled their World Cruise May segment through the Red Sea and Canal already. About time SS realised keeping people hanging on doesn't endear them to a significant numbers of their passengers.

8 hours ago, drron29 said:

And RCL has cancelled their World Cruise May segment through the Red Sea and Canal already. About time SS realised keeping people hanging on doesn't endear them to a significant numbers of their passengers.

Exactly! It doesn’t matter how they word the “Dear Esteemed Guest” email, it erodes customer confidence and loyalty.  Every cruise line has figured this out and cancelled — and as Texanaust mentioned, “but yes, they’re sailing!”  Why hasn’t Silversea cancelled? It makes their management team look bad. 

We are also on the Mumbai to Athens section and just wish they would cancel now! We know it’s not going ahead, they know it’s not going ahead! Cynical me would say they’re hanging on to our money, non cynical me would think they have a lot of logistics to sort out.

We always book our flights separately but this time we didn’t as we’re doing an Indian trip prior to the cruise and it seemed easier to let Silversea sort it out. Good thing we did for if it’s cancelled Silversea will have to sort it out!

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Kauaijim said:

One would think they would not repeat what they did to us on the 1/6 trip from Aquba . 

As the eccentric Spike milligan said - "I have learnt from my mistakes and can confidently repeat every one of them."

SS may be headed down the same path.

But on another place a guest complaining that their TA Vancouver to Tokyo on the Moon has disappeared. Following that is one Tokyo to Tokyo cruise finishing on October 12th and the next cruise is November 17th Sydney to Auckland.

Where and when was the decision not to do repositioning cruises announced? We are on a Muse Cruise May 1st. First leg is  Tokyo to Vancouver and we have heard nothing about a cancellation.

I don’t think Muse is impacted, it is largely Moon & Nova. Large gaps in the itineraries appear from Sept 2025. Finish in Vancouver, next cruise starts in Cairns. There are a number of examples like this for both Nova & Moon. 

I have spent a bit of time looking at all the ships itineraries on the basis they will probably cancel the Singapore to Mumbai cruise and hopefully there was an acceptable alternative for any refunds….which I couldn’t find.

We are also booked on a repositioning cruise on the Shadow in January - LA to Tahiti. No cancellation notice to date. I see no evidence that Silversea has decided not to do repositioning cruises.

Agree, they will always reposition, and historically they have sold these suites to passengers. However, what I have seen is Moon & Nova for late 2025 itineraries are starting the ‘new’ season without advertising the suites to reposition the ships to the new region. This is just what I have seen when looking up cruise options. It doesn’t impact those already booked on cruise’s, as SS has made a commitment to sail with passengers on those itineraries. 

Honestly, cruising is becoming all too hard.

If our Singapore - Mumbai cruise is cancelled it will be our 7th since 2020!

In fact, we booked this cruise because our Silver Ray cruise was cancelled.

Joc123, You are absolutely spot on. It is becoming hard. I think this would be our 4th cancellation. I only hope they give us plenty of notice if they cancel, and if they proceed that the ship is well stocked. 

7 hours ago, pandawil said:

SS have made the decision to not do any repositioning cruises. Such as shame as it limits their itinerary.

This doesn't make any sense at all.  Maybe they are still deciding on ports, etc before releasing these itineraries? 

No cruise ship sails empty for any length of time-it is not profitable!!!  Silversea is not completely stupid and they will not reposition empty unless they absolutely have to last minute.  This thread is about two sailings where Silversea's management team has made some poor choices in not notifying its guests about cancellations in a timely manner.  As for all future repositionings being cancelled-well that is a very broad extrapolation of what is currently taking place.

First Miami made a decision and we do get the 10% t ransferred.

Which brings me to my second point. Before the Muse cruises for early 2026 there were no cruises in November, December 2025. So the Muse was in Athens and the next cruise began in Mahe which we have booked. It could have been thought that there were to be no repositioning cruises but this week they have appeared, So the cruise before ours is Mumbai to Mahe which we will book.

Saves us a big problem as hotel rooms for January 2025 are insane with the cheapest Hilton property being the Doubletree at $1000 a night!.

If you think that's bad IHG have only one property a Six Senses resort and for the night before our cruise was a measly $39000 for the one night.

So now we will be bringing our hotel room with us.

I hope the Management Team is reading these posts. Let's all hope for the best outcome and remember that managing in difficult times is the true test of any corporation.  My hearts go out for the crew.  I will be slightly inconvenienced,  but my job and income are not on the line. 

7 hours ago, regent traveller said:

I hope the Management Team is reading these posts. Let's all hope for the best outcome and remember that managing in difficult times is the true test of any corporation.  My hearts go out for the crew.  I will be slightly inconvenienced,  but my job and income are not on the line. 

Yes, one would hope they are reading these posts. It makes them and the organization look incompetent and oblivious, and like they can’t make a decision. It is abundantly clear the situation in the Red Sea will not improve in time for these voyages to sail thru it. Unfortunately whatever their process is, it’s not a good one as they wait until the last minute to announce changes. Perhaps the poster who said they are just trying to hang onto the money as long as possible is correct. There is no reason for these voyage changes to not be announced now. They are only hurting themselves financially by waiting and significantly eroding customer and crew goodwill. They should be ashamed of themselves and embarrassed. For all of Barbara Muckerman’s PR and approachable persona, this is really poor management and decision-making. It may not be her decision since it’s fleet operations, but if affects their customers, finances, employees etc. and she’s in charge. 

On 3/3/2024 at 7:50 PM, Joc123 said:

Honestly, cruising is becoming all too hard.

If our Singapore - Mumbai cruise is cancelled it will be our 7th since 2020!

In fact, we booked this cruise because our Silver Ray cruise was cancelled.

I'm with you, but this will be my 3rd.  I booked this because our 34 day SB Singapore to Athens cancelled and our Oceania before that.  I found a way to work this out with the same dates spending a week in Singapore and a trip from Mumbai to Istanbul for a week.  It felt like the perfect option and I'm all out of ideas if this doesn't work out.