New rules for wheelchair users

We had a problem when we were boarding Britannia last September. This was before the online system and I filled in and emailed off the required form. I had sent an old form and needed to submit the newer version, which I duly did and informed them at the same time of my mother's allergy. I received a reply acknowledging my mother's allergy, so I know they had received the email.

Come to board in Southampton they denied all knowlegde of her request for assistance, and they were quite nasty, almost accusing us of lying, which upset my mother. She was also given a letter stating that if assistance isn't booked in advance it would be denied. On arrival in our cabin there was another letter with regard to her allergy. 

So somewhere along the way they had lost half of the information! 

I did wonder after the cruise if they had listed my name for assistance instead of my mother's.

I was going to complain on her behalf, but became illl after returning.

I now take a hard copy of any forms that I have email/filled in as proof.

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, Lainey123 said:

We were very sure that we had provided all the required information in January including the need for evacuation chair. This has been confirmed by P&O  today when my husband finally managed to speak to someone! They said it looks like a clerical error and that he should email via complaints system if he wants to complain.

they also tried to say it was not their issue as the woman we encountered did not work for P&O!!!!!!!

🤯🤯🤯

Since the booking clerk was only basing her decisions on the P&O system errors, I find that answer absolutely ridiculous and would be demanding a high level apology and a massive amount of compensation.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, purplesea said:

We had a problem when we were boarding Britannia last September. This was before the online system and I filled in and emailed off the required form. I had sent an old form and needed to submit the newer version, which I duly did and informed them at the same time of my mother's allergy. I received a reply acknowledging my mother's allergy, so I know they had received the email.

Come to board in Southampton they denied all knowlegde of her request for assistance, and they were quite nasty, almost accusing us of lying, which upset my mother. She was also given a letter stating that if assistance isn't booked in advance it would be denied. On arrival in our cabin there was another letter with regard to her allergy. 

So somewhere along the way they had lost half of the information! 

I did wonder after the cruise if they had listed my name for assistance instead of my mother's.

I was going to complain on her behalf, but became illl after returning.

I now take a hard copy of any forms that I have email/filled in as proof.

We were made to feel the same ! … and given a letter .

it seemed weird at the time that they suddenly changed their mind - but we were very glad they did!!

image.jpg

My mother's letter was more about the terms and conditions. 

If I had had access to the internet in the terminal I would have been able to show/prove to them that the required paperwork had been sent, and the corresponding correspondence.

Since then everything is done online before sailing on 'My P&O'. After that incidence I have printed off the filled in form and taken it with me should there be any discrepancy! Once bitten, twice shy, as they say.

20240430_193441.jpg

The unfortunate problem experienced by @Lainey123 is sadly cropping up fairly regularly now, either on this forum or elsewhere. It is almost always down to the same issue. The ‘Onboard Needs Questionnaire’ has not been completed.

The moral of this story is that you must complete and submit an ‘On Board Needs’ questionnaire for each and every cruise if you have any mobility issues or needs. Booking an accessible cabin is not enough. Mentioning disabilities or mobility aids when you book, or subsequently, is not enough. If you don’t complete the ‘On Board Needs’ questionnaire and you turn up with something like a mobility scooter there is a very high chance that you will be denied boarding.

I don’t wish to appear insensitive, but as someone who has filled in more of these ‘On Board Needs Questionnaires’ than I care to remember, I frankly struggle to see how people can miss this requirement. The number of prompts and reminders are bordering on over the top. 

• Like 7

• 2 months later...
Posted (edited)

For some reason this seems to be a P&O initiative not standard on Royal Caribbean etc. Are P&O being discriminative against less mobile guests. They do not care if you are a part time wheelchair user and can do cartwheels to evacuate in an emergency they have made their rules and are sticking to them .🤦🏻‍♂️

Edited by Martinwpc63
  • Like 1

Have to agree. I use a walking stick and have diligently completed and submitted the form even though the questioning seems to be heavily loaded to people in wheelchairs. Anyway, regarding other cruise companies, since P&O introduced this rule we have cruised more than once with Marella (excellent btw) and never been asked to complete any disability questionnaires. Likewise we are cruising with Princess later this year (first time with them) and have yet to be asked to complete any disability forms. So I can understand why people are somewhat confused.

