Regent v. Ponant

So I've been talking with a travel agent who found me 2 cruise options this summer - both to Scandinavia - one on Regent Seven Seas and one on Ponant. I had been leaning towards Regent, but they only have very expensive staterooms left. Is it worth the hefty price tag? Has anyone cruised on both and can give me a nice comparison? 

Any and all advice would be great!

Thanks!

Posted (edited)

I would say no, not worth it. We have cruised quite a bit, however only once on Regent and Ponant each. We sailed on Regent in the second to highest category, and Ponant on the second to lowest. 

We are an active couple in our mid-60’s.

On Regent, we were very disappointed in the pre-cruise hotel, shore excursions and overall atmosphere. In our case, the average passenger was late 70’s to early 80’s. The food was very good to excellent. The main dining room was the overall winner, with the Italian restaurant only so-so. We don’t go to shows so can’t speak to that, but found the lounge entertainment very dated. Included shore excursions were mostly bus rides or slow walk abouts. Our butler was delightful. We did enjoy being able to choose daily where to have dinner. The ship, Splendor, was inwardly focused and lacked the outside venues and deck space we prefer. The library was spectacular.

Our Ponant cruise differed slightly from normal in that the ship was fully chartered by Abercrombie and Kent and the language used aboard was solely English. The food was outstanding with just one or two dishes missing the mark over two weeks. Passengers  were closer to our age. We loved the ease of getting on and off the ship. (No meeting in a large room to have your number called.) Our excursions were uniformly fantastic. Note here: A and K ran these with their personnel and some ship people, so may not be a good comparison. Entertainment was adequate. We loved the daily lectures on topics germane to the region. (Indonesia) We personally prefer the smaller ship atmosphere (700 vs 200). 

While we enjoyed the Regent cruise 1 1/2 years ago, we would not book with them again. Value (to us) was not there. We have already considered Ponant again since our sailing last fall and hope to travel with them again in the near future.

Of course, everyone is different! 

Edited by Pudgesmom

I did both  : i am never going back to Ponant. I do speak French fluently  - the bar and the wine list ( non complimentary wines )  were very good at decent prices 

but the food was not ok even poor   despite the so said advices by a company owned by a famous multi starred chef  i remember also the  very poor quality of tea and coffee  

breakfast was poor for a French company the croissants were unacceptable - maybe it improved post covid  

also when a particular cheese was nearly finished it was not replaced

somebody told me the nice Hermes bathroom  products were replaced by dispensers  as well 

unless you are in a more expensive degree the bathroom is extremely small