Oceania Decline

mamaclark

Just landed from a Seabourn Encore cruise (Hong Kong to Singapore) and sailed with Oceania last July I would say each has their own plus points.  SB main restaurant food was outstanding, great range and everything we had was delicious. Their lunch time buffet style (with a short menu of items to order) was not as good as Oceania. We tended to opt for a salad, but SB offered the same cold things (in the main) each day, Oceania’s offering was much more varied. We really enjoyed Oceania’s speciality restaurants, but really didn’t like Thomas Keller at all, no atmosphere and not as good as the main restaurant IMO. One thing I really found disappointing on SB was the quality of the bed linen and rather lumpy pillows. Oceania’s bed sheets and pillows were superb.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Northernroots said:

Just landed from a Seabourn Encore cruise (Hong Kong to Singapore) and sailed with Oceania last July I would say each has their own plus points.  SB main restaurant food was outstanding, great range and everything we had was delicious. Their lunch time buffet style (with a short menu of items to order) was not as good as Oceania. We tended to opt for a salad, but SB offered the same cold things (in the main) each day, Oceania’s offering was much more varied. We really enjoyed Oceania’s speciality restaurants, but really didn’t like Thomas Keller at all, no atmosphere and not as good as the main restaurant IMO. One thing I really found disappointing on SB was the quality of the bed linen and rather lumpy pillows. Oceania’s bed sheets and pillows were superb.

I agree entirely about the food on Encore compared with Oceania. My bed on the Encore was lovely! Don’t remember the linen being inferior to Oceania but I sailed in September and maybe things have changed since then!

Looking forward to Solis next month. So glad Thomas Keller has gone on the Quest.

Edited by Vallesan

I'm currently recovering from the jet lag flying home, following my Viking Mars trans-Atlantic crossing. IMHO Oceania & Viking are the two closest competitors, the "upper premium" category. That's why I like checking into this board to feel the pulse of other lines.

Seems to me that some Viking loyalists are beginning to feel the same way. Small details that ad up when combined ad to this experience & perspective. From the vantage point now looking back pre Covid, there's been more "needs improvement" on my comment card. Specifically regarding bar/lounge services, food presentation, entertainment, & senior officer visibility. 

My Neptune crossing in December 2022 was the first time I stepped off a Viking ship underwhelmed and disappointed. Overall a sloppy product presentation, not aligned with Viking's usual lazer focused attention to detail. Boarding Mars two weeks ago I was somewhat on guard. 

The first two days the bar/lounge service was spotty at best. On the third day I had a meeting with the ships hotel general manager, who was warmly receptive & genuinely concerned about the experience I was having thus far. I made it clear that my bringing this to his attention was in no way meant to be a complaint in anger or to report any specific crew member,   but to give management the chance to know what's happening from a passengers perspective, so they can hopefully rectify the situation. Within that day everything improved for the remainder of the cruise. 

• Like 3