Celebrity also has a form to complete pre-cruise. 
I think the difference seems to be P&O are preventing customers from embarking IF they haven’t completed the form AND there aren’t enough evacuation chairs available. As far as I’m aware, no other cruise line does this. 

1 hour ago, sandancer said:

Princess do require an assistance form pennib. We are on a Princess cruise in August and had to complete the form just as we do on P&O. 

1 hour ago, StopTheWorld said:

Celebrity also has a form to complete pre-cruise. 
I think the difference seems to be P&O are preventing customers from embarking IF they haven’t completed the form AND there aren’t enough evacuation chairs available. As far as I’m aware, no other cruise line does this. 

Is this for walking sticks as opposed to wheelchairs? The filling in for walking stick users seems to be a P&O and Cunard only rule.  Certainly never filled in a form for walking stick on Celebrity at Christmas.

37 minutes ago, StopTheWorld said:

I was referring to the Celebrity Special Needs form. I complete one before each cruise. Tried to post the link to it here, but not working. If you google it will show. 

Thank you. I have now read it and there appears to be no need to declare a walking stick.  I've also looked at Princess and again nowhere does it ask you to declare a walking stick.

P&O and Cunard insist on walking stick declarations and in most cases one to one assistance if you declare one, I think this is what Pennib was referring to.

• Like 1

I completed a form for P & O on 22/7 for my cruise Feb 25, yesterday I got an e-Mail inviting me to complete one!! Very frustrating indeed.
It then gets you thinking have they received it? Have I to complete it again? Are they just behind on work? Should I ring up and check? 

Procedures need changing/ updating.
A basic check/tick box like “has a form been received?” The next question “has form been completed in full?” could be the next stage to stop needless e-mails and worry for customers

Michelle

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Peanut006 said:

I completed a form for P & O on 22/7 for my cruise Feb 25, yesterday I got an e-Mail inviting me to complete one!! Very frustrating indeed.
It then gets you thinking have they received it? Have I to complete it again? Are they just behind on work? Should I ring up and check? 

A basic check/tick box like “has a form been received?” The next question “has form been completed in full?” could be the next stage to stop needless e-mails and worry for customers

Michelle

Does your cruise planner show the form as submitted and the date, 22/7?  If not I would suggest calling them.  I had two cruises booked same day and form submitted for both as soon as cruise planner confirmed my bookings.  After a month one still showed nothing but the other did.  I called them and the second form was traced and the correct submission date appeared for both.  The lady who checked said it was an oversight but she was glad I didn't fill in a second form as it would move me down the list whatever that means.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Peanut006 said:

Michelle

We have had the same problem, I just put it down to the usual P&O IT inadequacies.

• 1 month later...

I booked a cruise onboard Iona for 35 days in a Disability Cabin which was PARTIALLY ADAPTED, but has the same door width and bathroom as an Accessible cabin. Now had email stating if I’m a FULL TIME MOBILITY SCOOTER USER I cannot use it. I’m not a full time user I do walk with one or two crutches.

I do not need to use my Scooter to get around the cabin like the new law is saying, so how do I go about having this law amended for the likes of me.

Derek.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, sandancer said:

It’s all confusing but it seems to me that if you are taking a mobility scooter you have to book a fully accessible cabin. I’m not saying that is definitely the case, only my take on it. 

You are correct and it is now the same for electric wheelchairs pf any type.

1 hour ago, GOLDSURFER said:

I booked a cruise onboard Iona for 35 days in a Disability Cabin which was PARTIALLY ADAPTED, but has the same door width and bathroom as an Accessible cabin. Now had email stating if I’m a FULL TIME MOBILITY SCOOTER USER I cannot use it. I’m not a full time user I do walk with one or two crutches.

