Seattle: Which train station? Hotel?

Posted (edited)

I completely revamped my upcoming cruise itinerary and my husband and I have decided to fly into Seattle the day before our Alaska cruise and take the train up to Vancouver the morning of.  Financially, it just worked out WAY better.  Plus we've never been to Seattle.  Therefore, I ask you experts.....where should someone stay who has never been to Seattle that is convenient to the catching the train but also seeing some of the sites?  Also, which train station do we depart from?  I'm assuming the King Street Station?  

We fly in from SFO around 11:00am on a Tuesday in July.  Looks like the earliest train to Vancouver on Wednesday leaves around 6am, the next around 7:00am.  I appreciate your help.  

Edited to add:  I think I have the wrong schedule for the train.... Seattle King Street to Vancouver Pacific Central Station leaves SEA at 8:30am.  

Edited by Kingsmom

4 minutes ago, Kingsmom said:

Also, which train station do we depart from?  I'm assuming the King Street Station?  

It is King Street Station. 

5 minutes ago, Kingsmom said:

Therefore, I ask you experts.....where should someone stay who has never been to Seattle that is convenient to the catching the train but also seeing some of the sites? 

It really depends on your budget. There is an Embassy Suites literally right next door and would be the only one I could recommend thats walking distance. The main tourist areas are a bit to the North which would be a very short Uber ride in the morning. Would highly recommend not staying directly next to the station if you do want to sightsee a bit. 

A really neat option that's close is the Arctic Club Hotel which is housed in a former private club. A little more on the expensive side a personal favorite is the Fairmont Olympic. The other one thats super unique is the Edgewater Hotel which is right out on a pier into the harbor. 

7 minutes ago, princeton123211 said:

It is King Street Station. 

It really depends on your budget. There is an Embassy Suites literally right next door and would be the only one I could recommend thats walking distance. The main tourist areas are a bit to the North which would be a very short Uber ride in the morning. Would highly recommend not staying directly next to the station if you do want to sightsee a bit. 

A really neat option that's close is the Arctic Club Hotel which is housed in a former private club. A little more on the expensive side a personal favorite is the Fairmont Olympic. The other one thats super unique is the Edgewater Hotel which is right out on a pier into the harbor. 

Thank you!  I will take a look at some of these.  

3 minutes ago, 9tee2Sea said:

do make sure your train ticket is for Vancouver BC.....NOT Vancouver WA!!!

Yes!  That was my mistake.  I've corrected that error!

3 hours ago, Kingsmom said:

Yes!  That was my mistake.  I've corrected that error!

Happens even to us locals! Rule of thumb - if they are not asking for your passport info, you're going to the wrong Vancouver! 🙂

Some other options --

1) I didn't stay at the Artic Club but we just had a work happy hour there, it is a really unique spot and the bar is fantastic.

2) I live outside the city now but will stay downtown for work sometimes. The Renaissance hotel is a good distance between touristy areas and the train station (15-20 minute walk in either direction to train or tourist attractions)

3) I haven't stayed there, but our consultants stayed at the Courtyard by Marriott Pioneer Square and had a good experience.

4) If you want to splurge, look into the Lotte Hotel - water view rooms are phenomenal, but they are pricey during cruise season.

• Thanks 1

Also watch out @Kingsmom - especially if using a mobile device - for Amtrak's less-than-clear icon use; there is only one morning train with the rest being buses, but since they opted for showing the 'face' of the vehicle as an image they are both little rounded square shapes! Amtrak buses are not only a worse onboard experience than the train, they usually cost more too as you cannot buy Saver tickets...

Hotel-wise, while we mostly blow right through Seattle these days so double-check current reviews, the neighbourhoods we mostly stayed in were around Lower Queen Anne/Seattle Center - we walked to everything around downtown that we visited, only using transit or driving for more distant things like the zoo. Mediterranean Inn and the Pineapple hotels (the Maxwell, Hotel Five) were our most-often-booked hotels, but Hampton/LaQuinta/Homewood all featured at least once on various pre/post-cruise or weekend trips, and we have always loved taking the train.

Exactly which hotel will be most convenient of course depends on which attractions you plan to visit in your X days there, but I'd put proximity to the station as your lowest priority by far - you're only going there once after all, and cabuber fare is unlikely to go over $20 unless you're staying well outside downtown. I don't think we ever broke $15 between Amtrak and hotels mentioned.

• Thanks 1