Livorno Shuttle to Train Station - NCL

Mechman

Does anyone know if NCL still offers a shuttle direct to the train station?  Read an old post from 2022 that said they had a $25 option to get you to the train station, but I am wondering for 2 of us, if a taxi would be faster/cheaper.  We want to maximize our time in Florence, and would rather not have to sit and wait in a shuttle for it to fill up....Thoughts?

I went on a cruise last May 23, and you had to purchase ticket to Livorno city center. from there you go wherever you planned (excursion from NCL, or train, bus etc.) I called NCL today, because I will be cruising again this May, I asked the same and they most likely will have it the same. I do feel they should have a free shuttle service considering you can't just walk the port there. IMO

Based on my two NCL cruises last year (July & Dec), no there isn’t a shuttle to the train station. The city offers the shuttle (I don’t remember exact charge but seems it was 6 or 7 euros-good for length of stay). You can pay by credit card or euros. Expect a long line to buy your tickets as they couldn’t be purchased before getting dock side.

Shuttle in turn takes you to central point where several non-cruise affiliated tour companies operate.  Drop off point is about 1.5 miles to train station.  

If you’re only in port one day you waste (IMO) a lot of time getting to/from train station. There will be taxis ship side, but it’s difficult to get a taxi to only the train station. This port is one where using the NCL sponsored excursion directly to Florence is not a bad option. 

46 minutes ago, Girr said:

This port is one where using the NCL sponsored excursion directly to Florence is not a bad option. 

Or there are bus transfer companies that depart from the squire where the shuttles drop off, taking you either to Florence and back or to Florence and Pisa, then back.

These are cheaper than the ship excursions and easier than getting to the train station, but you also probably lose an hour or more off your possible total visiting time. (The buses are geared to return for the departure time of whatever ship in port leaves earliest...which may short-change you time-wise, if you have a long port day.)

Of course, on the the other hand I've had ship excursions that wasted a good 45 minutes of time at a 'bathroom and shopping stop' before even arriving in Florence.

These situations unfortunately illustrate why visiting Florence on a single day from a cruise ship is less than ideal.

• Like 1