NCL App

I am on the ship and if everyone has an iphone, you can text without using minutes on the wifi. I am not 100% certain, but I know most of our group is not on unlimited internet. 

• Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, Texas Realtor said:

I am on the ship and if everyone has an iphone, you can text without using minutes on the wifi. I am not 100% certain, but I know most of our group is not on unlimited internet. 

Thank you! I appreciate the up-to-the-minute confirmation!

On 3/5/2024 at 10:36 AM, rbxlady said:

Thank goodness! If iMessaging doesn't work for whatever reason, I don't mind spending $20 for our kids to have access to the NCL app for the week, especially if it gives them the daily rundown. I wasn't up for spending $140 for the week, though, especially when our cruise is slightly more port-intensive than our last one, just for access to the app.

know that the app is free.  You only pay the $10 if you want them to be able to send messages.  If you just want them to see the dailies, there is no cost.

• Thanks 1

again, you only pay $10 per person if you want them to be able to send messages using the proprietary system on the app. using the backend apple imessaging loophole costs nothing and doesn't consume wifi minutes.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

Just to confirm what we all already know, we disembarked this past Sunday, and my husband, my kids, and I were all able to text each other (no pictures, though) on our iPhones on the NCL wifi even though only my husband and I had internet packages. In other words, the kids did not have to download the NCL app (and we did not have to pay $10/child) to be able to message each other. Hopefully this latest iOS update didn't mess with that loophole!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

You can even text people with iPhones back home on land for free, as long as you are on the wifi.  Make sure you are on airplane mode!  If you aren't on airplane mode and pick up the "Cellular at Sea" or whatever it is called, there could be huge charges from your phone company as you will be on data roaming.

Get on airplane mode.  Get on the wifi.  Then you can text for free to other iPhones.

If you want to hop on the internet and use your 150 minutes you will have to push the "Internet" button on the app.  Make sure you log off, or turn off the wifi momentarily, otherwise the minutes could keep running.