What is different on a transatlantic cruise?

on any ship on every line, the time change is completely at the whim of the Captain. Some like 11 am change, some like noon time change, but by far, most change the clocks at 2 AM....at least on the 27 TA's that we have done (Princess, RCCL, and Celebrity)

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, spunks said:

on any ship on every line, the time change is completely at the whim of the Captain. Some like 11 am change, some like noon time change, but by far, most change the clocks at 2 AM....at least on the 27 TA's that we have done (Princess, RCCL, and Celebrity)

I think that the change in the middle of the day is the best choice because then a couple of announcements ship wide get everyone changing their phones, watches, tablets, and laptops while they are awake and in the minute.

Changing at 2am risks many people forgetting and then the ship is running on two times.

5 hours ago, CDNPolar said:

I think that the change in the middle of the day is the best choice because then a couple of announcements ship wide get everyone changing their phones, watches, tablets, and laptops while they are awake and in the minute.

Changing at 2am risks many people forgetting and then the ship is running on two times.

That is my preference as well. The first time I experienced a noon change I thought it was weird, but I soon noticed that it seemed much easier on me. I continue to be amazed that the Captain does not consult me on major decisions like this......

• 3 weeks later...
4 hours ago, Dochobart said:

Cruising eastbound can make early dining a challenge as you lose 1 hour x 8 days 

In a situation like this, I just don't think about time changing, I just work off my clock/watch and still do things by time.... BUT I see what you are saying...  

I am about to do a Westbound crossing where time will go in the opposite direction.

Cruising Eastbound would make dinner move an hour earlier each day.

8 hours ago, Dochobart said:

Cruising eastbound can make early dining a challenge as you lose 1 hour x 8 days 

I guess it depends on where tour starting and ending points are - a typical NY to Southampton crossing is scheduled for seven days, and there is a five time zone difference.