Nanortalik and Qaqortoq

How are the shopping there? Such as animal fur rug? How are the prices? Do they accept US currency, credit card? Are we allowed to bring such items back to the US? Much obliged!!!

Posted (edited)
15 hours ago, Kdatcm said:

How are the shopping there? Such as animal fur rug? How are the prices? Do they accept US currency, credit card? Are we allowed to bring such items back to the US? Much obliged!!!

Think you might want to try online research for answers, or maybe contact the official Tourist Information Offices of  both to ask.

You would also need to check if such items would be allowed into the US or banned due to any C.I.T.E.S. violation.

Do bear in mind that both places are very small towns, more like settlements really, and you won't find many outlets selling only tourist items as presumably  there would not be enough trade to sustain such a business. The main town is Nuuk, if you are porting there also, and they did have many stores there. it was the only town where we saw regular stores.   The tiny number of shopping outlets in smaller towns/settlements sell mostly everyday items, think supermarkets.We didn't notice anywhere like that in Nanortalik, but in Qaqortoq there is the "Great Greenland Tannery" near the tender dock which could be worth a try so try googling that one.

And in Greenland, many of the "skins" are sealskin, another item you might want to check for C.I.T.E.S inclusion.

And check too which taxes you might need to pay to import allowable items such as fur or sealskin.

Edited by edinburgher

Posted (edited)
17 minutes ago, Mangrove Snapper said:

I also bought hand made beaded jewelry from an artisan and paid with US cash. 

Beaded items are a traditional craft and we bought some in Nuuk from local ladies who were selling them off tables in the old harbour area.  One told us they make them in winter to sell to summer tourists. We also bought a tiny bone carving from similar ladies with tables at the tender dock in Qaqortoq, paying cash in both locations.

We saw some lovely hand carved items in shops in Nuuk but as they were VERY expensive we only looked. They had a special name which I cannot remember, but I think it began with "t".

Edited by edinburgher
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, edinburgher said:

Beaded items are a traditional craft and we bought some in Nuuk from local ladies who were selling them off tables in the old harbour area. We also bought a tiny bone carving from similar ladies with tables at the tender dock in Qaqortoq, paying cash in both locations.

We saw some lovely hand carved items in shops in Nuuk but as they were VERY expensive we only looked.

I also bought the jewelry at the tender dock in Qaqortoq - lovely beaded earrings and a necklace and also a pair of delicate carved bone earrings. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Mangrove Snapper said:

also bought the jewelry at the tender dock in Qaqortoq - lovely beaded earrings and a necklace and also a pair of delicate carved bone earrings. 

I think many first time visitors to Greenland expect to see the usual array of shopping outlets, taxis offering tours at the dock, and a full selection of shorex, not realising that Greenland is a world away from all of those. We found it a refreshing change, and not a "Diamonds International" in sight!!😉

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

Nuuk is not on our port of call itinerary. I did checked Great Greenland website and according to their site they do have a store in Qaqortoq, we check them out. I will check out C.I.T.E.S. And USDA. Thans again for the replies. 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Kdatcm said:

Nuuk is not on our port of call itinerary. I did checked Great Greenland website and according to their site they do have a store in Qaqortoq, we check them out. I will check out C.I.T.E.S. And USDA. Thans again for the replies. 

Pity that Nuuk is not on the itinerary. Check Great Greenland website to get an idea of what they sell, otherwise you will be looking at items made from beads or horn, or t-shirts or similar, but when we passed through.the Great Greenland oulet we noticed plenty of items made of sealskin,there is only the question of C.I.T.E.S. or USDA?

Posted (edited)

We visited both of these ports last summer. They are very different to a typical cruise port. Small settlements with very little infrastructure, so don't expect lots of tourist shops. In terms of currency Danish Kroner (the official currency), Euros, and US $ were all accepted.

Qaqortoq does have a tourist information shop  next to the tender dock which sells some souvenirs. There is a large shop a short walk from the dock whish is advertised as selling local furs, although we did not visit so I cannot really comment on that. There were a few local craft stalls set up with locals selling hand made souvenirs. It was also possible to book iceberg "safaris" by rib boat from the tourist information (we had an amazing trip seeing icebergs up close).

Nanortalik is even smaller, with very few shops, although again, some locals selling craft items. There is also on open air museum which we really enjoed.

However, the real enjoyment of these two ports is simply to wander and get a sense of the beauty and remoteness of these places, which are unique. The scenery is stunning, and the locals very friendly.

Edited by Simon-t

Many of the animal skins you will find are sealskin which is illegal to bring back to the U.S. In fact, from the videos I've seen as I haven't been there yet, the tannery has a big sign on the wall stating such. I guess if there are other animal skins available that are not seal, you may be able to bring it back.

On 3/6/2024 at 10:01 AM, Simon-t said:

However, the real enjoyment of these two ports is simply to wander and get a sense of the beauty and remoteness of these places, which are unique. The scenery is stunning, and the locals very friendly.

I absolutely agree with you.

Nanortalik is even smaller, with very few shops, although again, some locals selling craft items. There is also on open air museum which we really enjoyed.

The open air museum is not to be missed.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

We visited both of these ports last summer. They are very different to a typical cruise port. Small settlements with very little infrastructure, so don't expect lots of tourist shops. In terms of currency Danish Kroner (the official currency), Euros, and US $ were all accepted.

Qaqortoq does have a tourist information shop  next to the tender dock which sells some souvenirs. There is a large shop a short walk from the dock whish is advertised as selling local furs, although we did not visit so I cannot really comment on that. There were a few local craft stalls set up with locals selling hand made souvenirs. It was also possible to book iceberg "safaris" by rib boat from the tourist information (we had an amazing trip seeing icebergs up close).

Nanortalik is even smaller, with very few shops, although again, some locals selling craft items. There is also on open air museum which we really enjoed.

I agree with you that remoteness of it is what interest me. Do you have any recommendations on what you would do for excursions ? Is it necessary to even book an excursion or is it better to just walk around the area ? I did see one extrusion relatively cheap where you go to a natives house and they cook for you and they explain their life there which seemed interesting to me. Please let me know your thoughts . 

im not afraid to pay for a experience but I hate feeling ripped off and I expect to spend a decent amount bc we will be in Iceland beforehand . Thanks 

Posted (edited)
15 hours ago, Cruiseguy14 said:

Is it necessary to even book an excursion or is it better to just walk around the area

As I mentioned on another of your posts, reading past threads will give you much info. this one re tours

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2990832-greenland-tours/#comment-67062073

Greenland in general

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/search/?q=greenland&quick=1&type=forums_topic&nodes=2705

nanortalik

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/search/?q=nanortalik&quick=1&type=forums_topic&nodes=2705

Qaqortoq

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/search/?q=Qaqortoq&quick=1&type=forums_topic&nodes=2705

Edited by edinburgher

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/6/2024 at 7:01 AM, Simon-t said:

It was also possible to book iceberg "safaris" by rib boat from the tourist information (we had an amazing trip seeing icebergs up close).

Could you just walk off the ship and find these?

10 hours ago, nklpikl said:

Yes, from the tourist information where the tenders dock. It is possible to book via Sagaland tours in advance, which might be best to ensure a place of the port is busy

• Thanks 1