3 Queens

Wonky

So probably one for @bluemarble or another aficionado. Is this the closest the 3 Queens have been to each other in sometime?? All in the same country’s water’s albeit a very big country!

1 hour ago, Wonky said:

So probably one for @bluemarble or another aficionado. Is this the closest the 3 Queens have been to each other in sometime?? All in the same country’s water’s albeit a very big country!

It may well be. QE and QV will be within a few hours of each other with QV departing Sydney this evening and QE arriving Sydney tomorrow morning. QM2 is at sea between Yorkeys Knob and Darwin, arriving at Darwin on March 6th.

All three ships were in Australian waters last year as well though. The closest they got to each other last year may have been on March 5th. QV was at Cairns, QM2 passed close by on her way to Airlie Beach the next day, while QE was across the country at sea between Albany and Busselton.

Posted (edited)

Aren't we lucky in Australia for now? I have become a bit of a Cunard tragic/anorak! Have gone into the Quay over the last few weeks to say hello to ALL the Queens this time around, first time I've ever seen QV, first voyage on and very recent disembarkation in Sydney from QM2. Probably not going to happen again because Cunard are "abandoning" us after 2025, apart from the occasional drop-in on the way around the globe.

Edited by maggielou362
typo
  • Like 1

Here is a capture from marinetraffic showing QV and QE passing each other a few minutes ago in the early morning hours of 5 March 2024 northeast of Newcastle, NSW. QV is on her way to Airlie Beach while QE is heading into Sydney later this morning. I calculate they were about 10.2 NM apart at their closest approach.

QEandQVAustralia2024-03-05.thumb.jpg.f3c672506f5364ed79a61ff1d0adb153.jpg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

I thought I saw another cruise ship this morning!  Might have been QV.  It was a little too far to tell and I couldn't check on Marinetraffic as I'd run out of QE WiFi and wasn't yet close enough to shore for mobile data. 

• Like 1