GeoBlue - Out of Network Providers?

Hi All,

New to CC and first time cruiser. We signed up for GeoBlue Voyager Choice as it was affordable for what seems like good coverage (high limit & no deductible) for our cruise to Mexico.

I logged into the customer portal however and did a hospital search and discovered that two of our ports (Puerto Vallarta and Mazatlan) have nearby hospitals that are listed as "NETWORK PROVIDER" but the third port (Cabo San Lucas) only lists a single hospital that is "within 100 miles" in La Paz (over 2 hours away from Cabo) and it's not even marked as in-network.

I've perused the certificate of coverage (and did a CC search) but am having a difficult time finding the language that would explain the coverage for out-of-network emergency medical care should it arise in Cabo. Maybe I'm not looking in the right place or am just an idiot, but before I attempt to call GeoBlue (and likely spend a few hours on hold) has anyone else had experience with GeoBlue Voyage Choice and know the answer? What is the coverage for non-network provider emergency medical care?

Any info would be appreciated. Thanks so much!

55 minutes ago, kevinf2020 said:

Hi All,

New to CC and first time cruiser. We signed up for GeoBlue Voyager Choice as it was affordable for what seems like good coverage (high limit & no deductible) for our cruise to Mexico.

I logged into the customer portal however and did a hospital search and discovered that two of our ports (Puerto Vallarta and Mazatlan) have nearby hospitals that are listed as "NETWORK PROVIDER" but the third port (Cabo San Lucas) only lists a single hospital that is "within 100 miles" in La Paz (over 2 hours away from Cabo) and it's not even marked as in-network.

I've perused the certificate of coverage (and did a CC search) but am having a difficult time finding the language that would explain the coverage for out-of-network emergency medical care should it arise in Cabo. Maybe I'm not looking in the right place or am just an idiot, but before I attempt to call GeoBlue (and likely spend a few hours on hold) has anyone else had experience with GeoBlue Voyage Choice and know the answer? What is the coverage for non-network provider emergency medical care?

Any info would be appreciated. Thanks so much!

Welcome to CruiseCritic!

This suggestion won't help much for this trip, given that you've already purchased the coverage (correct?), but for next time...

You'll note as you browse through this section of CC that many of us recommend purchasing travel insurance through an agent or even a broker who can handle policies from several insurers.  This can help one get the type of policy and coverage that is best suited to the traveler's specific situation and travel plans AND the agent or broker can answer questions (often before one had decided "which" policy) and also help with claims should that be needed.  They can also help one work through one's specific needs, such as any pre-existing medicak conditions; any frail family members who are not traveling; etc.

There is no extra cost for using an agent or broker.

Enjoy your cruise!

GC

• Thanks 1

Hi @GeezerCouple

Thanks for the tip! I actually tried InsureMyTrip but after entering my cruise info, all of the options presented were 3x what I saw from GeoBlue (as they were likely travel insurance + medical and we were only interested in the medical part) and so I went with GeoBlue directly.

It was only after I purchased GeoBlue that I discovered the lack of a "NETWORK PROVIDER" hospital in Cabo doing a doctor/hospital search. I also then realized that if I did a Google search for "GeoBlue Voyager Choice" one of the options that popped up was InsureMyTrip and they did indeed offer it, but apparently when I asked for a quote I must have not selected an option for "medical only" or something. 

Either way, I appreciate your insights. Thanks for responding!

KF

15 hours ago, kevinf2020 said:

What is the coverage for non-network provider emergency medical care?

Coverage is the same. The only difference is a network provider will direct bill GeoBlue.  In most cases, with any other provider you will have to pay the bill and file a claim for reimbursement.  Unfortunately, in most cases people will not end up being treated by a network provider. 

By the way, with an annual GeoBlue "Trekker" plan, in addition to direct billing, the deductible is waived when you use a network provider.  There is no deductible with the single trip Voyageur Choice plan.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Gilford57 said:

Coverage is the same. The only difference is a network provider will direct bill GeoBlue.  In most cases, with any other provider you will have to pay the bill and file a claim for reimbursement.  Unfortunately, in most cases people will not end up being treated by a network provider. 

By the way, with an annual GeoBlue "Trekker" plan, in addition to direct billing, the deductible is waived when you use a network provider.  There is no deductible with the single trip Voyageur Choice plan.

Thank you for this info @Gilford57. Very helpful!

Yes, we got the Voyager Choice plan with the $0 deductible. It was only a few dollars more (literally) than the plans with deductibles. Fingers crossed we won't need the insurance at all but good to know we are covered by insurance, even with non-network providers (reimbursement is better than no coverage at all). Thanks again!