Tampa questions

Hey Cruise Critics,

First cruise(s) for 7 years, first in Caribbean for 16 and first ever from Tampa.

May I canvass for some opinions advice please on a couple of topics?

Firstly, we are doing back to back cruises on Serenade of the Seas 20/10 and 25/10/24; We are arriving on 18/10 and staying at Clearwater Beach.

What advice would you give please for a family of 4 (kids 12 and 15) in getting from the airport to Clearwater.

Any advice in what to do in Clearwater would be appreciated (TBH we are just looking to relax and get some sun away from the British winter!  Reasonably priced restaurants and bars?

I'll check out the port guides for each stop and ask there if any specific questions, but looking in what to do in the connection day in Tampa?  Looks like you can get the trolley at the port?  Thinking we'll just try and explore the city a bit - Ybor looks interesting.

TIA

There is the Clearwater Aquarium (as seen in the movies "Dolphin Tale" and "Dolphin Tale 2". There's also one in Tampa. Lots of places to walk in Tampa, so hopefully the weather will be good for you while you're there. Tampa/Clearwater residents could probably give you more details on that.

• Like 1

The Riverwalk in Tampa is nice and close to port . To me Ybor City is just ok. The Columbia restaurant in Ybor is nice though! The aquarium is right near the cruise ships. 

Uber or Lyft from the airport is cheaper than the one taxi company that operates outbound trips from the airport by about $15-20. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Lots to do in Tampa near the cruise port. Just off Contellation with 3 B2B. Trolley is nice, free. Pirate Water taxi.

I'd stag before the cruise in Tampa. History museum,  Childrens museum, Aquarium . Was not impressed with Ybor city. 

Edited by Rudy888
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
Posted (edited)

Easiest and cheapest way to get to Clearwater Beach is rent a car.  October is not a particularly busy time of the year, so traffic should be easy even if we drive on the wrong side of the road.  Tons of family restaurants up and down the beach road, more south of Clearwater than north.

The port trolley runs right by the ships (parking lot in between, down by the aquarium and up into the central part of town.  Aquarium would be a good place for the kids for a few hours between cruises.  Small shopping mall there as well.

If you have a rental car you can drop Avis at the Embassy next to that mall or Hertz at the Marriott across the street, both adjacent to the trolley.  Trolley isn't designed for luggage but we did use it last trip there.

Of course with a rental car kids might like Busch Gardens in Tampa - nice amusement/animal park.

Edited by LeeW
more

Thanks useful tips.  I don't think we'll have time to do Busch Gardens - if we had more time I would do it before or after the cruise but we have taken the kids out of school for 2 days already

On 3/29/2024 at 5:01 PM, LeeW said:

Easiest and cheapest way to get to Clearwater Beach is rent a car.  October is not a particularly busy time of the year, so traffic should be easy even if we drive on the wrong side of the road.  Tons of family restaurants up and down the beach road, more south of Clearwater than north.

The port trolley runs right by the ships (parking lot in between, down by the aquarium and up into the central part of town.  Aquarium would be a good place for the kids for a few hours between cruises.  Small shopping mall there as well.

If you have a rental car you can drop Avis at the Embassy next to that mall or Hertz at the Marriott across the street, both adjacent to the trolley.  Trolley isn't designed for luggage but we did use it last trip there.

Of course with a rental car kids might like Busch Gardens in Tampa - nice amusement/animal park.

You can take a trolley from Avis to the port? I think my ingress to the port just got solved... 😃