I do not need to use my Scooter to get around the cabin like the new law is saying, so how do I go about having this law amended for the likes of me.

Derek.

As others have said, the rules have changed and unfortunately anyone with a powered scooter or wheelchair must now book a fully accessible cabin, whether they need one or not. I say ‘unfortunately’ because in our case we simply cannot cruise without a fully accessible cabin and this new policy reduces our chances of booking a cruise considerably. 

Fully accessible cabins are hard to come by at the best of times, and many people will now be in the same situation as yourself. My advice would be to call P&O or your travel agent (whoever you booked with) and sort this out as a matter of urgency. Sadly, if others beat you to it, or there is no more availability, your cruise booking is likely to be cancelled. 

If a Passenger is booked into a PARTIALLY ADAPTED CABIN then a Maritime law makes a change. In respect to say if you need the scooter to get around the cabin you cannot use it. But the passenger doesn’t need the scooter to get around the cabin, as he only needs it for distance walking.

Can the new law be emended to say this for passengers in that predicament.

I would be grateful if you have an answer for me.

Derek Reginald Tutt 85 years of age.

24 minutes ago, GOLDSURFER said:

If a Passenger is booked into a PARTIALLY ADAPTED CABIN then a Maritime law makes a change. In respect to say if you need the scooter to get around the cabin you cannot use it. But the passenger doesn’t need the scooter to get around the cabin, as he only needs it for distance walking.

Can the new law be emended to say this for passengers in that predicament.

I would be grateful if you have an answer for me.

Derek Reginald Tutt 85 years of age.

Derek - I think it’s something to do with fire risk of the batteries and room to escape from the cabin etc. With respect, none of us on here make up the rules (they’d be different if we did 😂) and as mentioned in my last post I’d strongly advise you not to waste any time debating it on here but get on to whoever you booked with PDQ, as many others will have received the same email and you may already now be too late. Time is of the essence. Just trying to be helpful.  

• Like 4

@GOLDSURFER, what is this maritime law change you write about?  There is no change in any law regarding accessibility; it is just P&O changing a policy about what type of mobility devices can be stored in certain cabins.  It may be for a valid reason, the most likely reason being that crew would have difficulty accessing the mobility device in an emergency or evacuation if it wasn't in a fully accessible cabin.  Quite apart from that reason being ambiguous and open to arguments about its necessity and validity, the way in which they have communicated the change to their passengers, without a full explanation of the reasons behind it, it nothing more than calamitous, and treats us like idiotic sheep.**

I get what you're writing about with your comparison of the partially accessible cabin to the fully accessible one, with the cabin doors and bathroom being exactly the same. I presume you intend to store your scooter in the hallway of the cabin of an evening; that is what we have done with our lass's power chair when we have stayed in a partially accessible cabin. My argument would be, the hallway of a partially accessible cabin is exactly the same dimensions as a fully accessible cabin. It is only once you enter the bedroom area that the floorspace is bigger in a fully accessible cabin; so, in an emergency the access to her power chair is exactly the same regardless of whether we are in a partially accessible cabin or a fully accessible cabin.   Do you think then, if my argument is valid, they will make a special dispensation for us? No, they won't; I wouldn't expect them to either. So, rest assured, they won't amend the policy for you either, or anyone else in the same predicament.

As @molecrochip wrote in a different thread about this subject: 'their ship, their rules'.

**Disclaimer: I feel it necessary to point out that not all sheep are idiotic; Shaun certainly isn't. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, BrianI said:

This topic was brought up on the BBC One show tonight. It’s about 10 mins into the programme

Brian

After reading your post, I have just watched that segment.  I note that P&O cannot even fully explain to the BBC why this policy has been brought in now, just the stock answer that it's due to a change in regulations. 🙄

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, BrianI said:

This topic was brought up on the BBC One show tonight. It’s about 10 mins into the programme

Brian

Interesting to see that P&O didn't say why they had changed the policy even though they had been asked 3 times!