Ports of Call Information by CC staff

Therese S.

Posted (edited)

20 years ago I discovered Cruise Critic and have loved it since for all sorts of information.  Maybe I'm mistaken but wasn't there at one time a section where you could research ports written by staff(?) not fellow cruisers with information on ports of call such as language and currency used at port, customs, what sites not to miss, ease of getting around, top ten things not to miss, a simple map, etc.  I have been searching for this

information all over this site, but no luck.  Maybe it was another cruise information website, but seems like it was CC.  Does anyone else remember this or am I going crazy? 

Edited by Therese S.

3 hours ago, Therese S. said:

20 years ago I discovered Cruise Critic and have loved it since for all sorts of information.  Maybe I'm mistaken but wasn't there at one time a section where you could research ports written by staff(?) not fellow cruisers with information on ports of call such as language and currency used at port, customs, what sites not to miss, ease of getting around, top ten things not to miss, a simple map, etc.  I have been searching for this

information all over this site, but no luck.  Maybe it was another cruise information website, but seems like it was CC.  Does anyone else remember this or am I going crazy? 

Are you referring to this Ports of Call?  
https://www.cruisecritic.com/hub/cruise-ports

Also, the other thread is general information on CC members for Ports of call.

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/2-ports-of-call/

You remember correctly.  I have no idea when nor why they got rid of those pages.  I remember always finding the recommended drink at each destination.  They were information about destinations, not cruise ports.  I actually printed them out and took them with me.

5 hours ago, HotRoot said:

You remember correctly.  I have no idea when nor why they got rid of those pages.  I remember always finding the recommended drink at each destination.  They were information about destinations, not cruise ports.  I actually printed them out and took them with me.

Thank you, happy someone else remembers it.  The wording destination is better than ports of call and I also would print the guides and take with me. The info was so helpful in my early days of cruising.  Now I have two cruises coming up that have ports Ive never been to and want to start learning about them.  It’s strange that cruise critic would drop such helpful information.  

On 3/9/2024 at 11:23 PM, Sarnia 432 said:

Not sure of a cc option, but I always look at

https://www.whatsinport.com

Thanks for the tip.  I did take a look at whatsinport and it's very similar to the information that used to be here on cruise critic.  Now to learn about New Zealand, Australia and some South Pacific ports. 

They are there and I use them all the time.  Just click on the Cruise Critic a tripadvisor company logo at the very top of this page on the left hand corner.  Then on the page, use the microscope  icon on the upper right corner to do a search.  Type the name of the port you want and then click on the port when it pops up in the option where it says overview.   

• Like 1