Airport transfers at scandalous prices

Prices from Explora for disembarkation transfers in Miami are scandalous. As per their form below, transfers from pier to hotel/airport in a sedan start at Euro 275 ($300 US). In contrast, I just booked the same transfer with a local limo company for US $50 im an SUV. Why the rip off prices?

IMG_3954.jpeg

IMG_3955.jpeg

3 hours ago, commodoredave said:

Prices from Explora for disembarkation transfers in Miami are scandalous. As per their form below, transfers from pier to hotel/airport in a sedan start at Euro 275 ($300 US). In contrast, I just booked the same transfer with a local limo company for US $50 im an SUV.

I used MJS transportation from POM to FLL at $20 per person plus tip.  Guest services actually called my room to see if I could add a lone elderly woman to my group.  Explora's price to Fort Lauderdale airport would have been 500 euros for her to take a private coach. 

36 minutes ago, Wheelhouse said:

I used MJS transportation from POM to FLL at $20 per person plus tip.  Guest services actually called my room to see if I could add a lone elderly woman to my group.  Explora's price to Fort Lauderdale airport would have been 500 euros for her to take a private coach. 

Thanks for the tip. I will need to transport 4 people from FLL to POM in January. I will try tvis company.

The thread does make me smile.  Look folks, getting from the POM to MIA is easily done by simply grabbing a taxi (there is a taxi queue outside the cruise ship terminal).  I believe they have eliminated the flat rate airport fare and now run the meter.  But the fare should be no more then $35 (for the entire taxi).  Uber rates vary but at this very moment it is less than $20 (for an entire car).

If you need to get to FLL we generally prefer Uber or Lyft.  Although prices vary (surge pricing) the cost is usually in the $40-$45 range.

Not surprised that EJ would offer outrageous prices.  I think some luxury lines make the assumption that their clientele could care less about pricing.  

Hank

• Like 1

On 3/10/2024 at 12:18 PM, Hlitner said:

The thread does make me smile.  Look folks, getting from the POM to MIA is easily done by simply grabbing a taxi (there is a taxi queue outside the cruise ship terminal).  I believe they have eliminated the flat rate airport fare and now run the meter.  But the fare should be no more then $35 (for the entire taxi).  Uber rates vary but at this very moment it is less than $20 (for an entire car).

If you need to get to FLL we generally prefer Uber or Lyft.  Although prices vary (surge pricing) the cost is usually in the $40-$45 range.

Not surprised that EJ would offer outrageous prices.  I think some luxury lines make the assumption that their clientele could care less about pricing.  

Hank

Good information. I can think of no valid reason to pay the outrageous prices as offered by Explora.

Just now, commodoredave said:

Good information. I can think of no valid reason to pay the outrageous prices as offered by Explora.

I would draw a comparison to Seabourn where we paid about $150 (US) for a private car/driver from Monte Carlo to our hotel in Nice.  We thought that was a pretty good deal (the car was very nice) and since we had some OBC left over, it made a lot of sense.  I imagine that EJ would probably charge at least $500 for that transfer :).

Hank

1 minute ago, Hlitner said:

I would draw a comparison to Seabourn where we paid about $150 (US) for a private car/driver from Monte Carlo to our hotel in Nice.  We thought that was a pretty good deal (the car was very nice) and since we had some OBC left over, it made a lot of sense.  I imagine that EJ would probably charge at least $500 for that transfer :).

Hank

They would. But why? It may alienate people if they feel ripped off and make them less likely to sail with Explora again.

1 minute ago, commodoredave said:

They would. But why? It may alienate people if they feel ripped off and make them less likely to sail with Explora again.

We honestly never felt ripped-off on EJ (we spent 18 days on the ship) and I would assume that most EJ cruisers are intelligent enough to make their own decisions about rip-offs.  Suffice it to say we did not book any ridiculous EJ excursions (we did take one reasonably priced culinary dinner/tour with some onboard chefs).  Anyone who pays the EJ price for an airport transfer to MIA apparently has no interest in money or value.

Our issues with EJ are about their lack of communications, their attitude towards itineraries (seem to change at a whim), and some other attitude problems onboard.  We are not considering any future bookings until they have some time to get their act together.

Hank

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Hlitner said:

We honestly never felt ripped-off on EJ (we spent 18 days on the ship) and I would assume that most EJ cruisers are intelligent enough to make their own decisions about rip-offs.  Suffice it to say we did not book any ridiculous EJ excursions (we did take one reasonably priced culinary dinner/tour with some onboard chefs).  Anyone who pays the EJ price for an airport transfer to MIA apparently has no interest in money or value.

Our issues with EJ are about their lack of communications, their attitude towards itineraries (seem to change at a whim), and some other attitude problems onboard.  We are not considering any future bookings until they have some time to get their act together.

Hank

I’m not fond of price gouging in any situation as it shows a disregard for passengers. Where might it occur next? Be careful!

• Like 2

We found the prices for the excursions offered for our upcoming Explora cruise to be laughable 4 to 5 times what we could book for a private tour.  Then they sent an email to our TA advising them to sell the tours on our behalf.