christmas markets

zebs

Posted (edited)

Hi

I wish to hear from folks who have done Christmas markets.  I have many questions.

Did you get any snow?

What countries did you visit?

Do you have a favourite market?

Were the meals festive style?

What time do the markets open?  ......just curious as in the past cruises I have done set sail to the next destination about 7 or 8 at night, when I would rather have more night time at the markets to see the lights in the dark. ................Or would it be better to stay in a local hotel to visit the night markets till late, and just totally skip river cruising?  .......or maybe travel to each destination via train at a more relaxed pace??

please leave advice and memorable moments from your christmas market river cruise here.

Thanks     

Edited by zebs

We did a cruise leaving Amsterdam on December 23rd and arriving in Basel on January 1st.

We did not expect too many Christmas markets, because the vast majority of them close on December 23rd.  

We only saw 3 or 4 and these were on Christmas Day, Boxing Day, and the 27th.  Two were very small and one was large, but also the only thing open in the city so they were packed elbow to elbow.  It was actually hard to enjoy them. 

(You will see in my signature a link to our YouTube channel - our most recent video "Treasures of the Rhine" will give you a taste of the Christmas Markets we did see.)

We are doing Viking's Grand European Tour this coming November leaving Amsterdam on November 24th.  We expect from our research that most will be open in the bigger cities at that point in November.

Many are open during the day often opening as early as 11am.  

You do want to see the markets in the darker hours for the lights - definitely.

Food is everywhere.  Food food food.  For this, although many took cards, you might want to have local currency with you too.

Hi @zebs

If you've not already done so you might like to search this foum as there is much info in Christmas markets, e.g.

and

(I haven't done a Christmas Markets cruise myself and have no intention to because I loathe the cold and dark plus I don't want to buy anything at a Xmas market but my cruising friends went with Riviera and enjoyed themselves)

Sailed Uniworld's Danube Christmas cruise from Budapest the first week in December. This was our first river cruise. Being truthful and not to diminish the experience, it was somewhat disappointing. The food on Uniworld was only ok.  The ship was barely decorated but for the garland on the stair rails, a ginger bread house and a 12" tree on each table. No festive feeling. The markets were all as hoped, though  except for Bratislava, they were all done during daylight. Daytime experiences were most disappointing. Dinner and sail time interfered with night time market visits.  The first day in Budapest, while on the town tour, we were treated to  a light coating of snow which was beautiful.  We had rain in Vienna, sun and clouds the rest of the days. Not too cold, but just right for the holidays. The Vienna market in the rain was very nice and the exclusion to Salzburg was well worth it. It does get dark early, so next time I would be willing to skip a dinner and go eat at the colorful night market or two. Our best tip is to bring packets of hand warmers and lightweight water repellent shoes. We would love to do it all again.

We went last year Basel to Amsterdam. I felt we had a good blend of touring and markets both day and night on the Viking cruise. Ship had somewhat festive decor. I will dig around for the market schedule and post.  I would recommend if possible to stay a few nights pre and post.  We spent a week post in Netherlands and Belgium (had snow in Brussels) following the cruise. We also did an own our own driving trip one year as well in Alsace region of France. We spent several nights in Colmar which was really nice.  I don’t think you can go wrong choosing between land or ship travel. Go with a plan, but leave room to be flexible. 

I found YouTube to be a great source of info.