FAS - Can we each bring a bottle? [Not Wine]

Hi all - I've searched for the answer here and didn't actually see a current answer - sorry if its duplicative\\

NVL Bliss - Alaska in June - in the Haven with FAS

I know we can bring unlimited bottles of wine on board - what about liquor?  

I'd love to bring my favorite tequila [figuring the butler can bring me lime] and my wife her favorite gin - is that ok?  Does it have to be concealed or can be put them in a tote in bags to keep them from clinking?   

TIA

no liquor can be brought onboard.

well, it can, but it will be held until the end of the cruise. (typically, this applies to in-port purchases.)

which tequila and gin do you want? is it not available onboard?

6 minutes ago, UKstages said:

which tequila and gin do you want? is it not available onboard?

Don Julio Anejo and Sassenach Gin - neither of which are onboard - just would have been nice sitting in the cabin or on the balcony sipping 

• Like 1

@UKstages, you're not going to like my post, so avert your eyes. 🙂

You could try to bring your liquor onboard. Just put it in your checked bag and you might be able to get it onboard. We've taken all sorts of soda (we honestly forgot it was in the bag, seriously) onboard without being stopped. 

Just be aware that NCL has every right to snatch your liquor and keep it away from you until you leave the ship. Don't cause a scene, just hang your head knowing you were caught. 

• Like 1

The funny thing is that there is a shop in the Barcelona cruise port AFTER the bags are checked.   When we boarded there almost everyone was buying spirits to take on board.   I wonder how many embarkation ports have the same situation.

I don't know where you are embarking but if there is such a shop there you might be lucky.

Also remember that the security bag check is not normally done by NCL staff but by a shore based company.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Anoynmous Phoenix said:

The funny thing is that there is a shop in the Barcelona cruise port AFTER the bags are checked.   When we boarded there almost everyone was buying spirits to take on board.   I wonder how many embarkation ports have the same situation.

I don't know where you are embarking but if there is such a shop there you might be lucky.

Also remember that the security bag check is not normally done by NCL staff but by a shore based company.

Yes, the shops after security do appear on occasion, I've only seen them in a few European ports. Definitely not in Alaska.  The initial check-in will be by shore-based security in Seattle.  They took my bottle of Pepsi (forgotten in my bag) a couple of years ago, so at that time they were paying attention LOL. But security at the ports will be done by ship personnel - and they did let me bring my Pepsi onboard. Now, what their tolerance would be for other stuff, I couldn't say.

Edited by julig22
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Anoynmous Phoenix said:

I have boarded in Barcelona quite a few times and it is about 50:50 as to whether they were scanning bags as you actually board the ship.

I’ve seen many people confidently buying bottles from that shop in the port and then having to pay corkage or deposit the bottles as they board.

All pre the change to allow FAS people to take wine onboard, so it may be that they don’t check as often these days.

18 hours ago, KeithJenner said:

All pre the change to allow FAS people to take wine onboard, so it may be that they don’t check as often these days.

May I ask when they made this change?

We are new to Norwegian - coming from Celebrity where were allowed to bring wine on board.

We do like bring a bottle of wine on board with us so we can enjoy a glass on our balcony.

We do have FAS but didn't know it was allowed.  So just curious...

16 minutes ago, tcmagnum said:

May I ask when they made this change?

We are new to Norwegian - coming from Celebrity where were allowed to bring wine on board.

We do like bring a bottle of wine on board with us so we can enjoy a glass on our balcony.

We do have FAS but didn't know it was allowed.  So just curious...

Not sure exactly when they made the change (I don’t carry wine on myself), but it was some time last year I think.

Basically, if you have free at sea you can carry on as much wine as you like with no charge.

• Like 1

At the end of the day, the simple solution is what does NCL cruise contract state.  It really is that simple - 'logic' has nothing to do with it.  

The 'standard' NCL contract provides:

" . . .The Guest further understands and agrees that any alcoholic beverages purchased ashore shall not be brought or consumed aboard the vessel under any circumstances, but shall be delivered to the vessel's crew at the gangway to be retained by the Carrier until the Guest disembarks at the end of the voyage. The Guest assumes all responsibility for complying with any applicable customs or import laws relating to any such purchase."

So you tell me - can you bring wine aboard? Where is the NCL rule which states you can bring wine aboard??  Can ANYONE point to something in writing that lets me bring wine aboard??  

1 hour ago, erisajd said:

At the end of the day, the simple solution is what does NCL cruise contract state.  It really is that simple - 'logic' has nothing to do with it.  

The 'standard' NCL contract provides:

" . . .The Guest further understands and agrees that any alcoholic beverages purchased ashore shall not be brought or consumed aboard the vessel under any circumstances, but shall be delivered to the vessel's crew at the gangway to be retained by the Carrier until the Guest disembarks at the end of the voyage. The Guest assumes all responsibility for complying with any applicable customs or import laws relating to any such purchase."

So you tell me - can you bring wine aboard? Where is the NCL rule which states you can bring wine aboard??  Can ANYONE point to something in writing that lets me bring wine aboard??  

image.png.06834192eac313b8e0e99b2d009018ff.png

Source: https://www.ncl.com/ca/en/cruise-faq/can-i-bring-alcohol-board

• Like 3