Live From Celebrity Constellation 3/11-3/23

5 hours ago, jam19872016 said:

Our new neighbors (neighbours) at dinner were Canadian. Like the British on Cunard, they brought up politics at dinner. I do find it fascinating their take on American politics, it is certainly not in line with how our media portrays how the rest of the world views Americans. I suppose the socioeconomics of those taking cruises may slant that world view though.

The roasted trout was just as good as I remember from last time. Very very tasty. I tried the masala potatoes again, it's just not what I want it to be so I probably won't try it again. It's not bad, just not as flavorful as I would like from an Indian dish.

Charging my phone for a few minutes then going to see what I can get up to around the ship.

Interesting. On all my many Cunard voyages, I have never even dreamt of bringing up US politics with US (or any other) passengers. The most controversial topic I ever bring up is cricket with Australians, especially if we happen to be winning.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Thank you very much for all the wine lists. There is an impressively wide choice of wines by the glass and the packages seem quite generous. Do those packages include the gratuities?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, jam19872016 said:

Screenshot_20240313-232839_Celebrity.thumb.jpg.1f295fe2f28d07e7ef4eb3b57507b5dd.jpg

We got CD Sue Denning on the floor woth a good crowd, guess they weren't all asleep after all.

17103869985745677007213168363860.thumb.jpg.61a031c68a5593c5121c288909692acb.jpg

I really do enjoy watching people of a certain age dancing to the music they enjoyed as young adults. So cute. 

Rock around the clock 🎶 

So minuets and gavottes and stuff?

😀

• Haha 2

Good morning everyone. 

The ship is swaying a little this morning, nothing too terrible, just noticeable.

I guess since I'm up I'm going to make my way to the next beyond the podium talk, today's topic being 60s tv. After that I will see where the day takes me.

• Like 5

6 hours ago, exlondoner said:

Interesting. On all my many Cunard voyages, I have never even dreamt of bringing up US politics with US (or any other) passengers. The most controversial topic I ever bring up is cricket with Australians, especially if we happen to be winning.

I'm afraid I would be lost should you bring up cricket at dinner. But to be fair, you could bring up (American) football and I would still be clueless except that apperently Taylor Swift is dating some guy who plays for the Chiefs.

6 hours ago, exlondoner said:

Thank you very much for all the wine lists. There is an impressively wide choice of wines by the glass and the packages seem quite generous. Do those packages include the gratuities?

Yes it is included, however you do pay gratuity on any package you purchase or upgrade to. The included package does not charge gratuity so a win against NCL, although to be fair, the included package is already baked into the cruise fare in either line.

I'm not a wine expert, but it seems there are many posts on these boards that would disagree about the selection included in the packages. As I said though, I'm no expert and perhaps they are just being too picky.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 3/12/2024 at 12:58 PM, jam19872016 said:

My mom doesn't really do specialty dining. If I was solo, I would probably do that if I could get a discount. They no longer offer a discount on the planner ahead of time but perhaps they do in person. Full price, meh I think the prices are a bit too steep when you've already paid for a meal in the dining room.

The ole gal is in pretty good shape for her age, just oddly designed with a number of choke points, or maybe we are sailing over capacity. I do like that the ship has three sets of elevators instead of just two like the newer ships.

"The ole gal is in pretty good shape for her age, just oddly designed with a number of choke points."  For a minute, I was not sure if you meant your mom or the ship!  But seriously, enjoying your review.  We have been on the Constellation previously and will be again in May.

• Haha 5

40 minutes ago, Travelling2Some said:

"The ole gal is in pretty good shape for her age, just oddly designed with a number of choke points."  For a minute, I was not sure if you meant your mom or the ship!  But seriously, enjoying your review.  We have been on the Constellation previously and will be again in May.

The ship, definitely the ship 😆

• Haha 3

It's interesting seeing some of the "entertainment". My wife and I always had considered Celebrity but have never made the jump from Royal, but being close to your age, I'm not sure how much we'd enjoy it. The entertainment so far makes me think we may be bored on the ship. Maybe not, but just my initial thoughts so far based on what's been available. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, colesc15 said:

It's interesting seeing some of the "entertainment". My wife and I always had considered Celebrity but have never made the jump from Royal, but being close to your age, I'm not sure how much we'd enjoy it. The entertainment so far makes me think we may be bored on the ship. Maybe not, but just my initial thoughts so far based on what's been available. 

Keep in mind this is a 12 day cruise, so things are geared towards an older crowd. Things are a bit livelier on a shorter sailing. It will never compare to the entertainment on Royal of course, but this is not really a typical offering.

I've often found some of the choices on the mainstream lines odd. Royal really leans into the 70s disco party and Carnival into their motown party, and I just wonder why they think those choices are relevant to the average age onboard. People have fun with it, but they are playing dress up.

This feels more authentic with music that makes sense based on the age of the crowd. They are not pretending, they were there. Of course 70s seems too young, we are going heavy on the 50s and 60s music so far.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, jam19872016 said:

I'm afraid I would be lost should you bring up cricket at dinner. But to be fair, you could bring up (American) football and I would still be clueless except that apperently Taylor Swift is dating some guy who plays for the Chiefs.

Yes it is included, however you do pay gratuity on any package you purchase or upgrade to. The included package does not charge gratuity so a win against NCL, although to be fair, the included package is already baked into the cruise fare in either line.

I'm not a wine expert, but it seems there are many posts on these boards that would disagree about the selection included in the packages. As I said though, I'm no expert and perhaps they are just being too picky.

I’m no expert either, but enjoy drinking the stuff. It seemed to me a decent selection of wines by the glass, but who knows they may all taste horrid. Bet they don’t.

J. B. King of Philadelphia was one of the greatest fast bowlers of the late 19th Century. So now you know something about cricket.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, exlondoner said:

I’m no expert either, but enjoy drinking the stuff. It seemed to me a decent selection of wines by the glass, but who knows they may all taste horrid. Bet they don’t.

J. B. King of Philadelphia was one of the greatest fast bowlers of the late 19th Century. So now you know something about cricket.

I know it now,  but not sure I can retain that information 😆.

I'm pretty agreeable to whatever brand of sparkling wine is presented to me. The only one I've not enjoyed is the one MSC sells for room delivery. 

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, colesc15 said:

I am also around the same age and I almost always sail with Royal Caribbean. Last year, I went on a 7 days Caribbean cruise on the Celebrity Beyond. I was very impressed with the entertainment, particularly the shows that were some of the best I've ever seen on cruise ships. Overall, I really felt like I was the target age for the entertainment.

Not sure if it was that particular ship, the whole Edge class or just because the cruise was shorter, but if you're looking at maybe trying Celebrity I recommend checking out the activity schedule for the Edge class.

• Like 5